• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People?

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
Topic title: Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People?
--------------------------------------------------------

Bad things happen to everybody, but Christians know how to roll with the punches life throws at us because they know our existence on this material earth is not to be taken seriously-
"What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (Bible: James 4:14)

For examp, 12 years ago I was just out of jail (3 month vigilante rap), jobless, homeless, girlfriendless and near penniless, living in a tent in the woods shivering with thyroid problems, but not for an instant was I downhearted because I was too busy laughing at myself-
"Oh great" I thought, "I've ended up as Bigfoot"..:)

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want"- (Philp 4:12)

Last edited:

Big_TJ

But just think, God CAN control all things. I certainly want to see him back in action and looking after the natural forces again. But that wont happen until his rulership is established over 'all' mankind. And that time is very very close. :yes:

So, who can cause the "rulership" to be established? And if Jehovah can, what is he really waiting on? Have you ever thought about this ... really really though about it?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
So, who can cause the "rulership" to be established? And if Jehovah can, what is he really waiting on? Have you ever thought about this ... really really though about it?

The kingdom has been established and has been gathering subjects for the past 100 years. The kingdom has embarked on a worldwide education program just as Jesus said it would during the turbulent last days:

Matt 24:14 And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

When Jehovah is satasfied that the preaching work has been accomplished, 'then the end will come'

Big_TJ

The kingdom has been established and has been gathering subjects for the past 100 years. The kingdom has embarked on a worldwide education program just as Jesus said it would during the turbulent last days:

Matt 24:14 And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

When Jehovah is satasfied that the preaching work has been accomplished, 'then the end will come'

You said "The kingdom has embarked on a worldwide education program"; does "the kingdom" means the Jehovah's Witnesses congregation? Also, since hundreds of persons are born everyday around the world, is it really feasible to expect that this educational program will ever be achieved?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
You said "The kingdom has embarked on a worldwide education program"; does "the kingdom" means the Jehovah's Witnesses congregation? Also, since hundreds of persons are born everyday around the world, is it really feasible to expect that this educational program will ever be achieved?

The kingdom refers to 'heavenly Jerusalem' which is administering all activity from the heavens. Jesus and his co-rulers oversee the christian congregation from the heavenly vantage point.

There is no Kingdom on earth, the Watchtower Organisation is not a heavenly kingdom... it is an administration by which the heavenly kingdom instructs christians, but it itself is not the kingdom.
And yes, I believe the heavenly kingdom is instructing mankind through the Watchtower organisation.
With regard to the extent of the educational program currently underway, no, we dont expect every single individual on earth will hear the message of the good news. Jesus himself said that his followers would not reach every individual and perhaps not even every city or town or village:

Matthew 10:23 When they persecute you in one city, flee to another; for truly I say to you, you will by no means complete the circuit of the cities of Israel until the Son of man arrives.

So we will do as much as we possibly can in the short time we have left to do it. Those who do not hear the message of the good news will not be judged by the standards of that message....they will be judged by their own conscience and their adherence to what they know to be right and wrong ie, Romans 2:14 For when people of the nations, who do not have law (Gods law), do by nature the things of the law, these people, although not having law, are a law to themselves. 15 They are the very ones who demonstrate the matter of the law to be written in their hearts, while their conscience is bearing witness with them, and by their own thoughts they are being accused or even excused. 16 This will take place in the day when God through Christ Jesus judges the secret things of mankind, according to the good news I declare.

So any who do not have the opportunity to hear and respond to the message of the Good news will be judged by how well they listen & respond to their God given consciences....and the good thing to know is that it is God himself who judges them, so no mistakes will be made in the outcome.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
..And yes, I believe the heavenly kingdom is instructing mankind through the Watchtower organisation..

But the JW's have banned Christmas, Easter, birthdays, crosses and lifesaving blood transfusions, so call me suspicious but I don't think it's God who's instructing them..;)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
But the JW's have banned Christmas, Easter, birthdays, crosses and lifesaving blood transfusions, so call me suspicious but I don't think it's God who's instructing them..;)

Do you know anything about those celebrations, what is their origin and who started them? Maybe find some information about them and ask yourself if Jesus celebrated them... because christians are asked to follow Jesus example.

