• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do believers love God?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have studied the life of Abdul Baha and I find he did nothing other than trying to keep his inherited domain, which he had to pass to his grandson before his line got petered out.

That is what happens when Love is not the motivating factor of a search for the real truth.

Regards Tony

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What does love has to do when I am critically studying about someone's life? Research requires neutrality.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Men said they were God.

In creation thesis to end and remain as one formed form there is no human as we die.

Only sex allows us to keep having new human experiences.

Hence why science of men thinking make a status about science terms that is completely fake.

Always was.

No argument would ever be uttered in a humans life.

Reason you have to exist first as the human being human to own the claim I am a human.

Pretty basic. Logic. Common sense. No argument whatsoever.

Say to a human if you all stop having sex. Human life would age and die out. No sex no babies no life continuing.

Yet the very basic of human advice is completely ignored for what truthful reason?

Is a scientist going to invent a human eternal life first?

As the theist human who keeps inferring a non reality for a hu man?

If so please advise us all how you are going to invent it for us all by a machine state!

To remain your own self. Never changing. To live forever. A human self conscious identified as their owned self.

muhammad_isa

God requires Love..
G-d doesn't require anything.
We are the ones in need.
Disrespect for G-d and others is a case of wronging our own souls.

Many from amongst mankind consider themselves independent,
while they are not, whether individually or collectively.
We belong to G-d, and to Him we will return.

..so I would choose:
(b) Because I see objective evidence in the world that indicates to me that God is good and worthy of being loved

I see that righteousness brings success individually and collectively,
and that G-d does not leave His creation in darkness. He loves us.
If we take one step towards G-d, He comes running towards us.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I think it is proven in every moment. Things exist therefore they are loved by God. To exist is good in itself, willing the good of another is love, therefore as things exist and are preserved in existence they are loved by God. The bottles on the floor in my room are loved, as am I and all things.

Such is my opinion at least.

good that covid exists. And ebola, too. Not to mention the beauty and goodness of children’s cancer.

so, it seems that God loves poverty, suffering, the untimely and painful death of children, since all those things exist. Correct?

ciao

- viole

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Another way of phrasing that, is to say, believers don't want people who hate the true God to enter paradise (if they die in this state) and to be punished severely for it (if they die in this state). Of course, you see it that they just want people to believe as they do.
How do you know what the true God is? What if you love a false God? Does that entail that you hate the true one, Whomever that is?

ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
G-d doesn't require anything.
We are the ones in need.
Disrespect for G-d and others is a case of wronging our own souls.
With “we” I guess you mean “you”. Anyway, you assume the existence of souls, and that renders your argument circular.

souls.

Many from amongst mankind consider themselves independent,
while they are not, whether individually or collectively.
We belong to G-d, and to Him we will return.
Again “you”. I would not generalize, despite the cognitive dissonances that you might experience at the idea of humans needing no god, goddess, whatsoever.

..so I would choose:
(b) Because I see objective evidence in the world that indicates to me that God is good and worthy of being loved
With the possible exception of children cancer, and many other things. As usual.

I see that righteousness brings success individually and collectively,
and that G-d does not leave His creation in darkness. He loves us.
If we take one step towards G-d, He comes running towards us.

which God? There are several. And their believers make the same claim with the same evidence. So, what epistemology would you suggest so that we do not love the wrong one?

ciao

- viole

muhammad_isa

With “we” I guess you mean “you”. Anyway, you assume the existence of souls, and that renders your argument circular.
No .. I mean everybody.
You can translate "soul" any way you like .. all people can be happy or sad .. poor mental health etc.

which God? There are several..
I think you know very well..
You have been on this site long enough to know.
Muslims, Christians and Jews believe in G-d.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
No .. I mean everybody.
You can translate "soul" any way you like .. all people can be happy or sad .. poor mental health etc.
Well, count me out, please.
think you know very well..
You have been on this site long enough to know.
Muslims, Christians and Jews believe in G-d.
Oh, cool. i was not aware they are the same. So, your God is ls also triune?

ciao

- viole

muhammad_isa

..your God is ls also triune?
Why do you ask, when you know the answer?
Aren't we all monotheists?

People believe all kinds of things.
It doesn't effect the basic notion that God is our Creator/Father.

Some people might not love their mother and father.
What a shame :(

Colt

Why do believers love God?
Below are the multiple choices. You can pick one or more, or give me another reason I hadn't thought of.

(a) Because the scriptures of their religion tell them that God is good and they should love God
(b) Because they see objective evidence in the world that indicates to them that God is good and worthy of being loved
(c) Because they believe that God is good since God has been good to them in their lives
(d) None of the above because I don’t love God

The scriptures of my religion say that God created humans out of His love for us and that we are supposed to love God, because otherwise we cut ourselves off from God’s love.

3: O SON OF MAN! Veiled in My immemorial being and in the ancient eternity of My essence, I knew My love for thee; therefore I created thee, have engraved on thee Mine image and revealed to thee My beauty.

