• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why ask for proof and evidence?

Walkntune

You say that as if you think we have a mind other than our "carnal mind"; what would make you think that this is the case?
We can think witht the right or the left which Makes be think we are not our mind but can choose between the two.How else could there be confusion in a person?Who is the I that decides?

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
We can think witht the right or the left which Makes be thinks we are not our mind but can chosse between the two.How else could there be confusion in a person?
Again: what does this even mean?

I took "carnal mind" to be our bodily, literally "fleshly" mind. If you mean something else, then it might help for you to explain it.

Erebus

Asking for proof and/or evidence is reasonable enough in day to day life. If somebody wants me to take medication I want there to have been plenty of evidence it works beforehand.
On RF it's sometimes a different matter. Sometimes it's warranted and done in a reasonable way. Other times it's simply used as a lazy way to beat somebody down.

Basically if you're the type of person who's willing to sell your religion to others it's only reasonable for people to ask "why?" On the other hand, if you're the sort of person who is willing to demand proof or evidence of divinity from those who don't expect you to follow their religion I strongly suggest you get out there and look for it yourself :)

Walkntune

Again: what does this even mean?

I took "carnal mind" to be our bodily, literally "fleshly" mind. If you mean something else, then it might help for you to explain it.
I can't argue or debate how the mind works with you.In my opinion scientific studies are backwards. It will argue that a chemical imbalance will cause wrong thinking. My argument would be that wrong negative thinking over time actually causes a chemical imbalance.Science can only see the the phyiscal manifestation of the chemical imbalance and come to conclusions(the one most favorable of the almighty dollar) but which one is cause and effect is two different realities.
My opinion of the mind is that we can either be left brained(analitical) or right brained(emotional,spiritual) and we create an ego(false self) as we allow a separation between the two.When we become one (let go of the ego)then the separation is gone (right and left brain function together in harmony)and we are our true being as we were created one with ourselves and God.

Last edited:

Photonic

Ad astra!
I can't argue or debate how the mind works with you.In my opinion scientific studies are backwards. It will argue that a chemical imbalance will cause wrong thinking. My argument would be that wrong negative thinking over time actually causes a chemical imbalance.Science can only see the the phyiscal manifestation of the chemical imbalance and come to conclusions(the one most favorable of the almighty dollar) but which one is cause and effect is two different realities.
My opinion of the mind is that we can either be left brained(analitical) or right brained(emotional,spiritual) and we create an ego(false self) as we allow a separation between the two.When we become one (let go of the ego)then the separation is gone (right and left brain function together in harmony)and we are our true being as we were created one with ourselves and God.

Sounds like you don't base much of your argument in reality.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
You place no constraints upon what constitutes 'proof' or 'evidence'?

Not at all. What constitutes good proof or evidence depends on the nature of the question being asked, why the question is being asked, and how the answer to that question is going to be applied.

When working within my field (science), I obviously adhere to the requirements of evidence for the purposes of scientific investigation. That means evidence is limited to something that can be measured and quantified, and proof involves testing these measurements for statistical significance. It is foolish to apply this test to all sorts of questions, both because to do so in some situations is absurd and because certain ideas and concepts transcend quantification.

When working with religious/spiritual questions, a broader range of things can constitute as evidence or proof. Personal experience is a significant one. I don't ask that others accept my personal experiences as evidence for something or believe in anything I arrive at due to those experiences, but I do like to expect some basic level of respect. Simple logic is another, and also something I don't expect others to accept because inevitably, all logical arguments rest upon premises that can be disputed. Others use the authority of a sacred text or religious leaders. I don't, but for those that do, go for it. That's your evidence; that's your proof.

If you choose to find the divine, you will find it. If you choose not to, then you won't. It's a matter of how your worldview is constructed. Being fundamentally agnostic on all questions of knowledge, I'm not the sort to claim anything as "The Ultimate Truth" or some such nonsense. Each must find their own path that offers meaning and purpose in their lives.

Hawkins

We humans are creatures of faith.

So, if I say that your mother is not actually your mother, will you go for a DNA check?!

Normally you won't, as you have faith!

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
We humans are creatures of faith.

So, if I say that your mother is not actually your mother, will you go for a DNA check?!

Normally you won't, as you have faith!

And even if I do, who is to say the test wasn't fabricated? What if it lies?!? Oh dear gods... :eek:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
That is absolute nonsense.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Especially since there's not a soul on earth who doesn't functionally behave as such.

Or do you really ask everyone who says to you "I love you" for evidence of this claim of a very specific sort? >_< I imagine people would find that very frustrating.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This makes no sense.

There's a straightforward way to tell which is the cause and which is the effect: try treating the chemical imbalance and see if the person's symptoms are relieved. If they are, then you know that the chemical was the cause and not the other way around. If you're right and the "negative thinking" is what causes the chemical imbalance, then the treatment won't work.

Biblestudent_007

This makes no sense.

There's a straightforward way to tell which is the cause and which is the effect: try treating the chemical imbalance and see if the person's symptoms are relieved. If they are, then you know that the chemical was the cause and not the other way around. If you're right and the "negative thinking" is what causes the chemical imbalance, then the treatment won't work.

Like tobacco and caffeine. Nix nix nix

Walkntune

This makes no sense.

Your argument is not true and makes no sense and the fact that people are treated both ways there is no straightforward method.For some a treatment may help and for others altering their thinking is the only solution and for some it takes both.Its still debatable even among scientists if such an imbalance exists but my point is that understanding the mind is speculative.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Your argument is not true and makes no sense and the fact that people are treated both ways there is no straightforward method.For some a treatment may help and for others altering their thinking is the only solution and for some it takes both.
You realize that this doesn't actually support your argument, right?

Its still debatable even among scientists if such an imbalance exists but my point is that understanding the mind is speculative.
Strange that you consider the evidence either way speculative, yet you're already certain in your conclusion.

Walkntune

=9-10ths_Penguin;2626488]You realize that this doesn't actually support your argument, right?
What argument?
Strange that you consider the evidence either way speculative, yet you're already certain in your conclusion.
I do know that most cases have a coincidence of trauma either from abusive childhood experience or a traumatic event that has distorted the victims thinking.
From there it is speculation.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
To me its like asking "why is the sky blue

Due to Rayleigh scattering.

or the grass green'

Because it contains chlorophyll.

'Why are there trees and vegetation'

Because multicellular plants have evolved that way.

'Why are there oceans'

Because the temperature on this planet is viable for liquid water.

and 'nature'. etc . . .

Define 'nature'.

See, that wasn't so hard, although I must say that your questions are somewhat on the vague side. :D