• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do believers love God?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Why do believers love God?
Below are the multiple choices. You can pick one or more, or give me another reason I hadn't thought of.

(a) Because the scriptures of their religion tell them that God is good and they should love God
(b) Because they see objective evidence in the world that indicates to them that God is good and worthy of being loved
(c) Because they believe that God is good since God has been good to them in their lives
(d) None of the above because I don’t love God

The scriptures of my religion say that God created humans out of His love for us and that we are supposed to love God, because otherwise we cut ourselves off from God’s love.

3: O SON OF MAN! Veiled in My immemorial being and in the ancient eternity of My essence, I knew My love for thee; therefore I created thee, have engraved on thee Mine image and revealed to thee My beauty.

4: O SON OF MAN! I loved thy creation, hence I created thee. Wherefore, do thou love Me, that I may name thy name and fill thy soul with the spirit of life.”

5: O SON OF BEING! Love Me, that I may love thee. If thou lovest Me not, My love can in no wise reach thee. Know this, O servant.

The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 4

In all honesty I had to pick (d). Why can’t I love God?

First, I believe God created a world that is a storehouse of suffering where He knew people would suffer, often through no fault of their own. Not only that, the all-knowing God knew that some people would suffer much more than other people and I do not consider this fair and equitable.

Second, I believe that God determines fate for the most part, leaving very little room for any choices. Any free will that people have is circumscribed by many factors such as childhood upbringing, heredity, education, adult experiences, and present life circumstances, so many people cannot just make changes they would like to make. So many things are beyond our control, and it is God who determines much of our fate.

Third, on top of all of the above the Baha’i Writings say that God sends tests for our own perfection and we should be grateful for the tests. Because of the tests I have always endured, whether God is actually sending them or not, I keep looking over my shoulder waiting for another test.

Will the tests of this life ever end? Is God sending these tests on purpose or are they just part of life? If they are just part of life, why do some people get more tests than other people? I am supposed to believe I am favored by God because I am tested more than others so I will end up being stronger and more spiritual, but I cannot make myself believe that even if it is true, since there is no evidence that is or will be the case. All we have are scriptures that say that and I cannot believe based on scriptures when I see no objective evidence.

How can people love a God that is responsible for any or all of the above? It is my concerted opinion that the main reason people love God is because of (a) and (c) above but I cannot love God because scriptures tell me I should and I cannot love God based upon how good God has been to me, since I do not feel that has been the case, although I am willing to admit I might be wrong since my perceptions of my past and present life situation could be wrong.

I want to love God but I have to have a reason that makes sense to me, so I thought by starting this thread some people might give me some reasons that make sense to me.

Sincerely, Trailblazer. :)

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why do believers love God? Below are the multiple choices. You can pick one or more, or give me another reason I hadn't thought of.

(a) Because the scriptures of their religion tell them that God is good and they should love God
(b) Because they see objective evidence in the world that indicates to them that God is good and worthy of being loved
(c) Because they believe that God is good since God has been good to them in their lives

The scriptures of my religion say that God created humans out of His love for us and that we are supposed to love God, because otherwise we cut ourselves off from God’s love.

3: O SON OF MAN! Veiled in My immemorial being and in the ancient eternity of My essence, I knew My love for thee; therefore I created thee, have engraved on thee Mine image and revealed to thee My beauty.

4: O SON OF MAN! I loved thy creation, hence I created thee. Wherefore, do thou love Me, that I may name thy name and fill thy soul with the spirit of life.”

5: O SON OF BEING! Love Me, that I may love thee. If thou lovest Me not, My love can in no wise reach thee. Know this, O servant.

First, I believe God created a world that is a storehouse of suffering where He knew people would suffer, often through no fault of their own. Not only that, the all-knowing God knew that some people would suffer much more than other people and I do not consider this fair and equitable.

Second, I believe that God determines fate for the most part, leaving very little room for any choices. Any free will that people have is circumscribed by many factors such as childhood upbringing, heredity, education, adult experiences, and present life circumstances, so many people cannot just make changes they would like to make. So many things are beyond our control, and it is God who determines much of our fate.

Third, on top of all of the above the Baha’i Writings say that God sends tests for our own perfection and we should be grateful for the tests. Because of the tests I have always endured, whether God is actually sending them or not, I keep looking over my shoulder waiting for another test.

Will the tests of this life ever end? Is God sending these tests on purpose or are they just part of life? If they are just part of life, why do some people get more tests than other people? I am supposed to believe I am favored by God because I am tested more than others so I will end up being stronger and more spiritual, but I cannot make myself believe that even if it is true, since there is no evidence that is or will be the case. All we have are scriptures that say that and I cannot believe based on scriptures when I see no objective evidence.

