• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Did God Wait?

Onoma

What does that have to do with the OP anyway?

Let's assume the scriptures are a fairy tale. Even a fairy tale has a definite story line. It was said in the fairy tale that Adam sinned but that God promised He'd redeem them. Since it is usually accepted that God Himself came down to rescue mankind, instead of coming down right then and there, why did He wait for 4,000 years? If you don't know, there is nothing wrong with saying you don't know, so don't feel pressured to come up with the answer.

I'm not pressured

Your premise is a false dichotomy, therefore nonsensical

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No verse references. I was want to see if anyone had anything from the actual scriptures that would answer the question, I'm not interested in opinions.
Seems that we're approaching the question from different directions. I'm taking a historiographical approach: IOW, I'm asking how the story ended up saying what it says. You seem to be taking a number of things as given in this that I'm not personally willing to concede as necessarily true.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
Why did God wait for 4,000 years before sending the redeemer? Verse references would be helpful.
Another question --
Why did God take about 1400 years (roughly) between giving the first laws until finally giving the law that would bring about the end of slavery (freeing slaves), in scripture, as shown in outcome finally in Philemon?

Why so long?

For both this and your own broader question, the answer is the same --

People, cultures, nations, cannot take huge steps.

They fail.

(to be precise only a few individuals succeed at a big change, and most of the people in a nation or culture fail to do a big change)

People, nations, cultures -- need incremental small steps, so that they can progress over time.

A stairway. Nothing else works.

Step by step, to gradually ascend to being truly civilized.

To this level even(!) --

Matthew 7:12 In everything, then, do to others as you would have them do to you. For this is the essence of the Law and the Prophets.

(something often easy to do today in our modern American culture for many, in their well-to-do life situations, but still hard or impossible in moments when someone harms or insults or otherwise seriously mistreats us (without God; with God all things are possible). That's when we need God.)

Last edited:

rrobs

He gave Man dominion

and Man has a nasty snatch and grab.....me first.....approach

He may have been waiting to see if we could work it out for ourselves

and He can be patient
Yes! He gave dominion to man. God was (is) not in charge. Very perceptive of you. Most Christians don't even know that.

In Genesis 3:15 God promised the redeemer would come from the seed of Eve. In the first chapter we see God explaining what seed is. It's simple, a rose seed produces another rose bush, an oak seed seed produces another oak tree, a cat seed (sperm) produces another cat, etc. So what would the seed of a human produce? A god? A god-man? How about another man! Yes, the redeemer would be a man, not a god, nor a god-man.

It took 4,000 years for God to explain (vie the scriptures) what must be done by some human to rectify the problem. He had to really plan things well in order to give the human Jesus the best chance at making all the right choices, all the way to the very end. Jesus, being human, did have free will and could have followed God's plan or not. I imagine keeping Israel together was like herding a million cats across the desert, but somehow He managed to keep the message pure so that Jesus would have his instructions. All in all, it's a wonder it only took 4,000 years to do it.

Take care.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yes! He gave dominion to man. God was (is) not in charge. Very perceptive of you. Most Christians don't even know that.

In Genesis 3:15 God promised the redeemer would come from the seed of Eve.
Genesis 3:15 doesn't seem to say anything about a redeemer:

And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

rrobs

Seems that we're approaching the question from different directions. I'm taking a historiographical approach: IOW, I'm asking how the story ended up saying what it says. You seem to be taking a number of things as given in this that I'm not personally willing to concede as necessarily true.
I'm just considering the question from a scriptural perspective. Let the scriptures be a fairy tale if you wish, but even a fairy tale has a definite story line. What it says is in fact a given. So, the fairy tale says God waited 4,000 years before redeeming mankind. Does the fairy tale explain why? That is my question.

rrobs

Genesis 3:15 doesn't seem to say anything about a redeemer:

And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
To whom or what do you think the seed of Genesis 3:15 referred if not the redeemer?

Genesis 3:15 is the first mention of Jesus. It is easy enough to see that if you have a grasp of the overall scope of the scriptures.

rrobs

It is though

You presented an either / or scenario ( Either it's true or it's not )

That's a false dichotomy

:)
I agree with you that it is either true or not. Not sure why you think that is a false dichotomy. Wouldn't everything be either true or not?

For example, is it true or not that we've gotten way off the OP? :)

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
He did send many prophets before that including stone tablets. The redeemer also failed. Something inherently wrong with God's designs.

