• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do Atheists Preach??

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Actually... it would make perfect sense if he had any awareness of the dangers of theism.

I will go so far as to say that if Abraham was even roughly correct in his conception of deity then it must follow that God does indeed put a lot of effort into convincing people that It does not exist.

And I can hardly fault It for doing so. It would, after all, be aware of Theism and its consequences in the real world.

Iakes sense to be an atheist because it comes naturally and has no serious challenge from anything in the real world.

Not for everyone. But for plenty of people.

It helps that it has no downside to speak of, of course...

Well, in that case, if there is indeed a Creator, he may be inspired to help convert people to atheism.

ecco

Veteran Member
It would depend on what you consider many to be - 100, 200,... 600 etc. so I guess it depend on perspective.

For example, if 300 leaves fell in my yard, and I took a rake and swept them, and collected them in bags, I might say, that's not many.
If I was asked to collect them one by one, that's a different story.

Yet those 300 leaves is a very small percentage of the leaves on the tree itself, but they are still many.
For the 300 evolution disbelievers...
What is their view regarding the existence of humans on earth?
Do they all believe that God created everything 6000 years ago?
On what do they base their beliefs?

Audie

Veteran Member
Ah the people who love to assume only one religion can be right. That's always fun. The only religions that say no other religion can be right are the ones who say that there is an absolute truth and they have it. The Romans married Mercury off to Rosmerta when they found a new religion. They didn't say everything the Gauls believed was false. In areas of Scotland, especially in the Isles, the Norse invaders went, "Hey that girl over there is strong and attractive. I will marry her. Oh she worships that god? Cool." Shinto didn't throw fits. Vodun, even forced to be syncretic by Christians, never condemned Christianity. Buddhism has some people who feel other faiths are bad, but mostly they don't care what other faiths you have.

That is so, for all that you are overselling the well
known.

My comments were the op, who seems to be of
the one true sky god sort.

For other superstitious folk elsewhere, divers gods
and spirits, vstying degrees of tolerance and flexibility,
as you noted.

Couldda saved you your fun if I'd phrased it a bit
differently.

Audie

Veteran Member
This is a good example of grasping at straws, you know.

Statistically, given how many scientists there are and this reading for the word "many" that you propose, you could attempt to put a veneer of legitimacy to literal thousands of other fringe and worse claims.

That does not make them any more reasonable.

I know a dentist who is a scientologist!
Glen Beck says to buy gold.

Endorsements are fine, but facts are
better.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Quoting verses from an old book is not the way to support your assertions about atheists, unless you are simply speaking to others who already give any weight to the verses.

Atheism is not monolithic. There are atheist who simply reject the god claims presented thus far as unsubstantiated. They are not uncertain in their rejection of the claims.

There are other atheists who will state that they do,not believe any gods exist. Perhaps some of them are uncertain to varying degrees, but others are not uncertain. However, it is the degree of uncertainty that matters.
I am not 100% certain of anything, save maybe a few logical absolutes, etc., but that does not mean I need to believe unsubstantiated claims.

Having investigated alternative logics, I'm not 100% certain of 'logical absolutes'.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
For the 300 evolution disbelievers...
What is their view regarding the existence of humans on earth?
Do they all believe that God created everything 6000 years ago?
On what do they base their beliefs?
The bigger question is why is evolution being discussed in a thread about atheism?

ecco

Veteran Member
People are religious because their parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, siblings and peers are religious.
People are religious because they are indoctrinated from birth into beliefs in a god.
People are religious because all their lives they are exposed to the "factuality" of GOD.

These a few of the more basic reasons, it's considerably more complex than that though. We could consider teh psychology and neuroscience behind it, the cultural dimensions, etc.
If you want to discuss "the psychology and neuroscience behind it", then discuss it. Just posting a couple of big words does nothing to further your argument.

Insofar as "the cultural dimensions", childhood indoctrination and peer pressure are a core part of cultural dimensions

None of the above required speculation or subjectivity. None of the above is based on value judgments or ideological preferences.

Given it would affect the worldviews and cultures of most of the world's people and would be replaced with things as yet unknown, there are few things more speculative or laden with value judgements than the idea we would be better off without religion.
I'll state we would be better off without religion.
Yes it would affect the worldviews and cultures of most of the world's people if it were removed. But I didn't suggest it could or should be removed, did I?

However, that does not alter my comment that we would be better off without religion. The world's population is currently about seven billion. We could not feed, cloth and house seven billion people without the advances made in science. Life expectancy is greater than ever in the history of mankind. This is also due to scientific advances. Plague outbreaks now get stopped before they kill significant portions of human populations because of advances in science.
Science has always been held back by religion. During times and places of extreme religious fundamentalism, science suffers the most. During times of comparative religious "enlightenment", science flourishes.

