• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Black Panther is a litmus test for society.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Amazing, apparently China is racist against blacks but not against whites. Does that make any sense at all? And yes, there are still racist jerks in America. So what? One can always find jerks in any large enough group. Social media allows such lies to spread quickly, but please note that they were also shut down in rather short order.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So a mostly Black cast does well in America. We have had a Black President elected. Seems to me a majority of folks are moving past racial prejudice.
The real test of prejudice will come when a big budget movie with a mostly black cast completely bombs... but they keep making big budget movies with mostly black casts anyway.

Bob the Unbeliever

I haven't seen it-- yet. I love Marvel Studios movies, because they are typically good Escape/Fantasy material. (and THANK YOU for no spoilers!)

The good guys are always flawed in some non-fatal way, but usually triumph in the end against the bad guys.

And the bad guys? Rarely too sympathetic, so that when they get their comeuppance? You don't feel too badly for them.

Good old Storytelling, IMO.

Of course-- you have to completely ignore all the physics... and biology too... in fact, just ignore any and all actual science-- there ain't any, in Marvel's Universe. :p

Stanyon

WWMRD?

As to the Chinese story, squint your eyes and look at a dark screen for two hours and then you might understand. As to the twitter trolls they were probably just Russian linked troll farm accounts attempting to cause division in U.S. society and not real racists, thank God Twitter censorship was there to save us all!

A Vestigial Mote

don't you see that it is not just a movie about a comic book creation but an epic document about the struggle of black people against the white Devil slave masters? you must be a racist
This is actually a completely misinformed sentiment my father made me aware of when he asked me about the movie. Asked if I saw it - I said "yes." Asked if it was any good, I said "yes." Asked if it was politically motivated, to which I had to reply "yes." Then he started in with this "I knew it" air about him... and I had to have him stop and back up a bit.

I told him the movie basically has two noteworthy white characters in it, and is otherwise exclusively about the politics between the various groups of black people who inhabit the Black Panther universe. There was not a single moment in it condemning "white people" that I can recall. Not one.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Seems the US is among the top countries when it comes to racial tolerance.

imrs.php

A fascinating map of the world’s most and least racially tolerant countries

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Am I the only one alive that usually detests comic based movies? The vast majority are garbage.

RE: The Op. Meh, what @9-10ths_Penguin said. Let one big budget movie fall on its face and see what happens. Then we can talk. :) Plus the OP conveniently ignores the great work of Spike Lee and his massive contribution to giving Black actors a chance in the spotlight. He is truly a great director.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Amazing, apparently China is racist against blacks but not against whites. Does that make any sense at all? And yes, there are still racist jerks in America. So what? One can always find jerks in any large enough group. Social media allows such lies to spread quickly, but please note that they were also shut down in rather short order.

I keep telling people here on RF but nobody believes me, even here on such a diverse website people subconsciously have racial bias' and negative perceptions of blacks here and not know it. There have been research studies on this....

"Most of these implicit racial biases are consequence of subtle messages seen in the media, popular culture, that suggest one group is good, and another group is bad-- associating one group with crime, another group with accomplishment,” Rich Morin, senior editor at Pew, told NBC News."

Study Reveals Americans' Subconscious Racial Biases

You said: And yes, there are still racist jerks in America. So what?

In my encounters both online and offline I find it a large portion of whites (and those among people of color who accept "white standard of living") tend to think....So what? Like Morgan Freeman when he famously said to "stop talking about it." You say so what because it does not affect you. This is not to say I'm personally hinderd from anything however everywhere I go and the opportunities I could potentially have internationally can be affected by the social perceptions that exist about those of my skin complexion so it does matter. It doesn't matter to you because you're of the unaffected group.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
As to the Chinese story, squint your eyes and look at a dark screen for two hours and then you might understand. As to the twitter trolls they were probably just Russian linked troll farm accounts attempting to cause division in U.S. society and not real racists, thank God Twitter censorship was there to save us all!

That has to be a stupidest reason (the above bold)......Why was it not hard for Americans but for Chinese? Why was it not hard for people who saw it elsewhere internationally but for the Chinese? Choose your words carefully.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I am blind to what I choose to be blind to. Skin color is one. A stupid society another.

There is no such thing as blind to skin pigmentation....This is beyond skin pigmentation.

"White people, who are unlikely to experience disadvantages due to race, can effectively ignore racism in American life, justify the current social order, and feel more comfortable with their relatively privileged standing in society (Fryberg, 2010)."

Colorblind Ideology Is a Form of Racism

To deny my pain in it of itself contributes to the social ills of community problems

When race-related problems arise, colorblindness tends to individualize conflicts and shortcomings, rather than examining the larger picture with cultural differences, stereotypes, and values placed into context. Instead of resulting from an enlightened (albeit well-meaning) position, colorblindness comes from a lack of awareness of racial privilege conferred by Whiteness (Tarca, 2005). White people can guiltlessly subscribe to colorblindness because they are usually unaware of how race affects people of color and American society as a whole.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Am I the only one alive that usually detests comic based movies? The vast majority are garbage.
You might be afflicted with too much S&M (sophistication & maturity).
Lacking that problem, I can enjoy about 50% of super hero movies.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
The answer to those who ingorantly like to quote Morgan Freeman..

Ah the irony when those who like to choose an outlier like Freeman so they are not confronted with the ills of racism and especially racial perceptions in film. Too bad Freeman is alone and the likes of the film giants like Denzel Washington, Sidney Poitier says otherwise regarding blacks in film.

When I see people quote Freeman it is just as other research scientists have denoted....To get someone of said demographic they want to point out members of said demographic to confirm their own biases so they are not confronted with the realization of the exists of racial biases especially in film.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
There is no such thing as blind to skin pigmentation....This is beyond skin pigmentation.

"White people, who are unlikely to experience disadvantages due to race, can effectively ignore racism in American life, justify the current social order, and feel more comfortable with their relatively privileged standing in society (Fryberg, 2010)."

To deny my pain in it of itself contributes to the social ills of community problems
Though it has it's downsides, I much prefer multiculturalism, to that of colour blindness.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Though it has it's downsides, I much prefer multiculturalism, to that of colour blindness.

That is not the point...Point is according to Psychology Today, the "I'm color blind" model is used to deny the others experience so that the person can exist in the comfort of their own ignorance.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
That is not the point...Point is according to Psychology Today, the "I'm color blind" model is used to deny the others experience so that the person can exist in the comfort of their own ignorance.
Thank you for stating the obvious for those in the cheap seats. :D