And with regard to blood, we obey Gods law on the matter. Jesus said we should obey Gods law and there is a law on blood that Christians were instructed to obey... 'do not eat it' ... taking it into our body is like eating it or consuming it.

If we follow Gods laws and obey them, then i believe that is what it means to submit to God. You may think differently, but I think submitting means to obey.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student

I hope you have taken Pegg's advice.....

A Google search will inform you of the origins of Christmas, Easter and birthdays.....not one of them are mentioned in the Bible as being celebrated by Christians. People assume that they are because that is what they have been taught.

There is no "Christmas" celebration mentioned among the first Christians because Jesus did not celebrate birthdays and neither did the Jews as a nation. Only pagans celebrated birthdays and as its customs were tied up with spititism, (which was also forbidden to God's people Deut 18:9-12) the ancient Jews shunned such celebrations.

Christmas was introduced by the paganized Roman church as a way to keep the pagan "converts" happy. In order to convert to "Christianity" they got to keep their cherished festivals, under another name.

You will not find "Easter" mentioned in the Bible either. In adopting this pagan celebration, Christendom did not even remove the name of the pagan fertility goddess in whose honor it was held. The rabbits and eggs of her celebration are still very much in evidence to this day.

Grafting "Christian" labels over pagan festivals and beliefs did not "Christianize" them...it paganized Christianity, just as Jesus and his apostles foretold. (Acts 20:29, 30, 1 Tim 4:1-3). :(

The cross as a religious symbol pre-dates Christianity by millennia. It was always associated with disgusting worship conducted by those who did not worship Jehovah. You have seen the ankh cross in Egyptian artefacts....associated with sex and fertility. The instrument used to put Jesus to death was a "stauros", which never means two beams crossed at any angle. It is a single upright pole.

According to Greek scholar W. E. Vine, stauros′ “denotes, primarily, an upright pale or stake. On such malefactors were nailed for execution. Both the noun and the verb stauroō, to fasten to a stake or pale, are originally to be distinguished from the ecclesiastical form of a two beamed cross.”

And as for the "life saving" aspects of blood transfusions, I think you need to Google "the dangers of blood transfusions" and "bloodless surgery".

Jehovah's Witnesses have proven that the myth of blood transfusions "saving lives" is just that....a myth. There are other alternative measures that do not involve breaking God's laws. Now that the medical profession acknowledges that blood is not such good medicine, whole hospitals dedicated to the non use of blood have been set up all around the world.

The real benefit of blood transfusion is mostly financial. It is a multi-billion dollar industry which those who make a nice living off it will fight to continue, no matter how dangerous it is proven to be to the health of recipients. The Biblical laws on blood was defined in absolute terms. (Lev 17:10) Anyone consuming any sort of blood was to be put to death. The injunction on blood was repeated as a "necessary thing" for Christians. (Acts 15:28, 29)

In a world ruled by the devil....nothing is as it 'appears'. (1John 5:19) There is so much deception that nothing that is promoted as beneficial actually is.....and the things that the Bible promotes is viewed as restrictive, outdated and old fashioned. :facepalm:

How much actual happiness comes from the "things" that the world says you must have? A fleeting moment of exhilaration on acquiring something desired is replaced by the need to get the next "must have" item.....chasing happiness that can never be sustained.

Don't fall for the propaganda! The devil has most of humanity in a state of despair.....those who "have" are not genuinely happy and those who "do not have" are equally miserable because they are convinced that "having" these things automatically make us happy.....its a lie!!!! "The best things in life aren't THINGS" !!!

The only thing that brings real happiness is to be pleasing to God as a disciple of his son, living a simple life, free from "the love of money" and it's never ending pursuit of fleeting happiness (1 Tim 6:10)....Christians who haven't fallen for the lie know that making God happy, makes them happy. :)