• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Black Panther is a litmus test for society.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Well they are Trolls for a reason. And a lot of people throughout the world are racist and will have such comments on every such damn thing. Why bother with these?

Fox News bought into it and had to retract it on Twitter from what I heard during this time. People bought into it, believed it but then when it was retracted people still made an excuse to still believe in this nonsense. Why talk about it? Because it is still a problem. It is problematic that Black Panther, a comic book is still reveled by its "black cast" as opposed to being acknowledged for its story line. I already posted an article by Psychology Today about the significance of why racism exists, and why being color blind is a problem. People think problems go away by not talking about it and people do not wish to confront the reality that this exist. You don't have to indulge in this topic and I'd happily acknowledge your exit on this matter, but it is important because this film and the those that have observed it, have made it about race.

It is a shame that Africans and African-Americans have to take an observant pride in a fictional movie that is positively attrbituted to those of African ancestry. Do you not see a problem with that? Do you not see a problem with African-Americans dressing up in African attire who has never stepped foot in Africa nor know not one damn tribe even on the western part of Africa just to go to a movie? The fact that we in the African-American and African community have been energized by such a positive film is symptomatic of the racism that exists in film. It is because of race in the media that people internationally have a pre-conceived notion about blacks/Africans/African-Americans. This is why Indians (as you and I have discussed earlier) have negative perceptions about blacks despite being of the same pigment, all because of colonial presentations of Africans and African-Americans. Race does matter because when I travel some isolated communities and what they see in the media in looking at me in relation to that is reality.

I once dated an Egyptian Arab girl who was Muslim long time ago and the only perceptions she had of me and my culture was through media. That was their only way of knowing African-American culture when she came to the states. The issue is bigger than what you think.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Fox News bought into it and had to retract it on Twitter from what I heard during this time. People bought into it, believed it but then when it was retracted people still made an excuse to still believe in this nonsense. Why talk about it? Because it is still a problem. It is problematic that Black Panther, a comic book is still reveled by its "black cast" as opposed to being acknowledged for its story line. I already posted an article by Psychology Today about the significance of why racism exists, and why being color blind is a problem. People think problems go away by not talking about it and people do not wish to confront the reality that this exist. You don't have to indulge in this topic and I'd happily acknowledge your exit on this matter, but it is important because this film and the those that have observed it, have made it about race.

It is a shame that Africans and African-Americans have to take an observant pride in a fictional movie that is positively attrbituted to those of African ancestry. Do you not see a problem with that? Do you not see a problem with African-Americans dressing up in African attire who has never stepped foot in Africa nor know not one damn tribe even on the western part of Africa just to go to a movie? The fact that we in the African-American and African community have been energized by such a positive film is symptomatic of the racism that exists in film. It is because of race in the media that people internationally have a pre-conceived notion about blacks/Africans/African-Americans. This is why Indians (as you and I have discussed earlier) have negative perceptions about blacks despite being of the same pigment, all because of colonial presentations of Africans and African-Americans. Race does matter when I travel because some isolated communities and what they see in the media in their eyes is reality.
Yes, it does matter. Just think it is more constructive to speak about actual cases of abuse, victimization, discrimination etc. than focusing on comments made on the internet about a movie. I am objecting to your characterization of Black Panther as a litmus test for society.
In general, all Asian countries have significantly racist tendencies. An Indian can get targeted in China, Korea or Japan... while a Chinese or even a North Easterner often get targeted in Indian mainland. Anybody and everybody who looks sufficiently different (in color or attire) is a potential victim in any of these regions. That is the real problem, not Black Panther movie.
Japan's foreign residents offer up insights in unprecedented survey on discrimination | The Japan Times

Phantasman

There is no such thing as blind to skin pigmentation....This is beyond skin pigmentation.

"White people, who are unlikely to experience disadvantages due to race, can effectively ignore racism in American life, justify the current social order, and feel more comfortable with their relatively privileged standing in society (Fryberg, 2010)."

Colorblind Ideology Is a Form of Racism

To deny my pain in it of itself contributes to the social ills of community problems

When race-related problems arise, colorblindness tends to individualize conflicts and shortcomings, rather than examining the larger picture with cultural differences, stereotypes, and values placed into context. Instead of resulting from an enlightened (albeit well-meaning) position, colorblindness comes from a lack of awareness of racial privilege conferred by Whiteness (Tarca, 2005). White people can guiltlessly subscribe to colorblindness because they are usually unaware of how race affects people of color and American society as a whole.

