• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did God create homosexuality?

Howlstan

The Bible states that if a man lies with another man they should both be stoned to death. It's my belief that homosexuals are born that way and have no choice over who they're attracted to just like a heterosexual. If this is true why would God create homosexuals when he seems so opposed to their nature? I believe in the God of the Old Testament and believe that he is righteous but I'm confused by this. Did God create homosexuals purely to destroy them or is there something else going on? Does he want a homosexual man to be celibate or to go against his nature and procreate with a woman? Is God offering him the chance to make a huge sacrifice to the highest by denying himself? What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The Bible states that if a man lies with another man they should both be stoned to death. It's my belief that homosexuals are born that way and have no choice over who they're attracted to just like a heterosexual. If this is true why would God create homosexuals when he seems so opposed to their nature? I believe in the God of the Old Testament and believe that he is righteous but I'm confused by this. Did God create homosexuals purely to destroy them or is there something else going on? Does he want a homosexual man to be celibate or to go against his nature and procreate with a women? Is God offering him the chance to make a huge sacrifice to the highest by denying himself? What are your thoughts?

He didn't create homosexuals. He created humans to have various degrees of physiological, biological, and psychological attraction to other people. The labels homosexual, heterosexual, and bisexual just refers to the sex of the other person one is attracted to. It's a label that references both sex attraction in relation to each other, nothing more. The bible doesn't talk about sexual orientation (to whom one's attraction is oriented). It talks about actions (without reference to who is attracted to who and the nature thereof).

The Church says homosexuals should be celibate. The bible doesn't mention this.

Christian homosexuals (heterosexuals and bisexuals) do not need to make a sacrifice because of their attractions. The sex of the other person doesn't make one person's attraction more normal than the other. The christian god focuses on what people Do. So if you're gay, straight, bisexual and be with someone of the same sex that's a no-no. Sexual orientation (homo/hetero/bi) have nothing to do with it.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
First, welcome to RF @Howlstan

Given that same sex attraction is present throughout the animal kingdom, it's no surprise that it exists in humans as well as something quite natural.

If you're looking for reasons, from my reincarnation belief, there could be a number of reasons. A big possibility to me is that the soul spends quite a few lives in one gender and then switches to the other gender in the current life. Because of the prior history, the soul maintains its attraction to formerly opposite and now same gender people for a life or two.

Howlstan

He didn't create homosexuals. He created humans to have various degrees of physiological, biological, and psychological attraction to other people. The labels homosexual, heterosexual, and bisexual just refers to the sex of the other person one is attracted to. It's a label that references both sex attraction in relation to each other, nothing more. The bible doesn't talk about sexual orientation (to whom one's attraction is oriented). It talks about actions (without reference to who is attracted to who and the nature thereof).

The Church says homosexuals should be celibate. The bible doesn't mention this.

Christian homosexuals (heterosexuals and bisexuals) do not need to make a sacrifice because of their attractions. The sex of the other person doesn't make one person's attraction more normal than the other. The christian god focuses on what people Do. So if you're gay, straight, bisexual and be with someone of the same sex that's a no-no. Sexual orientation (homo/hetero/bi) have nothing to do with it.

Ok then, why would God create a sexual feeling in someone when it's forbidden to act on that impulse? I believe that men who are attracted to other men were born with those impulses inherent in them. I believe that God created these men to feel this way as God creates everything in the natural world. Why would he do this when the consequences if they act upon their feelings are so severe? To reach God involves sacrifice. Maybe this is why he created these feelings? It's the only explanation I can come up with but I'm open to other interpretations.

Suave

Simulated character
The Bible states that if a man lies with another man they should both be stoned to death. It's my belief that homosexuals are born that way and have no choice over who they're attracted to just like a heterosexual. If this is true why would God create homosexuals when he seems so opposed to their nature? I believe in the God of the Old Testament and believe that he is righteous but I'm confused by this. Did God create homosexuals purely to destroy them or is there something else going on? Does he want a homosexual man to be celibate or to go against his nature and procreate with a women? Is God offering him the chance to make a huge sacrifice to the highest by denying himself? What are your thoughts?

Be fruitful and multiply might have been considered a blessing for humankind before the population became overpopulated. Okay...I realize homosexuals can father children, but I suspect they do reproduce fewer offspring than the amount of offspring reproduced by heterosexuals. I would consider fewer offspring being reproduced as an ideal solution to solving our world's overpopulation. Hence, God might have objected to homosexuality when the world was underpopulated, but now morally accepts homosexuality as the world has become overpopulated.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Ok then, why would God create a sexual feeling in someone when it's forbidden to act on that impulse? I believe that men who are attracted to other men were born with those impulses inherent in them. I believe that God created these men to feel this way as God creates everything in the natural world. Why would he do this when the consequences if they act upon their feelings are so severe? To reach God involves sacrifice. Maybe this is why he created these feelings? It's the only explanation I can come up with but I'm open to other interpretations.
I dont believe God would do that.

There is no evidence that the Bible is true in my opinion.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I'm not sure why our bodies, minds, and emotions respond to different people based on their sex in general. I know limitations in what people do sexually more than reproduction. I see it has a lot to do with tradition. Not all attraction means intentional lust. But I honestly don't know what god things just what I know from scripture and just what makes sense based on that. Most I disagree with but then that's just me.

Lain

It's my belief that homosexuals are born that way and have no choice over who they're attracted to just like a heterosexual. If this is true why would God create homosexuals when he seems so opposed to their nature? What are your thoughts?

It is not my belief that they are born this way, and I don't really like the terminology "homosexual" or "heterosexual" at all for various reasons. So really I just would say, as my answer to the title question, "He didn't."

Suave

Simulated character
First, welcome to RF @Howlstan

Given that same sex attraction is present throughout the animal kingdom, it's no surprise that it exists in humans as well as something quite natural.

If you're looking for reasons, from my reincarnation belief, there could be a number of reasons. A big possibility to me is that the soul spends quite a few lives in one gender and then switches to the other gender in the current life. Because of the prior history, the soul maintains its attraction to formerly opposite and now same gender people for a life or two.
If the number of living beings in our universe are growing, how does the notion of reincarnation reconcile the greater amount of current living beings with the lesser amount of past lives from whom reincarnated beings now could have existed from before when there were fewer beings who lived previously than the number of currently living beings?

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

To be honest, when I hear this question I think why do people believe homosexuality doesn't exist or exist based on a humans biological response to other humans.

It's like saying hunger itself doesn't exist if one craves apples but it exists when one sees an orange. Or saying God created hunger for only one type of fruit but that same exact reaction to other fruits either or wrong or non existent.

It assumes the object if attraction determines the nature of the attraction and whether it exists or not.

Say you have a couple with two children. Their children are healthy and emotionally supported. There is no sexual inappropriateness and the family is Christian.

What about this scenario God doesn't like if the same analogy applied to one couple and not another?

It makes me sad, really. The object if attraction has so much influence that it can determine whether the other is a sinner or not.

I'm not sure how that works. No Christian has explained it without scripture quoting.

Laika

Premium Member
The Bible states that if a man lies with another man they should both be stoned to death. It's my belief that homosexuals are born that way and have no choice over who they're attracted to just like a heterosexual. If this is true why would God create homosexuals when he seems so opposed to their nature? I believe in the God of the Old Testament and believe that he is righteous but I'm confused by this. Did God create homosexuals purely to destroy them or is there something else going on? Does he want a homosexual man to be celibate or to go against his nature and procreate with a woman? Is God offering him the chance to make a huge sacrifice to the highest by denying himself? What are your thoughts?

Hey Howlstan. Welcome to ReligiousForums.com! I hope you have a great time here. :)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Ok then, why would God create a sexual feeling in someone when it's forbidden to act on that impulse?
I do not believe that God creates any sexual feelings.
God created humans with two natures, a physical nature and a spiritual nature

THE TWO NATURES IN MAN

God gave humans free will so we can choose between our two natures.

Sex is part of our physical nature, so we can choose to follow that part of our nature or we can choose to follow our spiritual nature.

