• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Didn't Adam Write Anything?

A

angellous_evangellous

Buttons* said:
Okay, so this was based off of another thread Jeffery started.

If Adam and Eve ate from the fruit of knowledge and could do all the things we could now, why didn't they write anything down themselves? If they knew everything from the fruit, why didnt they come up with all the stuff we have now? Wouldn't they find it kind of important to write some of it down for their kids generations and what not?
Characters in myths normally don't write anything. If the myth has an actual historical truth behind it, we cannot expect that the first humans were able to write.

The knowledge that Adam and Eve received from the fruit was the knowledge of good as opposed to evil. That is, they experienced (knew - in the biblical sense) evil - what it means to rebel against God. This does not mean that humans were unintelligent and received intelligence, knowledge (in the Western sense), or wisdom from eating the fruit. They received the experiential knowledge of what it means to rebel against the command of God.

Ðanisty

Compare this to the story of Prometheus, and consider the likeness.
Interesting. It's common for Luciferians to compare Lucifer to Prometheus. Many of us also believe that the serpent in the garden represented Lucifer. Do you find the serpent's actions commendable or abhorant? Personally, the snake has my gratitude.

A

angellous_evangellous

Ðanisty said:
Interesting. It's common for Luciferians to compare Lucifer to Prometheus. Many of us also believe that the serpent in the garden represented Lucifer. Do you find the serpent's actions commendable or abhorant? Personally, the snake has my gratitude.
I would rather live without evil.

The serpent's actions are neither commendable or abhorant. It's a myth explaining why there is personal and natural evil in the world, leaving God blameless. The point of the story is that life is hard because humanity rebelled against God.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
angellous_evangellous said:
I would rather live without evil.

The serpent's actions are neither commendable or abhorant. It's a myth explaining why there is personal and natural evil in the world, leaving God blameless. The point of the story is that life is hard because humanity rebelled against God.
If you lived without evil, you would not know what good is. You must experience pain to understand pleasure...

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Buttons* said:
If you lived without evil, you would not know what good is. You must experience pain to understand pleasure...
That's dualism. In a non-dualistic theology, good and evil do not exist side by side. Good and evil can be equated to light and dark. Light and dark do not exist side by side. The argument is that darkness does not exist on its own, at all. Darkness is simply the absence of light.

Since Christ (the Light) came into the world, darkness has been dispelled. What I mean by this is that God is good. All good comes from God. When we turn from God -- put our focus on ourselves instead of on God, we sin -- we are "without" God. When we are "in" God, God brings forth good works in us. we, ourselves are neither good nor evil, but without God, (absence of good), we choose evil (or darkness).

Therefore, by the same theology, one would not have to experience pain to understand pleasure.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Buttons* said:
I'm sorry for not presenting this clearer. I did already know that gensis is an allegory, but I find the entire Bible to be one. I was asking for Christians to give me opposing thoughts on the subject.
Well, here's a Christian who won't give you opposing thoughts; I believe there was a garden of Eden. We are living in it; my belief is that one day, it will be back to what it was originally.:)

Abram

Abraham
If your going to believe in a all powerful God that can create a entire universe and everything in it. You might as well believe he has the power to deliver his message through a billion years and be all that you need. To think something got left out or was drown out through religion, governments on different versions of the Bible you are underminding Gods power. The stroy of Adam was covered by Moses. No need to read what he wrote.

This is like asking why Christ did'nt write anything? He didnt have to. All part of a divine plan that will be made understood at a later time. Till then be faithful in prayer, joyfull in hope and patient in affliction.

pdoel

I think it's quite obvious why Adam never wrote anything down.

If it is true that Adam and Eve were the first two humans, think about that. We have millions of years of history to think about. During the time of Adam and Eve and now, we've had many different civilizations. We've had hundreds of thousands of years of man where there was no language. Only grunting. For a long period of time, people communicated by drawing pictures.

So, with that information alone, what would Adam write? Would he draw pictures? Would it be in some language that no longer exists, and hasn't existed for millions of years? Would he even have a concept of language?

If he somehow did manage to have a language and written skills, we're talking documents that would be millions of years old. No chance they'd still be around, or even around at the time of the writing of the Bible.

JerryL

Buttons* said:
If Adam and Eve ate from the fruit of knowledge and could do all the things we could now, why didn't they write anything down themselves? If they knew everything from the fruit, why didnt they come up with all the stuff we have now? Wouldn't they find it kind of important to write some of it down for their kids generations and what not?
1. No one would have understood it post Babal.
2. Noah's flood.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
pdoel said:
We have millions of years of history to think about.
According to some Christian Sects, humanity has only been around for 6000 years. Like Halcyon stated, we've had Egyptian and Oriental texts that have been around for longer than that.

pdoel said:
During the time of Adam and Eve and now, we've had many different civilizations. We've had hundreds of thousands of years of man where there was no language. Only grunting. For a long period of time, people communicated by drawing pictures.
So are you saying that Adam was a step in the evolutionary chain? I assumed that Adam and Eve were exactly like us, speaking ability and all.

pdoel said:
So, with that information alone, what would Adam write? Would he draw pictures? Would it be in some language that no longer exists, and hasn't existed for millions of years? Would he even have a concept of language?
Wouldn't God have a way to convey that to us because he wanted his knowledge known? Millions of years... are you sure about that?

podel said:
If he somehow did manage to have a language and written skills, we're talking documents that would be millions of years old. No chance they'd still be around, or even around at the time of the writing of the Bible.

That would be assuming that Adam evolved. Christians dont believe that the world is millions of years old...

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
JerryL said:
1. No one would have understood it post Babal.

But God can do all things, and he would have made his people able to read it if it was that important. God's people would have understood through the power of God himself.. dont you think?

JerryL said:
2. Noah's flood.

Assuming that actually happened, wouldn't God equip Noah with all of his works and words?

JerryL

But God can do all things, and he would have made his people able to read it if it was that important. God's people would have understood through the power of God himself.. dont you think?
If he wanted to, yes. What makes you assume he wants to?

Assuming that actually happened, wouldn't God equip Noah with all of his works and words?
Because he didn't want to?

Abram

Abraham
Buttons* said:
Well, why not?

Why not?
he didnt have to. moses came after the flood and he was the one God choose to start the Bible. besides you wear his words on your heart.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
SoyLeche said:
You'll have to bring both of those up with Him.
I suppose, but I'm not asking for God's answer, i'm asking for the people on the forum's opinions! *smiles*