If there had never been religions and beliefs in gods, science would be much further advanced today.

If you want to discuss "the psychology and neuroscience behind it", then discuss it. Just posting a couple of big words does nothing to further your argument.

The argument was that your reasons people believe in gods was incredibly superficial.

Gods/religions are ubiquitous in human societies and they didn't always result from indoctrination as they all started somewhere.

The cognitive science of religion is a topic that some atheists talk about, the details of it are irrelevant to this discussion.

Yes it would affect the worldviews and cultures of most of the world's people if it were removed. But I didn't suggest it could or should be removed, did I?

However, that does not alter my comment that we would be better off without religion. The world's population is currently about seven billion. We could not feed, cloth and house seven billion people without the advances made in science. Life expectancy is greater than ever in the history of mankind. This is also due to scientific advances. Plague outbreaks now get stopped before they kill significant portions of human populations because of advances in science.
Science has always been held back by religion. During times and places of extreme religious fundamentalism, science suffers the most. During times of comparative religious "enlightenment", science flourishes.

Historically illiterate "conflict thesis" mythology.

Some scholarly views:

A widespread myth that refuses to die...maintains that consistent opposition of the Christian church to rational thought in general and the natural sciences in particular, throughout the patristic and medieval periods, retarded the development of a viable scientific tradition, thereby delaying the Scientific Revolution and the origins of modern science by more than a millennium.

Historical scholarship of the past half-century demonstrates that the truth is otherwise.

David C Lindberg in the Cambridge companion to science and religion

No institution or cultural force of the patristic period offered more encouragement for the investigation of nature than did the
Christian church. Contemporary pagan culture was no more favorable to disinterested speculation about the cosmos than was Christian culture. It follows that the presence of the Christian church enhanced, rather than damaged, the development of the natural sciences.

Michael H. Shank Ch2 in Galileo goes to jail and other myths about science and religion - Harvard University Press

Historians have observed that Christian churches were for a crucial millennium leading patrons of natural philosophy and science, in that they supported theorizing, experimentation, observation, exploration, documentation, and publication. Noah J Efron

No account of Catholic involvement with science could be complete without mention of the Jesuits (officially called the Society of Jesus). Formally established in 1540, the society placed such special emphasis on education that by 1625 they had founded nearly 450 colleges in Europe and elsewhere... It is clear from the historical record that the Catholic church has been probably the largest single and longest- term patron of science in history, that many contributors to the Scientific Revolution were themselves Catholic, and that several Catholic institutions and perspectives were key influences upon the rise of modern science. Margaret J Osler

Although they disagree about nuances, today almost all historians agree that Christianity (Catholicism as well as Protestantism) move many early-modern intellectuals to study nature systematically.4 Historians have also found that notions borrowed from Christian belief found their ways into scientific discourse, with glorious re- sults; the very notion that nature is lawful, some scholars argue, was borrowed from Christian theology.5 Christian convictions also affected how nature was studied. For example, in the six- teenth and seventeenth centuries, Augustine’s notion of original sin (which held that Adam’s Fall left humans implacably dam- aged) was embraced by advocates of “experimental natural phi- losophy.” As they saw it, fallen humans lacked the grace to understand the workings of the world through cogitation alone, requiring in their disgraced state painstaking experiment and ob- servation to arrive at knowledge of how nature works (though our knowledge even then could never be certain). In this way, Christian doctrine lent urgency to experiment.6

Historians have also found that changing Christian approaches to interpreting the Bible affected the way nature was studied in crucial ways. For example, Reformation leaders disparaged allegorical readings of Scripture, counseling their congregations to read Holy Writ literally. This approach to the Bible led some scholars to change the way they studied nature, no longer seeking the allegorical meaning of plants and animals and instead seeking what they took to be a more straightforward description of the material world.7 Also, many of those today considered “fore- fathers” of modern science found in Christianity legitimation of their pursuits. René Descartes (1596–1650) boasted of his physics that “my new philosophy is in much better agreement with all the truths of faith than that of Aristotle.”8 Isaac Newton (1642–1727) believed that his system restored the original divine wisdom God had provided to Moses and had no doubt that his Christianity bolstered his physics—and that his physics bolstered his Christi- anity.9 Finally, historians have observed that Christian churches were for a crucial millennium leading patrons of natural philosophy and science, in that they supported theorizing, experimentation, observation, exploration, documentation, and publication. (Noah J Efron - Ch9 in Galileo goes to jail and other myths about science and religion - Harvard University Press)

Again, that you think your opinion is objective fact, despite the vast majority of academic historians of science disagreeing with it, is the mark of an ideologue.

