• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People?

Draupadi

Sometimes we suffer in the hands of people to whom we have done nothing wrong. Is it my fault that I am carrying an expensive purse that a hijacker steals from me? I am repeating for one last time, God has the capacity to stop all our miseries. How and why have been given in my previous posts. But still if you think that your faith is important to you that you will turn a blind eye to the reality, then it is up to you.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Sometimes we suffer in the hands of people to whom we have done nothing wrong. Is it my fault that I am carrying an expensive purse that a hijacker steals from me? I am repeating for one last time, God has the capacity to stop all our miseries. How and why have been given in my previous posts. But still if you think that your faith is important to you that you will turn a blind eye to the reality, then it is up to you.

Oh dont worry, im well aware of the reality of things.

Why do you think I promote Gods kingdom. I dont like this world any more then you do and i want very much to see God intervene and put an end to all the problems we have to endure.

But do you realise that God is doing something about it? Right now Gods kingdom is active...its very active. Its working to help people and bring them to an accurate knowledge of what the future holds. And when i say 'future' i mean 'very near future' and in your lifetime.

But we must remain patient and understand why God is holding back....

2Peter 3:9 Jehovah is not slow concerning his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with you because he does not desire anyone to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance. 10 But Jehovah’s day will come as a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar, but the elements being intensely hot will be dissolved, and earth and the works in it will be exposed.

The education work is the most important work being conducted in the earth at this time... it is giving mankind an opportunity to repent and millions are doing so.

Last edited:

kjw47

God who can hang trillions of tons planets onto nothing, and make living human beings out of Ashe,dust, and water---knows exactly who, what, where,when and why this must be as is for now---Those who love and respect him, knows its true. Justice is involved in all of Gods dealings.
Gog didn't want this---mortals chose this world for us because of satan influence. Gods kingdom( the way God wants things) is a cure all for all mortal woes.

kjw47

God didn't want this? Then He shouldn't have given us bad qualities in the first place to misuse.

Satan influence caused this system--- After he is thrown into the lake of fire--no more satan influences, ever. Gods kingdom is a cure all.

Big_TJ

Satan influence caused this system--- After he is thrown into the lake of fire--no more satan influences, ever. Gods kingdom is a cure all.

it always strikes me as odd how humans doesn't want to take responsibility. It is either "God did [or influenced] that good thing" or "Satan did [or influenced] that bad thing."

In this regards, I wonder why should we punish a murderer since he/she was influenced by Satan? Why not punish Satan himself?

And why should we give a badge of honor to a fireman who run into a burning building to save a child? Why not give the badge to God instead?

hmmm...

kjw47

it always strikes me as odd how humans doesn't want to take responsibility. It is either "God did [or influenced] that good thing" or "Satan did [or influenced] that bad thing."

In this regards, I wonder why should we punish a murderer since he/she was influenced by Satan? Why not punish Satan himself?

And why should we give a badge of honor to a fireman who run into a burning building to save a child? Why not give the badge to God instead?

hmmm...

Yes I know what you are saying, you are correct--those who do many things know it is wrong. They choose the path they walk--but there is still a lot of major satan influences ( table of demons-1Cor 10:21)prevalent in many things. Yet many believe they are on the right path when they are not. All is not as appears in this world--satan has blinded the minds of the unbelievers. This world is an illusion--99% caught in it.

Big_TJ

Yes I know what you are saying, you are correct--those who do many things know it is wrong.

This is a bold assertion but is a whole topic by itself.

Personally, I do not accept the concept of 'wrong' or 'right.' My belief is that MANY things are 'wrong' or 'right' depends on the context that it is placed in.

I do not think that there is any established way to universally determine if something is 'right' or 'wrong' or 'good' or 'bad.' What someone sees as 'right' can be seen as 'wrong' to someone else.

So, I wouldn't support your point that "those who do many things know it is wrong."

