• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do Atheists Preach??

Mohsen

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
I was musing this question a few weeks ago. Dawkins, Krauss, etc, they literally preach atheism under the guise of science. Not only is this "scientism" (yes it's a valid term, check if you don't believe me) but preaching atheism is also not a very "atheist" thing to do. Let me explain, if I may.

An atheist simply lacks belief in a deity or deities - including but not limited to - his own lack of belief. In short, an atheists position is one of uncertainty. So why then, do they preach? I believe it is because they are not essentially atheist, but rather, misotheist. Misotheism is an hatred of God(s) and a love of, and for, anything Godless.

I postulate, that it is not atheists who preach, but misotheists who claim to be atheist!

Further, just now I wrote above that an atheist simply holds a position of "uncertainty". Unlike the Agnostic, who hasn't resigned from searching for answers, the atheist has resigned his or herself from learning other ways to substantiate their belief, or lack thereof in God(s). I recently found a verse in the Qur'an in chapter 52 verse number 35 and 36:

35: Or were they created by nothing, or were they the creators [of themselves]?
36: Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Rather, they are not certain.

I found this to be of damning relevance. The unique and marvelous rhetoric in these two verses is simply, masterful. Verse 35 poses two questions, each referring to the creation of the human being.

Or were they created by nothing? Nothing being the absence of everything, including the metaphysical. So there is no idea mind! Even a child can tell us, "from nothing, nothing comes" (yes I know, I'm also quoting a certain philosopher) so the answer to this first question, is a loud resounding NO. From Nothing, Nothing Comes!

or were they the creators [of themselves]? Paradox, it's kike saying "a mother gave birth to her self" - so again, the answer is NO.

Next, the following verse takes the attention away from the human and towards the universe itself.

Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Any of us would concede here the answer is again NO. But it's an humbling turn of rhetoric. How mankind has deluded himself into thinking he is all important, the genesis of wisdom, the accumulated total of knowledge - when in reality, man only has a pixellated insight - blindsided by hubris.

The final part of this verse is what really tickles my brain though: Rather, they are not certain! God revealed this over 14 centuries ago! The atheist hinges his whole belief on the principles of uncertainty. But at least he's honest with that. The misotheist (Dawkins, Krauss et al) just hates God(s) and pushes his/her world view onto everyone else, without realizing they have turned into what they themselves mock - preachers!

This video just came out, I've finished watching it now and it's a real gem!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
including but not limited to - his own lack of belief. In short, an atheists position is one of uncertainty

Atheist : a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

1 Are you saying that all atheists are gods?
2 Or is it just another religious expression of misunderstanding?
3 Or just a deliberate taunt?

P.S. 2 and 3 are often closely related.

P.P.S. Long preachy post for one who seems to have a dislike of preaching. Or perhaps just a selective dislike

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think the most likely reason that some atheists -- a relative few, most likely -- proselytize is because they believe religions do more bad than good, and they wish to do something about that by converting as many people to atheism as possible.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
At its worst atheism is a stance, its nothing exotic or amazing and just a position one takes for fantastic claims and people do it in their every day lives.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I was musing this question a few weeks ago. Dawkins, Krauss, etc, they literally preach atheism under the guise of science. Not only is this "scientism" (yes it's a valid term, check if you don't believe me) but preaching atheism is also not a very "atheist" thing to do. Let me explain, if I may.

An atheist simply lacks belief in a deity or deities - including but not limited to - his own lack of belief. In short, an atheists position is one of uncertainty. So why then, do they preach? I believe it is because they are not essentially atheist, but rather, misotheist. Misotheism is an hatred of God(s) and a love of, and for, anything Godless.

I postulate, that it is not atheists who preach, but misotheists who claim to be atheist!

Further, just now I wrote above that an atheist simply holds a position of "uncertainty". Unlike the Agnostic, who hasn't resigned from searching for answers, the atheist has resigned his or herself from learning other ways to substantiate their belief, or lack thereof in God(s). I recently found a verse in the Qur'an in chapter 52 verse number 35 and 36:

35: Or were they created by nothing, or were they the creators [of themselves]?
36: Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Rather, they are not certain.

I found this to be of damning relevance. The unique and marvelous rhetoric in these two verses is simply, masterful. Verse 35 poses two questions, each referring to the creation of the human being.

