• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are Messiah claimants usually male?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Some men love to feel powerful and in charge of the situation. A lot maybe from childhood trauma of being to made feel weak by one or both parents. I don't think women are as often targets of this air of importance and responsibility fathers give their sons.

They then feel the need to prove themselves to the parents. What better way than to claim to be a messiah? Self delusion and a need to prove ones importance I could see leading to delusions of grandeur and a god/messenger/messiah complex.
They probably have little man issues.

Yes, probably. It is a known side effect of the wider psychiatric disorders, bipolar disorder, and of multiple personality disorder. In those cases it fades in and out due to a variety of factors. Not fun for the loved ones around, for sure.

Quite literally one moment you're God, and within a few more moments you're a dog.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Yes, probably. It is a known side effect of the wider psychiatric disorders, bipolar disorder, and of multiple personality disorder. In those cases it fades in and out due to a variety of factors. Not fun for the loved ones around, for sure.
It's already been shown that delusions of grandure caress the ego and light up the same area of the brain as drugs will.

Imagine someone today claiming to be a messenger of God. He wrote thousands of incoherent and repetitive journals espousing his greatness and his personal connection with "God" in his manic states?

We would work hard to see he got the help he needed!

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
"Behold, the Messiah shall have wear glasses, saith the L-rd"

"Why do messiah claimants usually wear glasses?"
- OP probably
In the middle of this, some people in the year 2,000 bce...

'Wait! HaShem! What are"'glasses"?'
'You'll see.'

Tumah

Veteran Member
In the middle of this, some people in the year 2,000 bce...

'Wait! HaShem! What are"'glasses"?'
'You'll see.'
I feel like there should be a diminishing echo at the end there:

"You'll see...see... see...see..."

*people look confusedly at each other*
*one person squints confusedly at the others*

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
Considering how many (majority of) men do see
things that way, if a person does not even specify
that they are attempting a joke, I will assume they
mean it, and make no allowance for any nuance of
slight over / under statement.

If a person is not up to the challenge and consequences of
saying something equivalent about our friends of African
lineage, they might (might) consider the sorry excuse for
courage it takes to "joke" about women that way.

Whether women might make better rulers, who
knows, Considering the record, it might be well
to let someone else try for a bit.
More women leaders are fine by me. Merkel seems to be doing a good job for Germany and the EU.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Roman law didnt discriminate at crucifixions.
That reminds me of another joke. But like the previous one I was reminded of, I cannot repeat it here. Probably would not if I could. Not certain if they would be seen as sexist, this particular one seems to favor equality at its core, but they are dirty.

Dad was a Marine, and another thread I responded to brought him to mind. He told me those jokes a long time ago and the associations just popped into my head.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Looking through this list List of messiah claimants - Wikipedia one can't really help but notice it's predominantly male, if not all male.

Are males more susceptible to delusions of grandeur? If that's the reason, then how come? it seems to me that most psychiatric disorders would happen to both genders.

Is it perhaps that women are more predestined to sanity, or humility?

Conjectures, anyone?
All I can think to say is that if two men claim to be the messiah, one of them is clearly lying.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
All I can think to say is that if two men claim to be the messiah, one of them is clearly lying.
Or both. Sometimes it could be several. I can see that at an institution's round table group therapy discussion. In reality, I'm sure no therapist in his/her right mind would go there.

Rational Agnostic

Looking through this list List of messiah claimants - Wikipedia one can't really help but notice it's predominantly male, if not all male.

Are males more susceptible to delusions of grandeur? If that's the reason, then how come? it seems to me that most psychiatric disorders would happen to both genders.

Is it perhaps that women are more predestined to sanity, or humility?

Conjectures, anyone?

I think you are correct. Males are more susceptible to delusions of grandeur. It could be the result of the interaction of testosterone with an existing mental illness that would manifest differently in females. For instance, women are more prone to Borderline Personality Disorder.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Same quality, same mentality as "men" who have
their fun, seeing what reaction they can get by
flashing their equipment at the girls.

Whatever reply you wish to make at this point,
I wont see it.
I have never heard of that ever working out. I cannot even understand it.