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student

Personally, I do not accept the concept of 'wrong' or 'right.' My belief is that MANY things are 'wrong' or 'right' depends on the context that it is placed in.

I do not think that there is any established way to universally determine if something is 'right' or 'wrong' or 'good' or 'bad.' What someone sees as 'right' can be seen as 'wrong' to someone else.

So, I wouldn't support your point that "those who do many things know it is wrong."

You make no allowance for the God-given faculty of conscience. We all have that still small voice that tells us when something is not right. If we ignore it, it loses its effect and becomes a partner in crime rather than a voice for good. The Bible compares an inactive conscience to flesh that has been seared with a branding iron. The seared flesh produces scar tissue that becomes insensitive.

Paul wrote......And he will render to each one according to his works: 7 everlasting life to those who are seeking glory and honor and incorruptibleness by endurance in work that is good; 8 however, for those who are contentious and who disobey the truth but obey unrighteousness there will be wrath and anger, 9 tribulation and distress, upon the soul of every man who works what is injurious, of the Jew first and also of the Greek; 10 but glory and honor and peace for everyone who works what is good, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. 11 For there is no partiality with God.
12 For instance, all those who sinned without law will also perish without law; but all those who sinned under law will be judged by law. 13 For the hearers of law are not the ones righteous before God, but the doers of law will be declared righteous. 14 For whenever people of the nations that do not have law do by nature the things of the law, these people, although not having law, are a law to themselves. 15 They are the very ones who demonstrate the matter of the law to be written in their hearts, while their conscience is bearing witness with them and, between their own thoughts, they are being accused or even excused." (Rom 2:6-15)

It is the dictates of our conscience that make all the difference. :yes:

Big_TJ

You make no allowance for the God-given faculty of conscience. We all have that still small voice that tells us when something is not right. If we ignore it, it loses its effect and becomes a partner in crime rather than a voice for good. The Bible compares an inactive conscience to flesh that has been seared with a branding iron. The seared flesh produces scar tissue that becomes insensitive.

[/COLOR][/B]It is the dictates of our conscience that make all the difference. :yes:[/COLOR]

This sounds exactly like the Buddhists teaching.

Again, on what basis do you make a bold assumption such as "We all have that still small voice that tells us when something is not right?"

I certainly do not have such a voice so I am 100% sure that your statement is incorrect.

kjw47

All your thinking above says--I--- it only matters what God says is right and wrong not what I says is---that is the worlds problem and one of the reasons only FEW find the road to life. One must disown themselves to be a true follower-Matt 16:24. there is no more--I.
Jesus taught man must live by every utterance from God--- there are many things pointed to as wrong by God in his word.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
Topic title: Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People?
---------------------------------------------------------

What sort of 'bad things' exactly?
(sorry if its been answered already somewhere in this thread but i just got here)
The way I see it is that the universe is a blind uncaring thing, and if we get hit by germs that are going around, or traffic accidents or anything else, it's largely just bad luck.
As a wise philosopher once said- "Life's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get"- Forrest Gump
Likewise another one said- "It's a dangerous business going out your door"- Bilbo Baggins

For examp, here's bits of comet Shoemaker-Levy smacking into Jupiter like machine gun bullets in 1994, confirming what I said about the universe being a blind uncaring thing-

Shoemaker-Levy-1994.jpg~original

Big_TJ

All your thinking above says--I--- it only matters what God says is right and wrong not what I says is---that is the worlds problem and one of the reasons only FEW find the road to life. One must disown themselves to be a true follower-Matt 16:24. there is no more--I.
Jesus taught man must live by every utterance from God--- there are many things pointed to as wrong by God in his word.

