• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did God create homosexuality?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
HA, you just posted a quote saying that the gospels are not independent which backs up my point that the other gospels are copies of Mark? Then it goes on to say MOST NT SCHOLARS ARGUE FOR MORE??? Which means they believe they were ALL copied from Mark.
This is the conclusion of Richard Carrier, Bart Ehrman and most NT historians?

Now, you haven't yet explained what part of this article was "junk". You just posted a quote saying the other gospels were indeed reliant on MArk. This is from Bible.org

If you read actual NT historians they believe all were copied from Mark.
Now again, what part was junk and please give sources.

Oh, you failed to respond to the debunking that myths don't contain "sightseeing" as well. Krishna also did some sightseeing. You failed to respond to anything actually?

This is called a "source" -

"
4. “The Gospels”

“This should actually count for four reasons to accept Jesus’ existence as each Gospel is an independent account of his life.” Nope. See above. Every Gospel is just an embellished redaction of Mark. Even John (OHJ, ch. 10.7)."
Dr Carrier
41 Reasons We're, Like, Totes Sure Jesus Existed! • Richard Carrier

I already gave sources that the gospels are anonymous. This is consensus even in Christian scholarship never mind historicity. I get you are living in a fantasy world where your beliefs are all true despite what even your own religion thinks but could you at least try?

"Most scholars date Mark to c. 66–74 AD, either shortly before or after the destruction of the Second Temple in 70 AD.[6] They reject the traditional ascription to Mark the Evangelist, the companion of the Apostle Peter, which probably arose from the desire of early Christians to link the work to an authoritative figure, and believe it to be the work of an author working with various sources including collections of miracle stories, controversy stories, parables, and a passion narrative."

An author. Anonymous. Using miracle stories, parables ....myths.

Besides copying OT lines verbatim Mark also took Paul's letters and created earthly stories around them. In Paul Jesus is talking to him giving a message to future Christians about how his body is bread and so on. Mark changes it to an actual supper with people and real bread. It's a myth.

"
Another example is “the last supper.” This began as a vision Paul had of Jesus relating to him what he spoke mystically to all future generations of Christians, as we see in 1 Corinthians 11:23-27. As Paul there says, he received this “from the Lord.” Directly. Just as he says he received all his teachings (Galatians 1:11-12; Romans 10:14-15; Romans 16:25-26). In Paul’s version, no one else is present. It is not a “last” supper (as if Jesus had had any others before), but merely “the bread and cup of the Lord.” And Jesus is not speaking to “disciples” but to the whole Christian Church unto the end of time—including Paul and his congregations.

The text in Paul reads as follows (translating the Greek as literally as I can):

For I received from the Lord what I also handed over to you, that the Lord Jesus, during the night he was handed over, took bread, and having given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in the remembrance of me.” Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, as often as you might drink it in remembrance of me.” For as often as you might eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.

1 CORINTHIANS 11:23-26
Notably, “until he comes,” and not “until he returns.” This becomes in Mark (emphasis added):

While they were eating, having taken bread, and having blessed it, he broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “Take; this is my body.” Then, having taken a cup, and having given thanks, he gave it to them, and they all drank from it. And he said to them, “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many. Truly I tell you, that never again shall I drink from the fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it anew in the kingdom of God.” And having sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.

MARK 14:22-26
Notice what’s changed. Paul is describing Jesus miming some actions and explaining their importance. His audience is future Christians. Mark has transformed this into a narrative story by adding people being present and having Jesus interact with them: now “they were eating” (Paul does not mention anyone actually eating) and Jesus gave the bread “to them” (does not occur in Paul) and instructs them to “take” it (no such instruction in Paul); and Jesus gave the cup “to them” (does not occur in Paul) and “they all drink it” (no such event in Paul); and Jesus describes the meaning of the cup “to them” (no such audience in Paul).

Then Jesus says he will not drink “again” until the kingdom comes, a statement that fits a narrative event, implying Jesus drank, and here drank, and often drank, and will pause drinking until the end times. Likewise Jesus “blesses” the bread (which also doesn’t happen in Paul), implying the actual literal bread he has in his hand is thereby rendered special to the ones about to eat it; whereas in Paul that makes no sense, because no one is there to eat it, Jesus is just depicting and explaining a ritual others will perform in his honor, not that he is performing for them. So it is notable that all of these things are absent from Paul. There is no narrative context of this being the last of many cups Jesus has drunk and of Jesus pausing drinking or of his blessing the bread and giving it to people present. In Paul, the whole scene is an instruction to future followers, not a description of a meal Jesus once had.

