• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are Messiah claimants usually male?

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Or both. Sometimes it could be several. I can see that at an institution's round table group therapy discussion. In reality, I'm sure no therapist in his/her right mind would go there.
Sure, but you can be confident that one certainly is.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Looking through this list List of messiah claimants - Wikipedia one can't really help but notice it's predominantly male, if not all male.

Are males more susceptible to delusions of grandeur? If that's the reason, then how come? it seems to me that most psychiatric disorders would happen to both genders.

Is it perhaps that women are more predestined to sanity, or humility?

Conjectures, anyone?

Ex-messiah claimant here, I’m not ashamed to admit it...

i think the simple reason messiah claimants are male is that because Jesus of Nazareth was gendered as a man, I think there’s little more to it than that

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
In case you guys missed it, it's because the messiah is described as male.

Audie

Veteran Member
I have never heard of that ever working out. I cannot even understand it.

I am afraid it always works out. It does not
matter what we do. Laugh and point, that is attention.

It is next to impossible to show no reaction at all to
the sight of some guy suddenly flashing his thing,
Or any of the countless other ways to harass.

A guy did something really awful to me on
the subway a couple of days ago, so any
thing like the "joke" earlier is especially unfunny.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Ex-messiah claimant here, I’m not ashamed to admit it...

i think the simple reason messiah claimants are male is that because Jesus of Nazareth was gendered as a man, I think there’s little more to it than that

Thanks. If you don't mind me asking, what treatments worked for you? (If that's too personal, please don't feel any obligation whatsoever.)

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Thanks. If you don't mind me asking, what treatments worked for you? (If that's too personal, please don't feel any obligation whatsoever.)

Believe me when I say it’s all a long, long, and complex story

But basically, the abnormal state of mind that lead me to believe I was The Messiah has since lead me elsewhere, to more interesting grounds. Who knows where it will lead next!

Talking about it on these forums helped me a lot, I was in a state of intellectual isolation which mean I had never really opened up about it before and the good people here soon gave me a good dose of reality and I saw how silly the notion truly was - thanks RF :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Believe me when I say it’s all a long, long, and complex story

But basically, the abnormal state of mind that lead me to believe I was The Messiah has since lead me elsewhere, to more interesting grounds. Who knows where it will lead next!

Talking about it on these forums helped me a lot, I was in a state of intellectual isolation which mean I had never really opened up about it before and the good people here soon gave me a good dose of reality and I saw how silly the notion truly was - thanks RF :)
That's good to know. Too bad our success rate hasn't been higher.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
I am afraid it always works out. It does not
matter what we do. Laugh and point, that is attention.

It is next to impossible to show no reaction at all to
the sight of some guy suddenly flashing his thing,
Or any of the countless other ways to harass.

A guy did something really awful to me on
the subway a couple of days ago, so any
thing like the "joke" earlier is especially unfunny.
I was thinking in terms of what the perp might get out of that act. If you are over a couple of years old, there does not seem to be any reason to carry on the behavior. I have never heard of women swooning over it and needing to meet the guy.

I don't even recall doing it in jest in an established relationship.

I could see letting a woman know you had a steady job or something like that. That makes sense.

I assume it is another power trip or at least the confused effort of someone needing to exert power.

Sorry to hear about that. While I cannot relate, I empathize with you.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Wow. That's pretty good. Rationalization and proselytization all wrapped up in one post.

So, God didn't make female Messengers because He wanted to spare them persecution and depravity at the hands of men. I guess the European witches would disagree with your thoughtful analysis. Actually, any reasonable person would.

In all of the History of Bahai, the only thing you can find to credit women with is that they were Messenger Ovens for nine months.

Please correct your quote.

Regards Tony

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Looking through this list List of messiah claimants - Wikipedia one can't really help but notice it's predominantly male, if not all male.

Are males more susceptible to delusions of grandeur? If that's the reason, then how come? it seems to me that most psychiatric disorders would happen to both genders.

Conjectures, anyone?

Probably the same reason most religious leaders in different cultures have been male. The world until relatively recently has been dominated by men. Knowing the milieu from which Jesus, Muhammad and Baha'u'llah arose, its clear the Message would have been rejected on the grounds of gender alone had the Messenger been female.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Probably the same reason most religious leaders in different cultures have been male. The world until relatively recently has been dominated by men. Knowing the milieu from which Jesus, Muhammad and Baha'u'llah arose, its clear the Message would have been rejected on the grounds of gender alone had the Messenger been female.

Didn't you major in psychiatry? (Honestly I forget, just know you has something about psychiatry in you) You have any views from that POV?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Didn't you major in psychiatry? (Honestly I forget, just know you has something about psychiatry in you) You have any views from that POV?

I worked in psychiatry for many years before moving into general practice. The main issues are cultural rather than psychiatric. For example in many place within New Zealand's Maori culture woman are still not allowed to speak on a Marae (Maori meeting house). There was a famous incident not so long ago when even one of our former female prime ministers was prevented from speaking simple because of her gender.

Maori elders hold on to powhiri custom

Back in the Day: Tears as Helen Clark barred from speaking at Waitangi

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
I did not know that. Looking at brain activity is useful then, looking to a possible treatment program.
Yes, the human brain is amazing in the stories it can create from within itself for itself. The knowledge of exactly how it works is still being discovered. But it is the key to understanding what makes humans believe and act according to those beliefs. The chemical reactions religious thoughts create is fascinating stuff.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
CNN)Most Americans, about 89%, say they believe in God, and some have felt God's presence while listening to a sermon or sensed time stand still while they were in deep prayer or meditation.

Now, a new study shows through functional MRI scans that such religious and spiritual experiences can be rewarding to your brain.

They activate the same reward systems between your ears as do feelings of love, being moved by music and even doing drugs, according to the study, which was published in the journal Social Neuroscience on Tuesday.

Religious thoughts trigger brain's reward systems - CNN

MJFlores

Conjectures, anyone?

There are less female claimants because women of the past are preoccupied with maintaining their respective households. They are dedicated in rearing, nourishing their children and many more. They are focused on their homes and have less time socializing with other women and I believe it is taboo for them to have male companion/s who are not their husbands.

images

Males on the other hand could easily group themselves in packs or in gangs - either to hunt, gather the harvest or just having fun. Hence males naturally select another male as their leader. A female has to be exceptional and the circumstances surrounding her should be exceptional for her to be selected as leader.

Claiming oneself to be messiah is one thing, proving himself one is another.
He has to be the real thing. Acts 2:22

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There are less female claimants because women of the past are preoccupied with maintaining their respective households. They are dedicated in rearing, nourishing their children and many more. They are focused on their homes and have less time socializing with other women and I believe it is taboo for them to have male companion/s who are not their husbands.

images

Males on the other hand could easily group themselves in packs or in gangs - either to hunt, gather the harvest or just having fun. Hence males naturally select another male as their leader. A female has to be exceptional and the circumstances surrounding her should be exceptional for her to be selected as leader.

Claiming oneself to be messiah is one thing, proving himself one is another.
He has to be the real thing. Acts 2:22

What about today though? It's still mostly male.

MJFlores

What about today though? It's still mostly male.

As world leaders are mostly male.
It takes so much to be an Alpha Female in a man's world.

In the Philippines, we have a total of 15 presidents and 2 of them are female.
That is 13%

Indeed it is a man's world.