You've got some serious issues beyond my intellect.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Yes, it does matter. Just think it is more constructive to speak about actual cases of abuse, victimization, discrimination etc. than focusing on comments made on the internet about a movie. I am objecting to your characterization of Black Panther as a litmus test for society.
In general, all Asian countries have significantly racist tendencies. An Indian can get targeted in China, Korea or Japan... while a Chinese or even a North Easterner often get targeted in Indian mainland. Anybody and everybody who looks sufficiently different (in color or attire) is a potential victim in any of these regions. That is the real problem, not Black Panther movie.
Japan's foreign residents offer up insights in unprecedented survey on discrimination | The Japan Times

The mentioning of comments is symptomatic of what exist outside the internet. I don't understand how you don't see that. You're like racism is everyone so what mentality.It matters because people that want job opportunities abroad or academic opportunities abroad are affected. The reactions to the film are apparent. I think you want to overlook it by denying the problems that exist today.

Here's What Morgan Freeman Had To Say About Racism, And Here's A Guy Explaining What He Got Wrong

Remember I'm saying the comments are SYMPTOMATIC TO WHAT EXIST TODAY ON A BROADER LEVEL. Sometimes I think with these discussions I think you guys would get it more if this was happening in person.

This is what Sandra Bullock said about the film:

“I started to cry backstage when I was telling [the cast of “Black Panther”] how much the film meant to me as a woman, but how much it meant to me as a mother,” Bullock said in a red carpet interview with "Access Hollywood."

And for children of color this type of visibility is long overdue.
Children of color are still underrepresented when it comes to toys, books, TV shows, apps, and games. Finding entertainment options with visible, dynamic, leading characters of color requires a little extra time, patience, or in some cases, getting creative.

Bullock is the mother of two black children, Louis, 8, and Laila, 5, through adoption. The movie’s all-black cast, dynamic female characters, and Afro-futuristic setting are a refreshing change of pace for adult filmgoers. But for children, particularly children of color, seeing a black king, and the intelligent, fierce black women leaders is downright inspiring.

See:How 'Black Panther' changed everything for Sandra Bullock and her kids.

So do you not understand how sad that is? Stop looking at just the opinions of what I wrote down about the Chinese and read the damn entire post! You're intellect is very tunnel vision-like because you're focusing on specifics...

Last edited:

Curious George

Veteran Member
After posting 1 billion dollars at the box office and the reactions I see that black panther the movie has a lot of personal opinions of an all black cast. It is interesting yet sad.
Hollywood Has No Business Case for Booking All-White Casts

I agree that it is sad that a hugely successful movie with an primarily black cast is both used to create divide when movies of an all white are not. However, I think that it is more related to the novelty of it. Few films have enjoyed the success that Black Panther has and it is a notable departure from the norm.

While I agree that the sentiments depicted in your links underscore a still needed acceptance along racial lines, I think that it is a necessary but unfortunate step to get to where we want to be.

If Black Panther was accepted as a great movie and solely judged on plot, cinematography, mis-en-scene etc then it would be fantastic. In order for such a situation to exist the primarily black cast would need to be not noteworthy.

This is not the case. Major box office hits with very few white to no white roles are too few and far in between. People do see skin color, despite there assertions otherwise. Consequently, Black Panther, with its success, and movies like it can not be only about the movie at this time.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Hollywood Has No Business Case for Booking All-White Casts

I agree that it is sad that a hugely successful movie with an primarily black cast is both used to create divide when movies of an all white are not. However, I think that it is more related to the novelty of it. Few films have enjoyed the success that Black Panther has and it is a notable departure from the norm.

While I agree that the sentiments depicted in your links underscore a still needed acceptance along racial lines, I think that it is a necessary but unfortunate step to get to where we want to be.

If Black Panther was accepted as a great movie and solely judged on plot, cinematography, mis-en-scene etc then it would be fantastic. In order for such a situation to exist the primarily black cast would need to be not noteworthy.

This is not the case. Major box office hits with very few white to no white roles are too few and far in between. People do see skin color, despite there assertions otherwise. Consequently, Black Panther, with its success, and movies like it can not be only about the movie at this time.

This is a very damn good response! I agree

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
After posting 1 billion dollars at the box office and the reactions I see that black panther the movie has a lot of personal opinions of an all black cast. It is interesting yet sad.

Good thing we're now living in a post-racial society! Otherwise, some folks might have silly reactions to an all Black cast. Yup, good to be alive in a post-racial society!

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The mentioning of comments is symptomatic of what exist outside the internet. I don't understand how you don't see that. You're like racism is everyone so what mentality.It matters because people that want job opportunities abroad or academic opportunities abroad are affected. The reactions to the film are apparent. I think you want to overlook it by denying the problems that exist today.

Here's What Morgan Freeman Had To Say About Racism, And Here's A Guy Explaining What He Got Wrong

Remember I'm saying the comments are SYMPTOMATIC TO WHAT EXIST TODAY ON A BROADER LEVEL. Sometimes I think with these discussions I think you guys would get it more if this was happening in person.

