• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are Messiah claimants usually male?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Looking through this list List of messiah claimants - Wikipedia one can't really help but notice it's predominantly male, if not all male.

Are males more susceptible to delusions of grandeur? If that's the reason, then how come? it seems to me that most psychiatric disorders would happen to both genders.

Is it perhaps that women are more predestined to sanity, or humility?

Conjectures, anyone?

Personally I think it is because of the perversity of man and that God has spared women from the depravity of what a debased mind can produce.

All God's Messengers are persecuted and suffer because of the Message they have been given. Having read what the wayward generation are capable of inflicting on those that give Gods Message, I am happy no women to date has had to face this perversity as a Messenger. At the same time we can not forget that many women have suffered as a result of acceptance of that Message.

It is sickening what some men think they can justify and inflict upon another fellow human being, let alone animals.

One also has to consider that no Message was possible without the Women, it is they that give birth to the Messenger

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In my own opinion, I think it is terribly unfair and if it was offered as punishment to Eve, I think it was extreme.

If we read the Story of Adam and Eve as a metephor, that Adam is humanity and Eve is the soul of Man, then we can gain different insights and opinions of what is being taught in that story.

Regards Tony

Skwim

Veteran Member
Same quality, same mentality as "men" who have
their fun, seeing what reaction they can get by
flashing their equipment at the girls.
Quite an exaggeration. In fact, it's quite insulting, worthy of reporting to the mods. But then Audie's remark is not unexpected.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
All I can say is that I'm definitely not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!
Fortunately for mankind, there are more of this variety than the other. I am not the messiah either.

As to the OP , I couldn't find any reasoning whatsoever in any psychiatric journal for the propensity of this disorder to skewed towards males. Some psychiatric disorders or other ailments do have am imbalance towards one gender or the other. So as many have suggested, it seems to be as a result social reasons.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Personally I think it is because of the perversity of man and that God has spared women from the depravity of what a debased mind can produce.

Yes, I think that's a quite reasonable hypothesis. In short, male ego. I'll ask my psychiatrist friend if he's ever treated a woman for God delusion. (I suppose it might be called Goddess delusion). In my faith we don't have quite the same degree of male dominance with regard to God, as an entire sect puts 'female' into the anthropomorphised version.

ecco

Veteran Member
It would not hurt if you guys would kind of hint
at whether you mean it or not.

RE:
Because women are simply unworthy. Their only purpose on the planet is to serve as vessels for man's seed so as to produce more men. If god could have figured out how to use men to reproduce males he would have done so. But . . . . . . . . :shrug: It isn't as if god is all knowing and powerful or something.
That is not my opinion, that is the obvious opinion of the males who write scripture.

PureX

Veteran Member
Maybe, for all their shortcomings and faults, women
are not quite as loony as men
Certainly not as prone to needless violence.

As I read the OP, I couldn't help thinking that the bigger question is why do human males kill other humans in vastly greater numbers than human females do? Especially now that we are all swimming in an ocean of firearms that make killing humans so easy that any child can do it.

Audie

Veteran Member
RE:
Because women are simply unworthy. Their only purpose on the planet is to serve as vessels for man's seed so as to produce more men. If god could have figured out how to use men to reproduce males he would have done so. But . . . . . . . . :shrug: It isn't as if god is all knowing and powerful or something.
That is not my opinion, that is the obvious opinion of the males who write scripture.

Well, thanks for not just going dittohead.

I am more than a little aware of how the
"Abrahamic" religions view women. Not that
traditional Chinese society is any better.

The one who posted it thinks it is funny, so,
in the many a serious word spoken in just dept,
I will avoid all further contact.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
First, there is Testosterone. I think it is a very strong drug and should be a Controlled Substance perhaps?

Actually it is controlled in the US. It's a Schedule III Controlled Substance.

Audie

Veteran Member
Certainly not as prone to needless violence.

As I read the OP, I couldn't help thinking that the bigger question is why do human males kill other humans in vastly greater numbers than human females do? Especially now that we are all swimming in an ocean of firearms that make killing humans so easy that any child can do it.

Men and women are innately different in that regard.

ecco

Veteran Member
“I will make your pains in childbearing very severe;
with painful labor you will give birth to children.A)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-72A" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;">
Your desire will be for your husband,
and he will rule over you.
I don't like it. I hate it, but it is there. Not my fault, I didn't write it.

Omniscient God knew that Adam & Eve would disobey Him. When they did, on whom did God impart the most severe punishment?

The woman:
subjugation to men
painful (and dangerous) childbirth

And then, with probably a big smile on His face, He says: Go forth and multiply.

Callous.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Omniscient God knew that Adam & Eve would disobey Him. When they did, on whom did God impart the most severe punishment?

The woman:
subjugation to men

And then, with probably a big smile on His face, He says: Go forth and multiply.

Callous.

And men have to hear about it. :rolleyes:

[ducks and runs] :D

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Uh, no, explain plz?

It's a Monty Python film from 1980. Comedy, religious spoof - set in Judea in 33 A.D., about tea time. Brian was born in the manger right next door to Jesus' manger. Later on, he is mistaken for the Messiah, yet keeps insisting that he's not the Messiah, but nobody believes him. It's really a hilarious film.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
It's a Monty Python film from 1980. Comedy, religious spoof - set in Judea in 33 A.D., about tea time. Brian was born in the manger right next door to Jesus' manger. Later on, he is mistaken for the Messiah, yet keeps insisting that he's not the Messiah, but nobody believes him. It's really a hilarious film.

Romanes eunt domus :D

Centurion: " 'Domus'? Nominative? 'Go home', this is motion towards, isn't it, boy?"
Brian: "Dative?"
[Centurion draws his sword and holds it to Brian's throat ]
Brian: "Ahh! No, not the dative, not the dative, sir. No, the, accusative, accusative, 'ad domum', sir!"
Centurion: "Except that 'domus' takes the ...?"
Brian: "The locative, sir!"
Centurion: "Which is ...?!"
Brian: "'Domum'." Romani ite domum - Wikipedia

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Yes, I think that's a quite reasonable hypothesis. In short, male ego. I'll ask my psychiatrist friend if he's ever treated a woman for God delusion. (I suppose it might be called Goddess delusion). In my faith we don't have quite the same degree of male dominance with regard to God, as an entire sect puts 'female' into the anthropomorphised version.
Some men love to feel powerful and in charge of the situation. A lot maybe from childhood trauma of being to made feel weak by one or both parents. I don't think women are as often targets of this air of importance and responsibility fathers give their sons.

They then feel the need to prove themselves to the parents. What better way than to claim to be a messiah? Self delusion and a need to prove ones importance I could see leading to delusions of grandeur and a god/messenger/messiah complex.
They probably have little man issues.

ecco

Veteran Member
Personally I think it is

All God's Messengers are persecuted and suffer because of the Message they have been given. Having read what the wayward generation are capable of inflicting on those that give Gods Message, I am happy no women to date has had to face this perversity as a Messenger. At the same time we can not forget that many women have suffered as a result of acceptance of that Message.

It is sickening what some men think they can justify and inflict upon another fellow human being, let alone animals.

One also has to consider that no Message was possible without the Women, it is they that give birth to the Messenger

Regards Tony

Wow. That's pretty good. Rationalization and proselytization all wrapped up in one post.

So, God didn't make female Messengers because He wanted to spare them persecution and depravity at the hands of men. I guess the European witches would disagree with your thoughtful analysis. Actually, any reasonable person would.

In all of the History of Bahai, the only thing you can find to credit women with is that they were Messenger Ovens for nine months.

ecco

Veteran Member
If we read the Story of Adam and Eve as a metephor, that Adam is humanity and Eve is the soul of Man, then we can gain different insights and opinions of what is being taught in that story.

Regards Tony

Why would we "read the Story of Adam and Eve as a metephor"? Do you have some special knowledge that says Moses was writing in metaphors? There is no reason to accept your conclusion, much less your interpretation.