• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why did they want to crucify jesus

free spirit

You might want to read up a little on history from this period, as Romans were factually oppressing cultural Jews.

How the Jews Lived During Jesus' Time

Everything about Roman occupation was hateful to the Jews, from oppressive taxes to physical abuse by Roman soldiers to the repugnant idea that the Roman leader was a god. Repeated efforts at gaining political independence ensued to no avail. Finally, first-century Jewish society was devastated in 70 A.D. when Roman legions under Titus sacked Jerusalem and destroyed the Temple. The loss of their religious center crushed the spirits of first-century Jews, and their descendants have never forgotten it.
The Jews were and are always culturally oppressed. There is not one country that at some time did not oppress them. The question you should ask yourself is: Why is that? It is because no one like the hypocrite, they claim to be the people of God, but they do the opposite. we read in Romans 2:23-24, "You who boast in the law, through your breaking the law, you dishonour God. For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you. just as it is written."

free spirit

These things tell you nothing because you simply know nothing about what you are saying. Muhammad peace be upon him is the comforter that Jesus peace be upon him talked about. He is the one who matches with Isaiah 29:12
I missed this one: If it wasn't that serious I would laugh til tomorrow. Now I know who Muhammad is, he is an usurper. He took the place of the Holy Spirit and many nations believed him.
We read in John 14:16, "And I will ask the Father and He will give you another comforter, that He may be with you forever."
In John we read 14:26 "But the comforter; the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you."
We read in John 15:26, "When the comforter comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the father, He will bear witness of me."
We read in John 16:7, "But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the comforter shall not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you."
If you truly believe that Muhammad is the comforter that Jesus spoke about, you would also believe that an elephant can fly. He is an usurper, the other aspirant usurper is Satan because he said " I will make myself like the most High" There is a judgement coming when those usurpers will be unmasked, and where will you be them. I strongly advice you to read Isaiah 29:12-14 It is not reassuring, an illiterate has no understanding he can only repeat what he hears.
Why do you say "peace be upon him" when you mention the name of Muhammad and Jesus.

free spirit

The accusation was that he was "king of the Jews" -so he was "officially" crucified for challenging Roman rule.
The official charge was "Jesus the Nazarene the king of the Jews" but the Jews asked Pilate to change it to "I am king of the Jews" Pilate answered "What I have written I have written" And if you think that Jesus challenged Roman rule You should read John 18:33-40 and 19:1-22.
For if He challenged Rome rule, He would be guilty of something.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
YHWH made the greatest sacrifice anyone ever has...the death of Yahushua on the cross...just to have you with Him. He wants to purify you...don't be afraid to let Him.

Alas, it does not look like a sacrifice at all.

I would be ready to do basycally anything if I had a death expectancy of three days.

Ciao

- viole

Sabour

You got all twisted up. Would you love a son who has committed sins more than the one who has not committed sins. Are you saying that to get more of the love of God we should sin? this is insanity in its purest forme.

I am not at all twisted. But seems to me that you don't know the meaning of repentance from the question you asked. What you are doing here is showing a limited understanding making me say that it would be good for you to sin and than repentance. This is not repentance because one condition has not been fulfilled and that his the pure intention. Also you have to differentiate between major sing and minor sins.

However since you are objecting to that, for the third time I would ask you what does the story of the lost sheep and the brother who has sinned against the father teach?

2)Muhammad history is well known, he was a great man of the world but certainly he was not a man of God.
3)
Perhaps you need to read a biography about prophet Muhammad peace be upon him.

You wrote "that no body would be a believer unless he loves for his brother what he loves for himself"
This is like saying: "he should wish for his brother what he wishes for himself." it is a good intention but it is not of God

Actually, the meaning is beyond that Mario. I don't know why you don't see the whole picture.

Do you consider the "love your neighbor" from God? Is it because Jesus peace be upon him said it? Well that should tell you if that is from God or not.

Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him doesn't talk from his own desires.

5) No I am not in a game show, we read in Ephesians 6:17, "And take the helmet of salvation, and the eword of the spirit, which is the word of God," and we read in Hebrews 4:12, "For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword , and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joint and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart."

If you think you can deviate from the subject by quoting other verses, think again.

Point is you were saying Muhammad peace me upon him made wars, and Jesus peace be upon him said I didn't come to bring peace but a sword.

You can't simply jump into other verses Mario.

You are saying things about Islam and prophet Muhammad peace be upon him that are already found in Christianity. So if you don't like them and you think this proves it wrong, than I wonder why you are a Christian.

Sabour

If you truly believe that Muhammad is the comforter that Jesus spoke about, you would also believe that an elephant can fly. He is an usurper, the other aspirant usurper is Satan because he said " I will make myself like the most High" There is a judgement coming when those usurpers will be unmasked, and where will you be them. I strongly advice you to read Isaiah 29:12-14 It is not reassuring, an illiterate has no understanding he can only repeat what he hears.
Why do you say "peace be upon him" when you mention the name of Muhammad and Jesus.

I think you guys should learn than saying things like "it is laughable and it is not true" actually doesn't prove anything.

It is funny that you are talking about Isaiah 29:12 And when they give the book to one who cannot read, saying, “Read this,” he says, “I cannot read.”

Who is Isaiah 29:12 talking about here? Who has received a revelation in the cave by angel Gabriel and the first verse was Read? Who is is the person who said I can not read?

I say peace be upon him after the name of every prophet.

gnostic

The Lost One
Just because they wrote that Jesus is the "King of the Jews", doesn't mean anything because he was never a king. And I think it was written to mock him, not because Jesus had any hereditary titles or nobility.