This is what Sandra Bullock said about the film:

“I started to cry backstage when I was telling [the cast of “Black Panther”] how much the film meant to me as a woman, but how much it meant to me as a mother,” Bullock said in a red carpet interview with "Access Hollywood."

And for children of color this type of visibility is long overdue.
Children of color are still underrepresented when it comes to toys, books, TV shows, apps, and games. Finding entertainment options with visible, dynamic, leading characters of color requires a little extra time, patience, or in some cases, getting creative.

Bullock is the mother of two black children, Louis, 8, and Laila, 5, through adoption. The movie’s all-black cast, dynamic female characters, and Afro-futuristic setting are a refreshing change of pace for adult filmgoers. But for children, particularly children of color, seeing a black king, and the intelligent, fierce black women leaders is downright inspiring.

See:How 'Black Panther' changed everything for Sandra Bullock and her kids.

So do you not understand how sad that is? Stop looking at just the opinions of what I wrote down about the Chinese and read the damn entire post! You're intellect is very tunnel vision-like because you're focusing on specifics...
So... how did you construe my claim of large amounts of racism in Asian countries with explicit link to an official survey in Japan as a denial of the problem of racism?!
What Black Panther shows is that good popcorn worthy sci-fi movies are a hit worldwide regardless of cast. Which is good news as far as minority actors in Hollywood goes. That's kind of it. It does not solve the racism problem (just as Obama didn't) , nor does it reveal any new dimension to this well known and serious problem that exists worldwide in many cultures against all ethnic minorities. That is why I objected to it being a litmus test of any sort.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
So... how did you construe my claim of large amounts of racism in Asian countries with explicit link to an official survey in Japan as a denial of the problem of racism?!
What Black Panther shows is that good popcorn worthy sci-fi movies are a hit worldwide regardless of cast. Which is good news as far as minority actors in Hollywood goes. That's kind of it. It does not solve the racism problem (just as Obama didn't) , nor does it reveal any new dimension to this well known and serious problem that exists worldwide in many cultures against all ethnic minorities. That is why I objected to it being a litmus test of any sort.

The litmus test is testing the idea as Sunstone mentioned that we live in a
"post-racial society."

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
If you say so. I assume there is some sarcasm included.

So a mostly Black cast does well in America. We have had a Black President elected. Seems to me a majority of folks are moving past racial prejudice.

I remember Blade, Shaft, Lilies of the Field, To Sir With Love. These were all shows I enjoyed.

Barack Obama effigy with "pray for assassin" in Alabama community

Quran-burning pastor hangs Obama effigy outside church - theGrio

Ky. man defends racist roadside Obama effigy

Kansas student apologizes for blackface photo, using racial slur

Is Brazil the new home of blackface? What’s driving an apparent fascination with wearing this makeup?

You sure?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I keep telling people here on RF but nobody believes me, even here on such a diverse website people subconsciously have racial bias' and negative perceptions of blacks here and not know it. There have been research studies on this....

"Most of these implicit racial biases are consequence of subtle messages seen in the media, popular culture, that suggest one group is good, and another group is bad-- associating one group with crime, another group with accomplishment,” Rich Morin, senior editor at Pew, told NBC News."

Study Reveals Americans' Subconscious Racial Biases

You said: And yes, there are still racist jerks in America. So what?

In my encounters both online and offline I find it a large portion of whites (and those among people of color who accept "white standard of living") tend to think....So what? Like Morgan Freeman when he famously said to "stop talking about it." You say so what because it does not affect you. This is not to say I'm personally hinderd from anything however everywhere I go and the opportunities I could potentially have internationally can be affected by the social perceptions that exist about those of my skin complexion so it does matter. It doesn't matter to you because you're of the unaffected group.

Yes, I know there is still racism. In fact I was listening to a rather fascinating talk on NPR about "implicit bias". Here is a link to a blurb about the show. You can follow the links to the podcast if you wish:

The Mind Of The Village: Understanding Our Implicit Biases

And I can find examples of African Americans that are just about as bad as the losers that made false reports, they too are far out of the norm. That is why I said "so what". Dealing with the problems of implicit bias are more important than dealing with a few losers.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Yes, I know there is still racism. In fact I was listening to a rather fascinating talk on NPR about "implicit bias". Here is a link to a blurb about the show. You can follow the links to the podcast if you wish:

The Mind Of The Village: Understanding Our Implicit Biases

And I can find examples of African Americans that are just about as bad, they too are far out of the norm. That is why I said "so what". Dealing with the problems of implicit bias are more important than dealing with a few losers.
It is true that one can find instances of racism towards "whites," but the existence of such does nothing to distinguish between degree, mode, prevalence, and power.

I do not find the "see, black people do it too, so it's even" a convincing argument.