As any married couple knows, you can't force others to act a certain way.

Btw, John tells us in no uncertain terms that Jesus was with the Creator in the beginning.

In the OT, we have some unnamed man wrestle with Jacob, and we have several humanlike divine figures or savior figures across multiple cultures (Maui, Akhnaten, Merlin, Hercules, Buddha). We also have many death and rebirth types.

None of these inspired people toward the desired result. You kinda have to want to be saved.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm just considering the question from a scriptural perspective. Let the scriptures be a fairy tale if you wish, but even a fairy tale has a definite story line. What it says is in fact a given. So, the fairy tale says God waited 4,000 years before redeeming mankind. Does the fairy tale explain why? That is my question.
And my answer is that this is explained by the historiography: the story of the story.

Authors writing the New Testament in the first century CE were writing in support of a couple of key ideas:

- Jesus was the Messiah
- the Jewish scriptures (or their interpretation of them, at least) was correct

These two things put some serious constraints on the narrative.

Onoma

I agree with you that it is either true or not. Not sure why you think that is a false dichotomy.

well then I'd start over

If you could offer some evidence outside the Bible that time began 4,000 years ago, I'd be interested

Maybe start by explaining some Sumerian metrology :)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
To whom or what do you think the seed of Genesis 3:15 referred if not the redeemer?
The passage seems to refer to the relationship between humans and snakes in general.

This passage is in the "just-so story" portion of Genesis: it explains things like:

- why women have pain in childbirth
- why men have to labour
- why snakes have no legs

... and in this same vein, it explains why people have an aversion to snakes and try to kill them.

Edit: quite a bit of Genesis is about establishing the "origin story" for the way of life of the ancient Jewish people.

Genesis 3:15 is the first mention of Jesus. It is easy enough to see that if you have a grasp of the overall scope of the scriptures.
What you call "a grasp of the overall scope of the scriptures," I call pareidolia. You're doing some pretty obvious retconning.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Why did God wait for 4,000 years before sending the redeemer? Verse references would be helpful.
Just advice, rrobs, that you put questions like this in the Christian DIR to avoid flack from the non-Christians.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
In other words, even those earliest humans must have had a conscience. If a Creator exists, conscience is its gift of an internal moral guidance system.
Conscience does not require a creator. It depends on how a person was raised in childhood, what kind of education, training, social influences, experiences did he/she go through. All that when registered in brain gives rise to conscience or no conscience. But yes, this is not what the OP asked for.
.. it seems He could have done it right after Adam disobeyed. Why did He make mankind suffer for 4,000 years? Was it punishment? Why did they get punished, but we don't? Lot's of questions, really.
How could Satan or Adam disobey if the God did not want it? Yeah, lot of unanswered questions.

Terry Sampson

LOL! Your question may be only barely less ambiguous than one asking: "Why did God wait for 4,000 years before sending a redeemer?"
  • 4,000 years starting when?
    • 2020 minus 4,000 years = 1880 BCE?
    • 0 minus 4,000 years = 4000 BCE?
    • ???

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You kinda have to want to be saved.
No, Samantha. Advaitist and atheists do not need to be saved (I am both, Advaitist and atheist :)).

I have no hatred or dislike, nor greed or delusion, nor pride or haughtiness, nor feelings of envy or jealousy;
I have no duty (dharma), nor money, nor desire (kāma), nor even liberation (mokṣa). I am the form of eternal bliss, the auspicious, the eternal.

"na me dveşarāgau na me lobhamohau, mado naiva me naiva mātsarya bhāvaḥ;
na dharmo na cārtho na kāmo na mokşaḥ, cid-ānanda-rūpaḥ śivo'ham śivo'ham."

Atma Shatkam - Wikipedia (6 verses to nirvana, this is the third verse)

Last edited:

Onoma

Most historians generally agree that the conventions by with Mesopotamians recorded and kept time with, were established roughly around 4,000 BC ( Uruk )

..which coincidentally would place the Biblical narrative starting in the same era, provided you bother to add up the spans of time in the genealogies listed

However, I don't recall the Bible asking readers to add up the lifespans to determine the time of " the beginning "

In fact, iirc, the scriptures tell us not to be concerned with such a thing , 1 Timothy 1:4 for example

But, this question in the OP sets up a false dichotomy by assuming a foundation of Biblical literalism, which is a niche view held by a few in a rather large group