4: O SON OF MAN! I loved thy creation, hence I created thee. Wherefore, do thou love Me, that I may name thy name and fill thy soul with the spirit of life.”

5: O SON OF BEING! Love Me, that I may love thee. If thou lovest Me not, My love can in no wise reach thee. Know this, O servant.

The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 4

In all honesty I had to pick (d). Why can’t I love God?

First, I believe God created a world that is a storehouse of suffering where He knew people would suffer, often through no fault of their own. Not only that, the all-knowing God knew that some people would suffer much more than other people and I do not consider this fair and equitable.

Second, I believe that God determines fate for the most part, leaving very little room for any choices. Any free will that people have is circumscribed by many factors such as childhood upbringing, heredity, education, adult experiences, and present life circumstances, so many people cannot just make changes they would like to make. So many things are beyond our control, and it is God who determines much of our fate.

Third, on top of all of the above the Baha’i Writings say that God sends tests for our own perfection and we should be grateful for the tests. Because of the tests I have always endured, whether God is actually sending them or not, I keep looking over my shoulder waiting for another test.

Will the tests of this life ever end? Is God sending these tests on purpose or are they just part of life? If they are just part of life, why do some people get more tests than other people? I am supposed to believe I am favored by God because I am tested more than others so I will end up being stronger and more spiritual, but I cannot make myself believe that even if it is true, since there is no evidence that is or will be the case. All we have are scriptures that say that and I cannot believe based on scriptures when I see no objective evidence.

How can people love a God that is responsible for any or all of the above? It is my concerted opinion that the main reason people love God is because of (a) and (c) above but I cannot love God because scriptures tell me I should and I cannot love God based upon how good God has been to me, since I do not feel that has been the case, although I am willing to admit I might be wrong since my perceptions of my past and present life situation could be wrong.

I want to love God but I have to have a reason that makes sense to me, so I thought by starting this thread some people might give me some reasons that make sense to me.

Sincerely, Trailblazer. :)
It's a kind of natural maternal bond.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Why do you ask, when you know the answer?
Aren't we all monotheists?

People believe all kinds of things.
It doesn't effect the basic notion that God is our Creator/Father.

Some people might not love their mother and father.
What a shame :(
What I am arguing here is that you are not loving the same God, unless you believe that triune gods are the same as non triune ones. That gods with a divine son, are the same as gods that have no kids whatsoever. Which is logically absurd. Not to include in the list several hundreds of millions of Hindus, whose gods are also pretty different from yours. And all other gods of the present and past.

the only logical conclusion is that most of you theists, if not all, are just loving a not existing divinity. Since you cannot all be right. And that conclusion is inescapable just by simple logic.

and, that brings me back to my question: which one should I love? The one who sends flying horses to pick up prophets, the one who has sent 1/3 of Himself to sort of die for our sins, or the one who looks like an elephant?

ciao

- viole

firedragon

Veteran Member
What does love has to do when I am critically studying about someone's life? Research requires neutrality.

What are the sources you are using to study his life? Just asking because there aren't many sources. If you can advice I will really appreciate it.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Did God know all (including the future?)?
No. God knows all possible things to know, future is impossible to predict if free-will is a reality.

Is God hapless....stumbling around without a clue of future consequences?

It was improbable, humans and Jinn rebelling against God was all improbable. Chances were Adam doesn't look towards the exalted ones (the blessed tree) with envy and chances were even after that, that humans would cling to God's guidance and chosen ones. Sure some disobedience was expected, but not this.

This is a disaster, this was improbable in God's calculations.

Is God powerless to prevent human suffering?

Yes, at this point. He and his master king on earth are trying their best, but they won't break the rules of this world, it's a trial after all, that we face like previous generations did.

Can God defeat Satan?

God won't break his promise of giving him respite. The challenge was done, our failure grieves him, the culture of disbelief and rebelling passed on gives God great grief, but he won't override his word. There is no changing his word. Most so far are going to hell. Will this continue?

I don't know if it will or not continue, maybe most humans still can be saved if we can return to the Mahdi soon enough and on good terms.

Can God liberate hell?

Hell is the result of our actions and disbelief, apathy or hate stemmed, we can no longer earn value after witnessing day of judgment. So his wrath will never disappear or calm down for those who enter hell.

We have till death to reform ourselves then must face the consequences or benefits of what we reaped.

Last edited:

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What I am arguing here is that you are not loving the same God, unless you believe that triune gods are the same as non triune ones. That gods with a divine son, are the same as gods that have no kids whatsoever. Which is logically absurd. Not to include in the list several hundreds of millions of Hindus, whose gods are also pretty different from yours. And all other gods of the present and past.

the only logical conclusion is that most of you theists, if not all, are just loving a not existing divinity. Since you cannot all be right. And that conclusion is inescapable just by simple logic.

and, that brings me back to my question: which one should I love? The one who sends flying horses to pick up prophets, the one who has sent 1/3 of Himself to sort of die for our sins, or the one who looks like an elephant?

ciao

- viole

The light is connected to you and all things. Believe in the Lord of the light and discover what and who the light of God is.