• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Did God Wait?

rrobs

And my answer is that this is explained by the historiography: the story of the story.

Authors writing the New Testament in the first century CE were writing in support of a couple of key ideas:

- Jesus was the Messiah
- the Jewish scriptures (or their interpretation of them, at least) was correct

These two things put some serious constraints on the narrative.
Again, it doesn't matter what people supported. The fairy tale stands on it's own, so my question stands; why did God wait 4,000 years to fix things? You'd think the fairy tale would have the answer to such a simple question.

rrobs

well then I'd start over

If you could offer some evidence outside the Bible that time began 4,000 years ago, I'd be interested

Maybe start by explaining some Sumerian metrology :)
I don't think the Bible says time began 4,000 years ago, It really doesn't say, but that's beside the point.

The question is, according to the fairy tale itself, why did God wait 4,000 years to redeem mankind. Whether God exists or not, whether the scriptures are true or not, is not the subject under discussion. I just want to know what the fairly tale says about something.

rrobs

The passage seems to refer to the relationship between humans and snakes in general.

This passage is in the "just-so story" portion of Genesis: it explains things like:

- why women have pain in childbirth
- why men have to labour
- why snakes have no legs

... and in this same vein, it explains why people have an aversion to snakes and try to kill them.

Edit: quite a bit of Genesis is about establishing the "origin story" for the way of life of the ancient Jewish people.

What you call "a grasp of the overall scope of the scriptures," I call pareidolia. You're doing some pretty obvious retconning.
Well, the scriptures would have a scope of some sort. It stands on it's own. How is my perception wrong about 4,000 years between Adam and Jesus? It has nothing to do with pareidolia or retcon. It's simple math.

Onoma

I don't think the Bible says time began 4,000 years ago, It really doesn't say, but that's beside the point.

The question is, according to the fairy tale itself, why did God wait 4,000 years to redeem mankind. Whether God exists or not, whether the scriptures are true or not, is not the subject under discussion. I just want to know what the fairly tale says about something.

once again, you present a false dichotomy

you'd have to first offer some compelling evidence that time actually started 4,000 years ago

Until you do that, your question is purely meaningless

rrobs

LOL! Your question may be only barely less ambiguous than one asking: "Why did God wait for 4,000 years before sending a redeemer?"
  • 4,000 years starting when?
    • 2020 minus 4,000 years = 1880 BCE?
    • 0 minus 4,000 years = 4000 BCE?
    • ???
I thought it would be self evident that I was talking about the 4,000 years between Adam and Jesus. Did you really not get that?

rrobs

once again, you present a false dichotomy

you'd have to first offer some compelling evidence that time actually started 4,000 years ago

Until you do that, your question is purely meaningless
Just because you have no meaningful answer does not mean the question is meaningless. It's a good question.

Onoma

Just because you have no meaningful answer does not mean the question is meaningless. It's a good question.

Actually, if the logic you use to formulate your question is flawed to begin with, it is meaningless

Let's start with something simple

Assume I'm an idiot, if you haven't done so already

I need to have it clearly explained to me where this span of 4,000 years comes from

joe1776

Conscience does not require a creator. It depends on how a person was raised in childhood, what kind of education, training, social influences, experiences did he/she go through. All that when registered in brain gives rise to conscience or no conscience. But yes, this is not what the OP asked for.
My response was to Metis and not the OP.

You are mistaken about conscience. Your opinion on it is a popular myth which science has been challenging for the past 20 years. One researcher put it this way:

Humans are born with a hard-wired morality: a sense of good and evil is bred in the bone. I know this claim might sound outlandish, but it's supported now by research in several laboratories --- Paul Bloom, Yale psychologist.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well, the scriptures would have a scope of some sort. It stands on it's own. How is my perception wrong about 4,000 years between Adam and Jesus? It has nothing to do with pareidolia or retcon. It's simple math.
The retconning is in how you inserted Jesus into the Garden of Eden story.

But this game where you come up with your own bizarre specious interpretations for Bible verses and treat them as unquestionable fact sounds like it's not going to be much fun for me, so I think I'll leave you to play it on your own.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Why did God wait for 4,000 years before sending the redeemer? Verse references would be helpful.

I know that it doesn't say "why" only that "in the fulness of time" or, paraphrased, at the right time.

Galatians 4:4
But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,

But I think time is relative. If indeed a thousand years is as a day for God, he only waited 4 days. :)

Terry Sampson

I thought it would be self evident that I was talking about the 4,000 years between Adam and Jesus. Did you really not get that?
No, I didn't. If I had been certain that that was what you were talking about, I would have recommended that you consult the JWs or Soapy. According to them, they are the only authorities on Scripture and what God has done and why; and the rest of us are satanic idiots.