• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Brits have such an inferiority complex with the U.S.?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
we try to keep it less serious so you brits can understand what is going on. We know they don't really educate anyone over there anymore and brits are slow to begin with.

:bonk:
Ah! D'you know, I thought that this was serious. I am obviously slow and uneducated. (well, I didn't need you to point that out, I already knew it).

I was not aware the British had any inferiority complex, though it's pretty clear the Americans have a rather inflated image of themselves. Despite embarrassing (and falling) scores on comparative quality-of-life indices many Americans are still convinced we live in the best country in the world.

As far as the revolution goes, history shows it's awfully difficult to "win" over a popular insurgency, even if you have huge resources and a powerful army. Even so, it was surprising that the colonies managed to oust the British, even with the assistance of France and Spain.

I don't think the Brits (I am not a "real" one) have an inferiority complex; in fact, I think that before my generation, there was a superiority complex............one that maybe was misguided, earned through Colonalisation for purely selfish purposes (isn't that all colonialisation was about?), but the map of the world did have rather of a lot under British rule.

I think it would be accurate to say that most British people now just see themselves as a nation which is very ordinary, but which is used by every other country whenever help is needed.

We are terribly good at allowing almost anyone in, and making sure that their rights are cared for far better than any native's.
If you want to make fun of the Brits, always go for their cuisine. The real reason they conquered India wasn't imperialism; they were in search of some decent cooking.

I guess you may have a point; plain English cooking used to be just that - rather plain.
I was going to say that (I heard this recently) we invented the word "Curry", but the etymology of curry appears to be derived from "spice," 1681, from Tamil kari "sauce, relish for rice."

Nowadays, of course, it is British cuisine that one finds in the poshest of european countries...............such is snobbery.:D

Pariah

Let go
Although I enjoy Tangnefedd on the forums, I must say, the amount of posts this thread has generated only furthers the point that everyone wishes they could be American.

you know, these arguments about which nation is better than which, who defeated who in which war and why...it's all such circular nonsensical talk. Take WWII for instance, why the hell does anyone try and claim they were the only important factor in that war? I think the only way to view the war is like looking at a machine - certain cogs in the machine might well be bigger than others, but the whole machine would not have functioned if one of the cogs were removed.

Example - Operation Overlord - UK and Imperial forces attacked half the beaches - no british troops would have meant american forces being spread more thin.

Battle of Britain, 1940 - the battle americans never mention when they go off on these rants about how they saved bus - before you so rashly claim we couldn't stand up to Hitler, just you remember that in 1940, before you were even in the war, we were alone on the western front fighting and defeating Hitlers airforce - our victory in that battle drove Hitler to give up his invasion plans of the UK, and he proceeded to his disastrous Russian campain, Operation Barbarossa. Let us also not forget Montgomery's stunning victories in North Africa, and our victories against the German navy.

So you see, there was a hell of a lot of other war going on, and each country played its part. That any one country would try to claim that it was the sole reason for saving another is frankly absurd. All this talk about British having an inferiority complex...what?! I think the problem here lies with you my friend, since I absolutely do not have an inferiority complex. I don't consider myself inferior or superior to any other nationality, since nationality is merely a human invention, we're all the same animal at the end of the day. We all have our strengths and weaknesses - as every nation has it's great points in history as well as its shames and blunders.

Britain was a superpower, arguably a superpower that exercised far greater power than the US does today - we're talking about the difference between influence and jurisdiction - we had direct control over almost half the world, as well as the influence that came with that - our military crushed all manner of opposition and enemy and, and UK foreign policy shaped much of the world. Those were very different times. We crushed many enemies, and yet indeed encountered defeat, as America has also in the past few decades - look at Vietnam.

It's easy to get all coarse, mindlessly and blindly slamming an entire nation for this, that and the other - but such an easy task bears no fruit unfortunately, so...just shut the hell up and say something useful

Maaaan, hes is just joking.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Actually, we didn't really "whip" them in the Revolutionary war, and we needed the French in order to win at all (it's a good thing the French hated the British so much, don't ya think?)

We whipped them in the War of 1812.
We didn't whip them in 1812 either. Unless you call letting them march into our nation's capital and burn down the White House, the Congressional buildings, our Library of Congress, and our Treasury "whipping them."

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
we try to keep it less serious so you brits can understand what is going on. We know they don't really educate anyone over there anymore and brits are slow to begin with.

:bonk:
Um... this is generally not my kind of humour but I have to admit THAT'S pretty funny. :p frubals!

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
We didn't whip them in 1812 either. Unless you call letting them march into our nation's capital and burn down the White House, the Congressional buildings, our Library of Congress, and our Treasury "whipping them."
From wiki:
Less than a day after the attack began, a hurricane which included a tornado passed through, damaging the invaders and putting out the fires. This forced the British troops to return to their ships, many of which were badly damaged by the storm, and so the actual occupation of Washington lasted about 26 hours. President Madison and the rest of the government quickly returned to the city.

Hmm...maybe we do have God on our side after all. :p

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
From wiki:
Less than a day after the attack began, a hurricane which included a tornado passed through, damaging the invaders and putting out the fires. This forced the British troops to return to their ships, many of which were badly damaged by the storm, and so the actual occupation of Washington lasted about 26 hours. President Madison and the rest of the government quickly returned to the city.

Hmm...maybe we do have God on our side after all. :p

Of course God is on our side.

He's an American too.