How can people love a God that is responsible for any or all of the above? It is my concerted opinion that the main reason people love God is because of (a) and (c) above but I cannot love God because scriptures tell me I should and I cannot love God based upon how good God has been to me, since I do not feel that has been the case, although I am willing to admit I might be wrong since my perceptions of my past and present life situation could be wrong.

I want to love God but I have to have a reason that makes sense to me, so I thought by starting this thread some people might give me some reasons that make sense to me.

I see it is because God is naught but Love.

The most sublime and perfect Love we can imagine or can experience in this life, still does not show us the immensity of that Love.

The pain and suffering we face in this world is all part of Love, Faith allows us to embrace all the good and the bad, in the knowledge that only Love results.

I guess it is what many call enlightenment, where we transcend self to be immersed in that Love.

No easy feat, it is a battle we all face in this life, Regards Tony

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Why do believers love God? Below are the multiple choices. You can pick one or more, or give me another reason I hadn't thought of.

B: and probably C for me.

To me, God is everywhere, without God this human realm would not exist. Actually I see personal "evidence" of God every single day.
I don't look for the old man in the sky, but the smallest detail in everyday life.

Tests? Yes they come all the time. They used to bring me suffering, but now they are a reminder of what I lack of understanding.

Lain

Why do believers love God? Below are the multiple choices. You can pick one or more, or give me another reason I had not thought of.

(a) Because their scriptures tell them that God is good and they should love God

A, B, and C for me. A is obvious for Christians "God is love" being one of the most famous assertions of Christianity. B is due to the existence and preservation of things, the glorification of the Saints, and so on, and everything concerning the Lord Jesus, which all show that He wills good to all things. C is for all and anything particular to my life, including existing, being forgiven, learning about God, answers to prayers, and experiencing God Himself who immediately makes the soul love and praise Him, nothing else can be done in His presence.

Despite all of this I fall short all the time of loving God as one ought (which although it is never enough to do so requires that one unreservedly give their entire being to Him, at least that much is owed out of justice).

I find that studying nature, visiting the cemetery, prayer, mental prayer especially, studying the Scriptures/Saints/etc, and serving others increases love for God in oneself.

So far in my life evil and suffering whether to me or to others does not change my judgment concerning God, for I can see with my eyes and know with the eyes of my mind that all things are loved by God.

All of the above is my opinion.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God is my sword and shield, the richness in my poverty, the peace in my affliction, and the light in the darkness. If I don't love God, what will I love?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Tests? Yes they come all the time. They used to bring me suffering, but now they are a reminder of what I lack of understanding.
I do not know what tests you have endured or still endure, only you and God can know that, and also only God knows who suffers most, but I don't think most believers give a rip how many people suffer or how much they suffer. They will love the God who is responsible for that suffering anyway while they throw out all their religious apologetic. Meanwhile, I am okay with saying I don't know what God allows so much suffering.

Call me egotistical, call me anything you want to, but as you said in your new thread, I am standing my ground.

RestlessSoul

Well now. Love is almost as difficult a word to define, as God. Both words have as many usages as users, seemingly. But I think they are synonymous. This appears to be the essence of many if not most faith traditions; that to know God is to know unselfish unconditional love, for ourselves, for others, and for all living things.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I do not know what tests you have endured or still endure, only you and God can know that, and also only God knows who suffers most, but I don't think most believers give a rip how many people suffer or how much they suffer. They will love the God who is responsible for that suffering anyway while they throw out all their religious apologetic. Meanwhile, I am okay with saying I don't know what God allows so much suffering.

Call me egotistical, call me anything you want to, but as you said in your new thread, I am standing my ground.
Tests that has been losing someone dear to me very suddenly, being affected by Covid, testing my fsith in God, the list goes on.

I have no reason to call you bad things.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Despite all of this I fall short all the time of loving God as one ought (which although it is never enough to do so requires that one unreservedly give their entire being to Him, at least that much is owed out of justice).
I understand all of what you are saying, I really do, and I half-hardheartedly agree about some of it, but then I got to what you said above.

Why should we love God give their entire being to Him? Why do we owe God anything? I know what Christians believe, God gave His only Son, but I do not believe that was any sacrifice on God's part since God has the entire universe.

Do you completely miss all the suffering in this world and only see the good? I guess I don't get it and I never will. I really should have been an atheist as my husband always says. I do not think like a believer at all. :(

Truth be told, I wrote this thread over a month ago and it's original title was "Why I cannot forgive God."
I also write a thread I never posted entitled "What does religion do to people?"