Last edited:

Firelight

Inactive member
Be fruitful and multiply might have been considered a blessing for humankind before the population became overpopulated. Okay...I realize homosexuals can father children, but I suspect they do reproduce fewer offspring than the amount of offspring reproduced by heterosexuals. I would consider fewer offspring being reproduced as an ideal solution to solving our world's overpopulation. Hence, God might have objected to homosexuality when the world was underpopulated, but now morally accepts homosexuality as the world has become overpopulated.

Where is the world overpopulated? Why do you make such a claim?

Suave

Simulated character
Where is the world overpopulated? Why do you make such a claim?

Is the Earth really overpopulated?

According to the Overpopulation Project,

"Yes, for two main reasons. First, people are rapidly displacing wildlife species across the globe, initiating a mass extinction event. Second, we are degrading ecosystems that provide essential, irreplaceable environmental services that future generations will need to live decent lives. Both these trends are driven, in large part, by immense and unprecedented numbers of human beings. Because there are too many of us to share the Earth fairly with other species and with future human generations, Earth is overpopulated."

https://overpopulation-project.com/are-we-overpopulated-already/

Below is a map of nations showing each of their population densities:

tumblr_oyahomFOWu1rasnq9o1_640.png

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_dependencies_by_population_density

China is overpopulated as evident by the nation's implementation of laws limiting the number of offspring parents are allowed to procreate. Over 40 nations have higher population densities than China.

I'm curious to know why the Earth should not be considered as being overpopulated by humans?

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
As has been said by others, homosexuality appears to be quite widespread in non-humans, and if one has a reasonable view that humans have evolved as much as all other life then there is the possibility for such to happen quite naturally, since nature doesn't seem to work like clockwork and in some binary fashion - that is, that everything is one thing or another - male or female.

One only has to look at the oddities that nature throws up - and not so rare actually - like a two headed turtle, for example amongst so many other instances. So why would we expect such black and white examples in humans - if one didn't have such reliance on some religious text, that is? Why not just accept that there is such variation in humans and live with it, just as they have to live with such.

A Rare Two-headed, Six-legged Turtle is Alive and Kicking, Surprising Scientists (news18.com)

exchemist

Veteran Member
In my view, "the bible states" is a lousy starting point.

One can snip all manner of "statements" out of passages in the bible, some of which contradict statements made, or sentiments expressed, elsewhere. This practice is known as "quote-mining" and leads rapidly to absurdities, contradictions and dead ends. The bible is not a list of laws, any more than it is a science textbook. It has to be read holistically, and with an awareness of history and culture, in order to interpret its messages.

I find it ridiculous that so many fundies hang so much on one verse in Leviticus. Christ himself had nothing whatsoever to say on the subject of homosexuality - and there is in fact a rather lovely story in St John's gospel about Him getting a stoning for adultery called off, by shaming those involved.

What these fundies are doing, in my opinion, is quote-mining to justify prejudices that they already hold.

Firelight

Inactive member

I don’t believe homosexuals are born that way or that God creates them to be that way. I believe that through the process of human development and life experiences, same sex attraction/homosexuality can develop in a person.

From the moment we are born, we begin bonding with the people around us. We build relationships and learn who to trust. Our thoughts, feelings, likes and dislikes develop. We have a variety of experiences from the time we are born and throughout childhood that have influenced and shaped our thoughts, feelings, and actions. It’s definitely possible that some people could develop same sex attraction at some point during their younger developing lives, or later.

God commands everyone, including homosexuals, to control their sexual impulses and live moral lives. Yes, a homosexual would need to live a celibate life or choose to marry the opposite sex. You would need to work that out with him as to which one you choose. Yes, God expects us to sacrifice, overcome, and give up whatever is in our physical natures that is keeping us from following his teachings.

Firelight

Inactive member
I'm curious to know why the Earth should not be considered as being overpopulated by humans?

Most of the land is peach-colored on the map.

The anti-God over-populationists have been around for over 100 years. What’s the point? They can’t stop it. They all going to die anyway, so why do they care?

Regardless, we all keep going and are doing great!