This is how Mark reifies a revelation in Paul, relating Jesus’s celestial instructions for performing a sacrament and its meaning, into a narrative historical event. Mark has even taken Paul’s language, about Jesus being “handed over,” which in Paul means by God (Romans 8:32, exact same word) and even by himself (Galatians 2:20, exact same word), not by Judas, and converted it into a whole new narrative of a betrayal by “the Jews” (the meaning of Judas, i.e. Judah, i.e. Judea). Paul has no knowledge of a betrayal. Indeed in Paul, all of “the twelve” get to see Jesus right after his death and are recognized as apostles (1 Corinthians 15:5; see Proving History, pp. 151-55).

Mark's Use of Paul's Epistles • Richard Carrier
TLDR

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Go away? You are the one responding and failing to produce any evidence. Then getting pissy when your beliefs are clearly fiction.
I didn't read the rest...... just noticed this ^^^

You have no investigative or academic skills imo.
You have not grasped what I do believe in.
You have no knowledge about the gospels.
You only read stuff that reinforces your prejudices.

Firelight

Inactive member
Ooops, you've confused me with the other poster you were conversing with.
Also, it's kind of difficult to converse with someone "who was actually long gone after his thread was hijacked," wouldn't you say?

I haven’t confused you with someone else. You quoted and addressed me in #583. I have no idea what your second sentence/paragraph here means as I was never conversing with the original poster of this thread. Perhaps, you did not understand my response, or perhaps, I didn’t understand your comment to me in #583.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
...in my opinion, all should stay away from homosexuality, and do their best to deter others from it also, for it is obscene and perverted. If you're over 10 years old, you should be able to understand this.
...but, actually, just to underscore my point, it's usually the adolescent who understand these things more intuitively then those who, through the years, tend to get corrupted and desensitized by either witnessing, or partaking in behaviour that would have repulsed them as a child.
Yet despite my questioning, you have yet to explain or demonstrate how it is "obscene" and "perverted." You also have yet to explain how being "flamboyant" or a "tom-boy" are harmful in any way. Instead of answering you turn to riddles and attempted insults. That doesn't look good for you or your case.

I know many gay people who are none of the things you are describing here - they harm absolutely nobody. So my experience doesn't jive with your bold, empty assertions which as far as I can tell, aren't based on anything in the real world. Just bigotry and stereotypes. You could prove me wrong though, by answering my simple questions. The fact that you haven't so far speaks volumes.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I haven’t confused you with someone else. You quoted and addressed me in #583. I have no idea what your second sentence/paragraph here means as I was never conversing with the original poster of this thread. Perhaps, you did not understand my response, or perhaps, I didn’t understand your comment to me in #583.
You accused me of not conversing with the thread creator who you also noted, left the thread pretty early on.
Not sure how to converse with someone who isn't here, but whatever, I guess. :shrug:

DNB

Christian
Yet despite my questioning, you have yet to explain or demonstrate how it is "obscene" and "perverted." You also have yet to explain how being "flamboyant" or a "tom-boy" are harmful in any way. Instead of answering you turn to riddles and attempted insults. That doesn't look good for you or your case.

I know many gay people who are none of the things you are describing here - they harm absolutely nobody. So my experience doesn't jive with your bold, empty assertions which as far as I can tell, aren't based on anything in the real world. Just bigotry and stereotypes. You could prove me wrong though, by answering my simple questions. The fact that you haven't so far speaks volumes.
I have said everything that I have needed to say on the subject matter. The fact that you don't seem to have a clue in regard to anything that I have said, but have construed my sentiments as nothing but bigoted and homophobic vitriol, elicits to me the futility of engaging with you, seriously.
Certain views on a matter require wisdom and insight in order to perceive the merit or detriment in engaging in certain activities, of which you aren't showing any. Sexual perversions are insidious, one cannot necessarily quantify the damage. The destruction is to their own character, where boys end up acting like girls, and girls become crass and vulgar, or act like bimbos or tom-boys. And, again, these consequences are not restricted to homosexual perversions alone, but to all sexual deviancies.