Haha! That's a good one; I haven't had a good laughter like this for days. Thanks a lot!:clap

Big_TJ

(sorry if its been answered already somewhere in this thread but i just got here)
The way I see it is that the universe is a blind uncaring thing, and if we get hit by germs that are going around, or traffic accidents or anything else, it's largely just bad luck.
As a wise philosopher once said- "Life's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get"- Forrest Gump
Likewise another one said- "It's a dangerous business going out your door"- Bilbo Baggins

For examp, here's bits of comet Shoemaker-Levy smacking into Jupiter like machine gun bullets in 1994, confirming what I said about the universe being a blind uncaring thing-

I think the more people can appreciate things like this, the closer they are in touch with reality.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
I think the more people can appreciate things like this, the closer they are in touch with reality.

You know the really funny thing about reality TJ? It isn't as "real" as you imagine. In a world ruled by the devil, reality is altered so that the truth is obscured in the minds of people who need excuses not to believe.

Those who accuse us of living in a fantasy world are themselves a victim of the great delusion...one from which God will not protect us. (2 Thess 2:9-12)

We are all proving to God who we are and where we stand on the issue of his sovereignty. There will be an accounting.....that is a certainty...whether you believe it or not is irrelevant.

You know the really funny thing about reality TJ? It isn't as "real" as you imagine. In a world ruled by the devil, reality is altered so that the truth is obscured in the minds of people who need excuses not to believe.

Those who accuse us of living in a fantasy world are themselves a victim of the great delusion...one from which God will not protect us. (2 Thess 2:9-12)

We are all proving to God who we are and where we stand on the issue of his sovereignty. There will be an accounting.....that is a certainty...whether you believe it or not is irrelevant.
Well said....

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student

Shoemaker-Levy-1994.jpg~original

Do you see bits of comets smacking into Earth and taking millions of lives on a regular basis? Or do you see mankind messing with the earth to produce many of the disasters we see? Who is raping the earth for profit and uncaring about the consequences? Who is responsible for the major losses of life on this planet...is it not we ourselves? Man is polluting the daylights out of this earth, making war and developing weapons of mass destruction, dumping our poison into the air and the oceans.....we humans who were appointed as caretakers have failed miserably in our assignment. There will be an accounting. (Rev 11:18) Are we part of the problem or are we supporting God's solution?

Big_TJ

You seems to have a Doctorate in Speculation-ology :D .... and you keep making bold claims; I am not sure if I should be taking you seriously.

What is your source for this claim "There will be an accounting.....that is a certainty.." Isn't this just your belief based in your acceptance of the bible?

Big_TJ

Do you see bits of comets smacking into Earth and taking millions of lives on a regular basis? Or do you see mankind messing with the earth to produce many of the disasters we see? Who is raping the earth for profit and uncaring about the consequences? Who is responsible for the major losses of life on this planet...is it not we ourselves? Man is polluting the daylights out of this earth, making war and developing weapons of mass destruction, dumping our poison into the air and the oceans.....we humans who were appointed as caretakers have failed miserably in our assignment. There will be an accounting. (Rev 11:18) Are we part of the problem or are we supporting God's solution?

Actually there is.. And actually, there are countless natural disasters like those: Floods, earthquakes, hurricanes etc. What about diseases such as the recent Ebola breakout; that's nature, not man.

I am prepared to wager that, in the history of mankind, the two major things that kills millions regularly are natural disasters and wars; many of which are fought for religious reasons. So, yes, religion and natural disasters are the biggest threats to the universe. :yes:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Actually there is.. And actually, there are countless natural disasters like those: Floods, earthquakes, hurricanes etc. What about diseases such as the recent Ebola breakout; that's nature, not man.

I am prepared to wager that, in the history of mankind, the two major things that kills millions regularly are natural disasters and wars; many of which are fought for religious reasons. So, yes, religion and natural disasters are the biggest threats to the universe. :yes:

Man choosing independence from Gods rulership has certainly been a disaster because we do not have control over natural forces or microbes which cause disease.... so all these disasters we experience are out of our control. It is certainly ironic that we still opt for independence from God when we know we can't control all things.

But just think, God CAN control all things. I certainly want to see him back in action and looking after the natural forces again. But that wont happen until his rulership is established over 'all' mankind. And that time is very very close. :yes: