• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did god create a material world

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
In all major religions, he is. Whether you agree/disagree is not the point of this thread. So let's not digress.

Oh, well I didn't realize you followed a major religion. It seemed a bit more open ended than that. Which one do you follow, again? Your tag is absent.

Chisti

Oh, well I didn't realize you followed a major religion. It seemed a bit more open ended than that. Which one do you follow, again? Your tag is absent.

I don't. But as I said earlier, the point of this thread is not whether God is spirit. We are taking that for granted for the purpose of exploring further.

GodlessAtheist

Instead of a spiritual one?

This question is only for theists who believe that god created the world. Why would god, being spirit, create a material world? Could he not have created a spiritual world? I can understand a material entity making material things, but god being spirit ... why would he bother creating anything other than spiritual entities?

He didn`t create a material world, nor did he create a spiritual one, because your imaginary friend isn`t real.

chinu

chinu

This question is only for theists who believe that god created the world. Why would god, being spirit, create a material world? Could he not have created a spiritual world? I can understand a material entity making material things, but god being spirit ... why would he bother creating anything other than spiritual entities?

LIKE.. Animations in the video game appear as soild substance for other fellow animations in the game, Such as they can touch each other.. they can hit each other.. But all these animations always are in quantum foam, and as well as soild foam, in front of the game creator/animator.

Similary.. the whole creation including humans is an animation, which appear as solid subtance for each other, But.. always lies in the quantum foam, and as well as soild foam in front of the creator/animator/God. :)

dust1n

Zindīq
I love when people try to utilize quantum physics in their religious beliefs and entirely bastardize the original concept.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
I don't. But as I said earlier, the point of this thread is not whether God is spirit. We are taking that for granted for the purpose of exploring further.

Interesting. This isn't the only thing you expect me to assume for the purpose of the question. I picked it out because it solves the problem right away. But I guess you aren't interested in solving the problem. Watch this:

I must assume god is spirit.
I must assume god the spirit would have favored a spiritual world.
I must assume nothing about the material is spiritual.
I must assume nothing about the spiritual is material.
I must assume that despite all of the previous assumptions, god the spirit has created a material world, anyway.

Then I must come up with a reason for god the spirit to have done exactly what I've assumed he shouldn't have done.

This corner you've painted me in doesn't seem very comfortable. Where exactly is this 'further exploration' going to happen? I'm basically forced to assume god makes irrational decisions and then explain how an irrational decision can happen. Which is pretty much impossible.

If you remove the quality of 'just a spirit' from god, then the question becomes answerable. Actually, if you remove any of these assumptions, it becomes a rational question again. So why did you put so many in there? I can venture a guess, but I think you won't like it.

How do you know this isn't a spiritual world? If everything were made out of spirit "stuff" how would we be able to tell? Perhaps this is all in gods imagination and doesn't really exist at all. Personally, I think we are all in the matrix.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

God created multiple levels to this universe. To call one level material and the rest a 'spiritual world' is just our misperception. The levels are all part of one system with increasing levels of density.

God created all the levels and the goal and joy is in evolving from the densest level through the progressively less dense levels to the realm of pure spirit.