If there had never been religions and beliefs in gods, science would be much further advanced today.

Pure speculation, and very dubious as religions were important for cohesion helping larger societies forming beyond genetic and narrow tribal interests, and also given the above views of academic historians (not apologists).

ecco

Veteran Member
People are religious because their parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, siblings and peers are religious.
People are religious because they are indoctrinated from birth into beliefs in a god.
People are religious because all their lives they are exposed to the "factuality" of GOD.
The argument was that your reasons people believe in gods was incredibly superficial.

Gods/religions are ubiquitous in human societies and they didn't always result from indoctrination as they all started somewhere.
Gods/religions started when man began questioning. Instead of honestly stating "I don't know" Tribal Leaders answered with variations of "The Magic Man in the Sky". The concept of The Magic Man in the Sky was passed on from generation to generation - AKA religious indoctrination - AKA peer pressure.

Religion started when the Tribal Leader appointed a "Spiritual Leader" to continue and expand upon the myths. Why have all the game animals gone away? We have angered The Magic Man in the Sky. How do we find the animals again? We must give something to The Magic Man in the Sky - let's sacrifice a virgin.

Since you think my concepts are "incredibly superficial" tell us...
Where do you think gods and religions came from?
Why do you think most people follow the religion of their parents?

Audie

Veteran Member
How true! But I'm still waiting for your facts and your argments to explain your beliefs.

I dont just say things, I am not a religionist into
making up or "interpreting" as it suits me. I can
always back what I say.

Your request tho, if that is even what it is,
is awfilly broad and vague.

ecco

Veteran Member
Historically illiterate "conflict thesis" mythology.
Some scholarly views:
A widespread myth that refuses to die...maintains that consistent opposition of the Christian church to rational thought in general and the natural sciences in particular, throughout the patristic and medieval periods, retarded the development of a viable scientific tradition, thereby delaying the Scientific Revolution and the origins of modern science by more than a millennium.

Historical scholarship of the past half-century demonstrates that the truth is otherwise.

David C Lindberg in the Cambridge companion to science and religion

<snip extensive cut and paste comments>

Again, that you think your opinion is objective fact, despite the vast majority of academic historians of science disagreeing with it, is the mark of an ideologue.
From your long cut and paste I took the time to look at one of the works of Lindberg: When Science and Christianity Meet.
Amazon permits reading selections from the book. It didn't take long to realize that Lindberg is far from the objective historian you would make him out to be.

On the cover of the book is a sculpture of an angel. The book is a series of essays playing down the negative impact of religion on science. One of the selections in the book is about reconciling the Genesis Flood with science.

Are the rest of your "vast majority of academic historians of science" cut from a similar cloth?

Nevertheless, I did previously state:
During times and places of extreme religious fundamentalism, science suffers the most. During times of comparative religious "enlightenment", science flourishes.
This is true of Christianity and Islam as well.

From your long cut and paste

You make it seem like reading scholarly sources and identifying relevant quotes from them is a bad thing :D

I took the time to look at one of the works of Lindberg: When Science and Christianity Meet.
Amazon permits reading selections from the book. It didn't take long to realize that Lindberg is far from the objective historian you would make him out to be.

The problem with this topic is that "common knowledge" is that religion has always held back science and "everybody knows this". As such when someone tries to counter this narrative it is assumed they are a religious apologist who can be dismissed out of hand.

The history of science though is one subject area where "common knowledge" is massively out of step with what scholarship says on the matter. The conflict thesis, which you are advocating, is not something that has any real support among experts these days, despite remaining common in popular culture.

Re Lindberg, this is his bio:

Lindberg was the Hilldale Professor Emeritus of History of Science and past director of the Institute for Research in the Humanities, at the University of Wisconsin–Madison. He held a degree in physics from Northwestern University and a Ph.D. in history and philosophy of science from Indiana University. Lindberg was the author or editor of more than a dozen books, received grants and awards from organizations that included the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation, the National Science Foundation, the National Endowment for the Humanities, the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton University, the History of Science Society, the Medieval Academy of America, and the University of Wisconsin–Madison. With Ronald Numbers, he co-edited two anthologies on the relationship between religion and science. Also with Numbers, Lindberg was general editor of the eight-volume Cambridge History of Science and with Michael Shank editor of its volume on medieval ccience. He served as president of the History of Science Society and was awarded its highest prize for lifetime scholarly achievement: the Sarton medal.[1]

On the cover of the book is a sculpture of an angel. The book is a series of essays playing down the negative impact of religion on science.

If you value reason and evidence, cover art is not a very good reason to reject scholarship.