Etritonakin

Some who believed Christ was the Messiah thought he would overthrow Rome or free them from Roman rule in their time. This likely got around to the Romans. The title was meant to mock -but also reflected the legal reasoning for his execution.

outhouse

Atheistically
Some who believed Christ was the Messiah thought he would overthrow Rome or free them from Roman rule in their time.

But did this take place after his death or while he was alive?

All indications are that this happened after death. While alive it would have been blasphemous for any pious Jew to make this claim.

The title was meant to mock -but also reflected the legal reasoning for his execution

There was no legal reason needed to crucify a trouble maker at Passover. By all historical accounts he had no trial.

outhouse

Atheistically
Just because they wrote that Jesus is the "King of the Jews", doesn't mean anything because he was never a king. And I think it was written to mock him, not because Jesus had any hereditary titles or nobility.

Correct in my opinion.

Etritonakin

But did this take place after his death or while he was alive?

All indications are that this happened after death. While alive it would have been blasphemous for any pious Jew to make this claim.

There was no legal reason needed to crucify a trouble maker at Passover. By all historical accounts he had no trial.

Some thought it beforehand -there would be little reason to after his death. I'll see if I can find the verse later.

Here they are trying to cause him to speak against Rome....... so catching him in a legal bind and bringing the wrath of Rome against him was definitely on their minds....

Mat 22:15 Then went the Pharisees, and took counsel how they might entangle him in his talk.
Mat 22:16 And they sent out unto him their disciples with the Herodians, saying, Master, we know that thou art true, and teachest the way of God in truth, neither carest thou for any man: for thou regardest not the person of men.
Mat 22:17 Tell us therefore, What thinkest thou? Is it lawful to give tribute unto Caesar, or not?
Mat 22:18 But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, Why tempt ye me, ye hypocrites?

It was the underlying issue from the point of view of the representative of the Roman government -and probably one of the accusations raised by his own people.....

Mat 27:11 And Jesus stood before the governor: and the governor asked him, saying, Art thou the King of the Jews? And Jesus said unto him, Thou sayest.
Mat 27:12 And when he was accused of the chief priests and elders, he answered nothing.
Mat 27:13 Then said Pilate unto him, Hearest thou not how many things they witness against thee?

It was not Rome that desired his execution -but it was Rome that carried it out -and that was the grounds -trial or not.

outhouse

Atheistically
It was not Rome that desired his execution -

Sure it was. They policed these events in conjunction with temple police. Starting a riot could cause the death of Caiaphas and Pilate. There lives were on the line to keep the money flowing.

there would be little reason to after his death

Yet everything we have written was done so after his death, long after.

Many claim the gospels were building the divinity of Jesus, so they had all the reasons. We don't know if he was considered a messiah while alive.

gnostic

The Lost One
Conquered and asked is the same thing ?

History of ancient Israel and Judah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 63 BCE the Roman general Pompey conquered Jerusalem and made the Jewish kingdom a Client state of Rome.

Yes, Judaea became a client kingdom during Pompey's campaign in the eastern Mediterranean, till 6 CE, when Augustus banished Herod Archelaus.

According to Flavius Josephus, Archelaus ruled for 10 years (4 BCE - 6 CE), after his father's death - Herod the Great.

6 CE was the time when Judaea officially became a Roman province; it was the same year that Publius Sulpicius Quirinius was appointed as governor of Syria, and it was then that the census of Judaea took place.

People of Judaea rebelled a number of times when Herod and Archelaus were rulers, and they rebelled a number of times, when Judaea became a province of Rome.

When Archelaus was ruler (a tetrarch), Publius Quinctilius Varus was then governor of Syria (from 7/6 BCE to 4 BCE). In 4 BCE, Varus crushed a rebellion, known as the messianic revolt, where Varus had 2000 Judaeans crucified.

Herod and his dynasty supported Rome, so Rome kept him them in powers, but I think Free Spirit is confusing Herod and sons being allies to Rome, to that of the whole of Judaea. Herod and Archelaus didn't represent Judaea, because a lot of their own subjects, hated their rulers, as well as Rome's present in Judaea.

Etritonakin

Sure it was. They policed these events in conjunction with temple police. Starting a riot could cause the death of Caiaphas and Pilate. There lives were on the line to keep the money flowing.

Yet everything we have written was done so after his death, long after.

Many claim the gospels were building the divinity of Jesus, so they had all the reasons. We don't know if he was considered a messiah while alive.
I don't really get your point. Pilate would have released Jesus. Are you just being argumentative about the fact that things have to be written about after the fact?
If you mean that the written word is not always true -that's understandable.

outhouse

Atheistically
When Archelaus was ruler (a tetrarch), Publius Quinctilius Varus was then governor of Syria (from 7/6 BCE to 4 BCE). In 4 BCE, Varus crushed a rebellion, known as the messianic revolt, where Varus had 2000 Judaeans crucified.

Lets add to that ;) Varus had Sepphoris crushed, and along with the 2000 crucified, something like 4000 were sold into slavery.

Its been my opinion, that may be why they have Jesus being born somewhere other then Nazareth, because that part of Galilee was not safe for Aramaic peasants of any kind.

Harikrish

There are several answers why Jesus had to be crucified.

Jesus believed he was sent to fulfill the prophesies and had to die so that the new world order would be established after his death.

The people wanted Jesus killed because to them he was a false prophet and a blasphemer.
Deuteronomy 18: 20 But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, must be put to death."

Jesus's disciples did not understand what he was saying about his death and mission. They all abandoned him during his crucifixion.

And we know what Jesus said on the cross.

Matthew 27:46 About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?" (which means "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?").

All this could have been avoided if Jesus was diagnosed and found he suffered from a messiah complex.