• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Brits have such an inferiority complex with the U.S.?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Reading through a little of this thread demonstrates one clear fact.
It is that Americans seem to be preoccupied with the British and all things British
Perhaps as a way of trying to give them self a false credibility.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Reading through a little of this thread demonstrates one clear fact.
It is that Americans seem to be preoccupied with the British and all things British
Perhaps as a way of trying to give them self a false credibility.

oh please! that is the exact opposite of what is going on. Do Americans sit around watching british TV all day? NO, the brits sit around watching American TV (and our movies).

Do US newspapers report all about what is going on in the UK all the time? NOPE, but UK newspapers report all about what is going on in America.

American culture is all over the UK because the brits are obsessed. :cool:

Feel free to keep telling yourself whatever you want to believe though, you should be easy to fool as you are british.

SoyLeche

meh...
oh please! that is the exact opposite of what is going on. Do Americans sit around watching british TV all day? NO, the brits sit around watching American TV (and our movies).

Do US newspapers report all about what is going on in the UK all the time? NOPE, but UK newspapers report all about what is going on in America.

Feel free to keep telling yourself whatever you want to believe though, you should be easy to fool as you are british.
To be fair - I do look forward to watching "Doctor Who" every week.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Brits do not chose to watch American TV It is just that they cost so little for the broadcaster to buy that they flood us with them.
I can not think of an American programme I watch... but they are certainly transmitted. Parliament is trying to restrict the percentage that transmitters can put out. Americans including those who post on these forums seems to very regularly quote the BBC. and you watch many spinoffs from our old established programmes such as the office and antiques road show... some even think they were American shows to start with.
You have that wrong, we get a lot of world news a small part of which sometimes covers America. We are not at all insular.
I have yet to meet these people who follow American Culture.. Ok it is mocked a lot on our culture programmes and indepth news programmes, but not to the extent of being obsessive one way or the other.

we are of course free to believe what we like. We do not need pundits to tell us what to believe, we tend to think for ourselves

mcteethinator

Idiosyncratic Muslim

As opposed to US newspapers, which barely report on anything not American or related to America.

and you watch many spinoffs from our old established programmes such as the office and antiques road show... some even think they were American shows to start with.

As a fan of the original British Office, that saddens me.

Americans like stealing British shows and then claiming it as their own I've noticed.

we are of course free to believe what we like. We do not need pundits to tell us what to believe, we tend to think for ourselves

:yes:

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i feel the need to point out that they created an alternative ending for the recent film "Pride and Prejudice" so that the americans could understand it... *giggles*

Smoke

Done here.
Do Americans sit around watching british TV all day?
Not all day. I mean, other than World News Today and all the Britcoms and Robin Hood and Dr Who and Graham Norton and EastEnders and Hotel Babylon and Planet Earth and Blue Planet and Life on Earth and Living Planet and The Private Life of Plants and The Naked Chef and Bob and Margaret, it's hard to think of much British programming I've really enjoyed.

Nothing to compare to great American shows like Hope and Faith, right?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Not all day. I mean, other than World News Today and all the Britcoms and Robin Hood and Dr Who and Graham Norton and EastEnders and Hotel Babylon and Planet Earth and Blue Planet and Life on Earth and Living Planet and The Private Life of Plants and The Naked Chef and Bob and Margaret, it's hard to think of much British programming I've really enjoyed.

not a QI fan then? oh well, you can't appreciate everything i guess ;)

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Well spoken, old man!

Good form I should say and what's all this then?

Hmmm..It may be time to move the telly out of my flat.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur

Wow, you watch a lot of TV...