Or were they created by nothing? Nothing being the absence of everything, including the metaphysical. So there is no idea mind! Even a child can tell us, "from nothing, nothing comes" (yes I know, I'm also quoting a certain philosopher) so the answer to this first question, is a loud resounding NO. From Nothing, Nothing Comes!

or were they the creators [of themselves]? Paradox, it's kike saying "a mother gave birth to her self" - so again, the answer is NO.

Next, the following verse takes the attention away from the human and towards the universe itself.

Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Any of us would concede here the answer is again NO. But it's an humbling turn of rhetoric. How mankind has deluded himself into thinking he is all important, the genesis of wisdom, the accumulated total of knowledge - when in reality, man only has a pixellated insight - blindsided by hubris.

The final part of this verse is what really tickles my brain though: Rather, they are not certain! God revealed this over 14 centuries ago! The atheist hinges his whole belief on the principles of uncertainty. But at least he's honest with that. The misotheist (Dawkins, Krauss et al) just hates God(s) and pushes his/her world view onto everyone else, without realizing they have turned into what they themselves mock - preachers!

This video just came out, I've finished watching it now and it's a real gem!

Good question. They not only preach. They also are self appointed teachers of science, the scientific method, evolution theory... etc. :eek:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Lol wut? Dawkins preaches against stupidity. I mean he's a little "harsh" when it comes to religion. Hitchens was closer to preaching Athiesm if you like. But even then, much like Dawkins, it was in response to creationists. And if I had to deal with the aggravating morons I have often seen "debate" them then I'm sure I'd go the same route eventually. I doubt even Buddhist monks have enough patience for some of the infuriating anti science, anti intellectualism idiocy I have seen these so called "preachers of athiesm" encounter on a regular basis.
Also pretty sure when a scientist says "nothing" in reference to space or something they don't mean in the literal sense of a black void of actual nothingness.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Good question. They not only preach. They also are self appointed teachers of science, the scientific method, evolution theory... etc. :eek:

As opposed to religious who are self appointed proselytizers of mythology and magic.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't care if people believe in gods. Belief doesn't impact me. And since I don't personally have any god beliefs, I don't believe their gods impact me either. What does impact me is religious based governance. I am strongly against theological government and religious-based laws against LGBT, the sciences, women, access to healthcare including abortion, contraceptives, mental healthcare, etc. Outside Christianity and Islam, very few religions actively seek to run government, or even actively seek to convert people. So, of course, I have less concerns to vocalize about them.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I was musing this question a few weeks ago. Dawkins, Krauss, etc, they literally preach atheism under the guise of science.

Sorry, but you are very mistaken about that.

Not only is this "scientism" (yes it's a valid term, check if you don't believe me) but preaching atheism is also not a very "atheist" thing to do. Let me explain, if I may.

An atheist simply lacks belief in a deity or deities - including but not limited to - his own lack of belief. In short, an atheists position is one of uncertainty.

No, that is a specific form of agnosticism. Atheism has no such constraints.

So why then, do they preach? I believe it is because they are not essentially atheist, but rather, misotheist. Misotheism is an hatred of God(s) and a love of, and for, anything Godless.

There probably are such people, but I must assume that they are few and far between.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
As for the OP, I think it is simply failing to notice how necessary it is to confront and challenge the excesses and dangers of inconsequential theism.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I would agree that there are some atheists who are, what I call "evangelical atheists". By that, I mean they are not content to be atheists themselves, but rather go out of their way to make sure everyone else is atheist. However, I would also note that most atheists I know are not like that. Also, many atheists promote rationality and critical thinking, which are not "preaching" or attempts to convert anyone to atheism. They just see increased rationality and critical thinking as beneficial to humankind (as do I).

Finally, in some religious circles merely advocating for science is seen as "preaching atheism". But I find that a little odd, as behind that argument is an assumption that science=atheism, which essentially cedes the sciences to atheism.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Or perhaps they are atheists who see beliefs like yours and conclude, for legitimate reasons, that religion may well be doing more harm than good to the world and consequently decide to try to counteract its influence by speaking out against religious dogma.

Dawkins, Krauss, and other "atheist preachers" say things about religion that are, at their worst, often far less distasteful than something like "all non-believers will be tortured in Hell forever," unlike what many imams and priests preach.

Now, I'm willing to offer a million dollars as a bet on which kind of rhetoric is usually more acceptable in a typical conservative religious community despite the fact that Dawkins and Krauss have never preached something like eternal torture for believers.