• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Brits have such an inferiority complex with the U.S.?

mcteethinator

Idiosyncratic Muslim
1187756191933.jpg

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I'll also admit that I really liked reading Sherlock Holmes as a kid but it took a Brit on Coke to come up with that good stuff. :)

Now, now. We all write better with a little pharmicutical assistance (now where did I put that tube of airplane glue...)

Melissa G

Non Veritas Verba Amanda
I don't feel inferior to Americans. The fact is the British Empire was the largest Empire the world has known. And besides, America has adopted British Institutions, and remains bonded to the mother Country, the facts are, without the British, America wouldn't be what it is today.

Melissa G

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
i feel the need to point out that they created an alternative ending for the recent film "Pride and Prejudice" so that the americans could understand it... *giggles*
No way!

I hope all you Yanks that can actually appreciate culture died a little inside after reading this.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
No way!

I hope all you Yanks that can actually appreciate culture died a little inside after reading this.

Not at all. Many of Sheakspear's plays were originally presented with alternative endings (to a British audience) for exactly the same reason, as well as other reasons; Hamlet was considerred to gory, Romeo and Juliet, too sad.

The American habit of misunderstanding is often misunderstood. A lot of our apparent ignorance is intentional (although admitedly, a lot of it isn't). We have our cowboy persona to live up to after all.

When you get past the chewing tabbaco and recreational vulgarity you often find that there's a perfectly reasonable mind behind it all, and a depth of apprieciation for the arts that you wouldn't have expected.

Oscar Wilde was more well recieved in the mining camps of the American old west than he was in London society of his day.

Prometheus X

Comprehend, I hope you have a surgeon friend who can dislodge your tongue that is obviously wedged deeply into your cheek, but for goodness sake! Who are you trying to kid?

I was in the British Army, see my avatar, I have served all over the world in many countries and situations and the one overriding message that all militarymen, the world over seem to agree on is that the US Army are the laughing stock of the World.

It is impossible for an Englishman to feel inferior to anyone else in the world, but inferior to a yank. You should get one of those 'laughter medals' for making me laugh. You yankee boys do love your medals, don't you?

The only good thing to come out of America is the British Airways flight to Heathrow.