But, again SkepticThinker, you are definitely going to make me regret responding to you, for you appear to be absolutely oblivious to anything that I am saying. ...and oblivious to the true nature of the many gay people that you know.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I have said everything that I have needed to say on the subject matter. The fact that you don't seem to have a clue in regard to anything that I have said, but have construed my sentiments as nothing but bigoted and homophobic vitriol, elicits to me the futility of engaging with you, seriously.
Certain views on a matter require wisdom and insight in order to perceive the merit or detriment in engaging in certain activities, of which you aren't showing any. Sexual perversions are insidious, one cannot necessarily quantify the damage. The destruction is to their own character, where boys end up acting like girls, and girls become crass and vulgar, or act like bimbos or tom-boys. And, again, these consequences are not restricted to homosexual perversions alone, but to all sexual deviancies.

But, again SkepticThinker, you are definitely going to make me regret responding to you, for you appear to be absolutely oblivious to anything that I am saying. ...and oblivious to the true nature of the many gay people that you know.
Nobody has a clue what you're talking about because you have failed to explain anything at all. You say people are perverts and being a "tom-boy" and "flamboyant" are somehow harmful things without any explanation whatsoever.

You have failed to make your case. And what's more, your talking points are decades/centuries-old bigoted, prejudicial, homophobic stereotypes that don't seem to have any basis in reality that you can actually point out to anyone. Don't even try pushing that garbage onto me as though I'm doing it.

It's bad, but you can't explain why. Great, then I can easily just dismiss your claims for the nonsense they are. I will do the same with your attempted insults. By the way, insults are the last refuge of a person who has no argument.

Have a nice day. Be nice to people, even if they're gay. They're just humans, after all.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Hoo boy, this thread. I don't even know where to start.

1. Gender is a social construct.
2. The verse often quoted in Leviticus refers to pedophilia, not homosexuality.
3. "Bimbo" is a slur so maybe don't use that.
4. People have the right to act how they want. Girls can wear pants and guys can wear dresses because clothes are not gendered because again: gender is a social construct. (Note I didn't say sex. Sex is biological).
5. Why are Christians so obsessed with what other people do in the bedroom? Because big yikes to that.

Azrael Antilla

Because the Old Testament is the mythologized history and politics of an ancient culture. Assuming it is the definitive Word of God is dangerous and impractical.
Succinctly put. To the point. In the natural order, homosexuality is a commonly observed phenomenon in literally hundreds, probably thousands of animal species. Including humans of course. If homosexuality was an aberration and deletetrious to reproductive success, then it would instead be an extremely rare phenomenon. Which is not the case. Clearly homosexual behaviour has benefits, for a species. In social primates, it's useful for social bonding and as a token of reciprocal exchange. As observed in Bonobo chimpanzees. The most peaceful of the two chimpanzee species and their closest living relatives. Homo sapiens. The third extant chimp lineage.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

4. People have the right to act how they want. Girls can wear pants and guys can wear dresses because clothes are not gendered because again: gender is a social construct. (Note I didn't say sex. Sex is biological).
5. Why are Christians so obsessed with what other people do in the bedroom? Because big yikes to that.
One possible explanation of his attitude is that he may be a latent homosexual. There have been studies that link latent homosexuality (unexpressed homosexual desires) with strong homophobia. His religion bans homosexuality and a desire for that puts him at risk. One frequent "tell" is when a person calls homosexuality a choice. It may be a choice for the latent homosexual. They can swing either way. But it was not a tell for most. There was one recent poster a few pages backthat was gay and did not like his therapist because the therapist could not cure him of his wants and desires.

DNB

Christian
Nobody has a clue what you're talking about because you have failed to explain anything at all. You say people are perverts and being a "tom-boy" and "flamboyant" are somehow harmful things without any explanation whatsoever.

You have failed to make your case. And what's more, your talking points are decades/centuries-old bigoted, prejudicial, homophobic stereotypes that don't seem to have any basis in reality that you can actually point out to anyone. Don't even try pushing that garbage onto me as though I'm doing it.

It's bad, but you can't explain why. Great, then I can easily just dismiss your claims for the nonsense they are. I will do the same with your attempted insults. By the way, insults are the last refuge of a person who has no argument.

Have a nice day. Be nice to people, even if they're gay. They're just humans, after all.
...But, again SkepticThinker, you are definitely going to make me regret responding to you, for you appear to be absolutely oblivious to anything that I am saying. ...and oblivious to the true nature of the many gay people that you know.