RestlessSoul

I don’t think there’s ever been a satisfactory answer to the question, “why do bad things happen to good people?” So I don’t expect to learn the answer in this life.

Without darkness though, would we ever know the light? Or would we be blinded by it? Without death, would there be life? This world is built on drama, contrast, contradiction. Every joy is balanced by a sorrow, all energy is balanced by fatigue, heat is balanced by cold, new with old. It’s the exhausting exhilarating dance that troubles the world, forever moving the stars and the atoms from which we are made. It is what it is, but only a fool would say it has no purpose.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
for I can see with my eyes and know with the eyes of my mind that all things are loved by God.
With all due respect, that is just a faith-based belief, and it can never be proven.....
however, the evidence for that does not look good. :(

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Another way of saying it is that God loves you more than you can ever love yourself.
How do you know that, because someone said that in a book?
I really want to believe that but I cannot believe it just because it is written in a book of scriptures.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I don’t think there’s ever been a satisfactory answer to the question, “why do bad things happen to good people?” So I don’t expect to learn the answer in this life.

Without darkness though, would we ever know the light? Or would we be blinded by it? Without death, would there be life? This world is built on drama, contrast, contradiction. Every joy is balanced by a sorrow, all energy is balanced by fatigue, heat is balanced by cold, new with old. It’s the exhausting exhilarating dance that troubles the world, forever moving the stars and the atoms from which we are made. It is what it is, but only a fool would say it has no purpose.
I agree with all of what you said because it is logical, so do you think that is a reason to love God?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Well now. Love is almost as difficult a word to define, as God. Both words have as many usages as users, seemingly. But I think they are synonymous. This appears to be the essence of many if not most faith traditions; that to know God is to know unselfish unconditional love, for ourselves, for others, and for all living things.
"to know God is to know unselfish unconditional love"

A human parent sacrifices for his children and thereby shows love. What does it cost God to love us? What is God sacrificing?
I think that people either believe the various scriptures that say that God loves everything He created or they don't believe them, but they don't make sense to me so I cannot believe them.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I see it is because God is naught but Love.
The most sublime and perfect Love we can imagine or can experience in this life, still does not show us the immensity of that Love.
The pain and suffering we face in this world is all part of Love, Faith allows us to embrace all the good and the bad, in the knowledge that only Love results.
I guess it is what many call enlightenment, where we transcend self to be immersed in that Love.
No easy feat, it is a battle we all face in this life, Regards Tony

I find the adverse pain and suffering of both Job and Jesus faced is part of Satan's challenge even for us - Job 2:4-5
Touch our ' flesh'.... ( loose physical health ) and we would Not serve God, Not love God.
Both faithful Job and Jesus under adverse conditions proved Satan to be a liar and so can we.
That love will be answered when Jesus comes ! - Rev. 22:20
Jesus will bring ' healing ' to earth's nations as per Revelation 22:2
Healing to the point that No one will say, 'I am sick...." - Isaiah 33:24.
Earth and its people will become healthy as described in Isaiah 35th chapter.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
For what it's worth, I think if God knew this would be the result, he would avoided the trial or even creating us all together. He wanted to test us who is best in works, but this is a disaster, of course, God knew it could happen but also knew it was improbable. The improbable, the almost impossible, has happened, humans and jinn hate their Lord, pass this generation to generation and will pay the price :(.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
) Because the scriptures of their religion tell them that God is good and they should love God
If the Scriptures didn't tell them that God is love and should be loved, how would they even know?

Because they see objective evidence in the world that indicates to them that God is good and worthy of being loved
And that's where this question comes in. In life what would give a person a reason to think that there is a loving God that should be worshipped and loved?

And especially for those that believe Satan is real. God creates a spirit being that harms and torments people? Only to one day destroy him? Plus, for those that believe the Adam and Eve story. God puts a tree in the middle of the garden, and a serpent to tempt them, then gets mad at them and curses them for disobeying him and eating the fruit? Is it love or a fear that God is going to cast them into hell?

So, at least Baha'is don't believe all those things literally. But still, too much pain and suffering and apparent randomness in life to think there is a God in control and has a plan for the overall good for his creation. I'm with you. If there is a God, then he should be feared, and I don't mean with a reverential awe, but like a tyrannical king that can kill you, imprison you and make your life a living hell, but loved?

Actually, maybe I do believe in a good and bad type of spiritual thing going on. And the love, light and good spirit stuff is awesome. The negative, evil, bad stuff? Yeah, to make life what it is, it is necessary. But I would hope the "good", "loving" spirit stuff didn't created the negative, evil side.