While I've no idea what Lindberg's personal religious views were, his co-editor Ronald Numbers is an agnostic and the featured scholars are from diverse religious and non-religious backgrounds.

One of the selections in the book is about reconciling the Genesis Flood with science.

That chapter, written by a professor of the history of science at Harvard and former editor of the British Journal of the History of Science, discusses how the biblical flood narrative influenced scientist who believed in it.

It is not about "reconciling the Genesis Flood with science" apologetics, but about how specific individuals reconciled their belief in the flood with their scientific beliefs and practices, and how it influenced their attitudes to the fossil record, age of the earth, etc.

It is about what people in the past believed and how this influenced the historical evolution of the sciences.

Are the rest of your "vast majority of academic historians of science" cut from a similar cloth?

As you can see from above, you misrepresented him.

All authors cited are respected historians of science from diverse backgrounds, rather than being religious apologists, and the sources are scholarly texts published by legitimate academic publishers (Cambridge University Press, Harvard University Press).

If you value scholarship, and ration, evidence based discourse (which I assume you do), how do you reconcile you support for the conflict thesis with its rejection by the vast majority of academic historians of science? Are they all biased or mistaken?

During times and places of extreme religious fundamentalism, science suffers the most. During times of comparative religious "enlightenment", science flourishes.

The thing is this isn't really true either. It's more an assumption that the obviously anti-scientific forms of modern fundamentalism have historical analogues with similar effects.

Due to the Reformation, the Renaissance saw far more religious intolerance than the medieval period, yet is generally associated with scientific advancement.

Also, the Islamic Golden Age overlapped with the more austere forms of Islam becoming orthodoxy in the 9th-10th C

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
From your long cut and paste I took the time to look at one of the works of Lindberg: When Science and Christianity Meet.

On the cover of the book is a sculpture of an angel. The book is a series of essays playing down the negative impact of religion on science. One of the selections in the book is about reconciling the Genesis Flood with science.

One difficulty is even defining what the word 'science' is prior to 1600AD. The scientific method, per se, was a fairly late development, but attempts to rationally investigate the universe are ancient. If we accept Aristotle's thoughts as early science, and Ptolemy's as elaboration on them, then some aspect of science existed in Greco-Roman times, but without adherence to the scientific method.

Taken from this perspective, the Christian church in the Middle Ages has a complicated relationship to science. There was a HUGE translation movement, often done by monks, of Arabic material into Latin that included much of the thoughts from the Greco-Roman time period. The issues brought up by Aristotle were hotly debated, with quite deep questions posed about things like inertia, the vacuum, the nature of motion, how to deal with things mathematically, etc. These investigations were *primarily* done by monks and clerics with approval of the overall Church structure.

On the other hand, the condemnations of 1277 dictated that certain specific conclusions of Aristotle were heretical. The interesting thing, though, is that there was not a blanket condemnation, so debate continued and even flourished after that. The effect was to inspire more questioning of Aristotelianism. The idea that there was 'one truth' and that the ancients had an aspect of it was common and promoted a lot of debate and curiosity.

This is true of Christianity and Islam as well.

You might be surprised if you actually correlate the time periods of fundamentalism and those of scientific growth. England during the time of Newton was hardly lacking in extreme fundamentalism. the times of Copernicus to Galileo and Kepler were rife with it, and the Protestant areas, where 'scientific thinking' was more common were also more likely to be religiously intolerant. The witch hunts were primarily a Protestant thing.

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
There are no “alternative logics”. Something is logical or it is not.

Simply not true. There are, for example, three-valued logics, logics that reject the law of excluded middle, intuitionist logics, etc.

And there have even been good reasons to study such alternatives. quantum logic has been applied to, you guessed it, quantum mechanics. The law of excluded middle has been challenged when dealing with infinities, with constructivist logics replacing it.

There is more out there on this than you might think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-classical_logic

Milton Platt

Simply not true. There are, for example, three-valued logics, logics that reject the law of excluded middle, intuitionist logics, etc.

And there have even been good reasons to study such alternatives. quantum logic has been applied to, you guessed it, quantum mechanics. The law of excluded middle has been challenged when dealing with infinities, with constructivist logics replacing it.

There is more out there on this than you might think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-classical_logic

Yes, that is correct. I was not being clear about what I was trying to say. In each of those types of logic, something is either logical or it is not.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, that is correct. I was not being clear about what I was trying to say. In each of those types of logic, something is either logical or it is not.

yes. But there are *alternative systems* of logic other than standard Boolean logic and propositional logic.

And, the existence of such means that I am not 100% convinced that 'absolute logic' exists. As I stated.