DNB

Christian

Get serious, Asoka. Don't pervert fundamental and immutable principles in order to accommodate your licentious views
Gender is biological - I don't care to hear about your sophistry on the matter
Leviticus meant one thing, and one thing only: illicit nature of same gender sexual relationships
Bimbo sums it up quite appropriately
People do not have the right to act or dress in any way that they want. We are not alone in this world, therefore, everything that we do affects others, either positively or negatively.
Christians abhor sin, and especially those who approve of them (calling good bad, and bad good). If there are any problems in the world, it is due solely and invariably to sin, especially when it becomes deemed as harmless and acceptable by those who lack insight, integrity, wisdom and a sense of decency. Christians care about others, licentious people do not, ...though they try to beguile that they do, behind their permissive, and perceived open-minded attitudes.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Get serious, Asoka. Don't pervert fundamental and immutable principles in order to accommodate your licentious views
Leviticus meant one thing, and one thing only: illicit nature of same gender sexual relationships
People do not have the right to act or dress in any way that they want. We are not alone in this world, therefore, everything that we do affects others, either positively or negatively.
Christians abhor sin, and especially those who approve of them (calling good bad, and bad good). If there are any problems in the world, it is due solely and invariably to sin, especially when it becomes deemed as harmless and acceptable by those who lack insight, integrity, wisdom and a sense of decency. Christians care about others, licentious people do not, ...though they try to beguile that they do, behind their permissive, and perceived open-minded attitudes.

It's Ashoka. But that's okay. Also, I thought you were done here? But okay.

As for Leviticus, I would suggest you check out 1946 | The Mistranslation that Shifted a Culture. I know you won't, but maybe someone on here who is questioning their faith and sexuality will come upon it and it will help them. "Malakoi" and "Aresenokoitai" refer to pedophilia, which was a sexual perversion that was popular with the ancient Greeks at the time, who used it as a rite of religious initiation. The Israelites were like "ew no what the hell is wrong with you" and that's why it ended up in their laws.

"Bimbo" is a slur. Please do not use it. It just makes you look like a bully. Women are women. They can act how they want without you having to tell them how they "should" act. I love that women can choose to be how they wish. I love that men can choose to be how they wish. And, shocker! I love nonbinary people (yes they exist) who dress up however they wish.

Yes. We live in a country where people can dress as they please. You don't get to dictate that to them and be the morality police. I know you would love to be able to dictate that, but you can't. Sorry.

Christians aren't supposed to abhor anybody. Didn't the son of your God say "love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you"?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
...But, again SkepticThinker, you are definitely going to make me regret responding to you, for you appear to be absolutely oblivious to anything that I am saying. ...and oblivious to the true nature of the many gay people that you know.
Read my post again. Slower this time.

The many gay people that I know are fine human beings that don't fit into your ridiculous stereotypical views of them. They're much finer people than you appear to be.

Azrael Antilla

Homosexuality has existed long before your iron age theology, and it will outlive it too. Your regressive and hateful narrative, will be outlived also. As time goes on, tolerance for your kind of inequitable anti social behaviour, will steadily diminish. As it should. I only hope those like yourself will never forget that there lies eternal opposition to those who try to control and dehumanise others. Whom try to transfer their own sexual insecurities and hangups upon others. Those dubious sin seekers who self righteously set themselves upon a pedestal of judgement and condemn their fellows whom they do not know. Perversely claiming they speak for goodness and love. They do not. They speak for putrid unrelenting hate.

Kelly of the Phoenix

I am well aware of that, and do accept it. They can't get married in my opinion. How am I not accepting the fact that they don't have balls?
In Christ there is neither male nor female. Why bring up gender issues at all if Jesus considered them irrelevant?

Azrael Antilla

Read my post again. Slower this time.

The many gay people that I know are fine human beings that don't fit into your ridiculous stereotypical views of them. They're much finer people than you appear to be.
I commend your self control. Such a disturbing and hateful intolerant post deserves considerable rebuke.

Azrael Antilla

I was reading an article a while back of a true story whereas a woman in Sweden called the police and complain about her neighbor that was naked in his own house. The officer that took the call responded by asking her why she was continuing to look if it offended her?
It's essentially all about self loathing projected onto those souls brave enough to express themselves. It's pathetic, it's evil. It's personal weakness expressed. I absolutely can't stand people telling other people how to lead their lives. Makes my blood pressure increase significantly. How dare they?

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It's essentially all about self loathing projected onto those souls brave enough to express themselves. It's pathetic, it's evil. It's personal weakness expressed.
I somewhat agree, but I think it's also about the issue of "conformity". There's so many people in this world who take the "my way or the highway" approach.

OTOH, all societies need at least some rules, no doubt.