• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are British English and American English so different?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Speaking of Itallish (I mean English spoken by Italians) just consider what this guy says : Italian has only 7 vowel sounds. British English has 20.

Have mercy on us:p

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I mean...they sound like two completely different language....so many differences as for phonology...how is that possible? I mean...only 3 centuries separate the English from the Pilgrim Fathers

Actually the most interesting question is why is the English so different in the different areas of the British Isles. Also, the English in the USA has considerable variation from some fishing villages on Islands on the Atlantic coast speak an older Kings English, New Orleans, Appalachian, Mid Western, Southern, and New England dialects and many others. There is a relationship with were the original settlers came from in the British Isles, and elsewhere like France. The influence of French German and Spanish does influence regional and ethnic variations.

The fairly standard Mid Western and Mid Atlantic English is very similar to the English of South Western region around Cornwall to South Hampton of the British Isles,

Last edited:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
This guy is wonderful.
He perfectly explains how and what languages created English

Linguistics is my grandsons "Thing" he has a first class degree in it, as well as his Masters. He now teaches English.
I feel Linguistics is one of those things, that in most cases is far more interesting than useful.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
It all went downhill when Americans rejected the Queen and English gentlemen, and stopped speaking the Queen's English. :p

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Linguistics is my grandsons "Thing" he has a first class degree in it, as well as his Masters. He now teaches English.
I feel Linguistics is one of those things, that in most cases is far more interesting than useful.
Linguists are like comedians.
Both are useful in that they're here to entertain us.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It all went downhill when Americans rejected the Queen and English gentlemen, and stopped speaking the Queen's English. :p

Well, at the time of our rejection, England was ruled by a King, and there was no King's or Queen's English until the 19th century. At the time of the Revolution, various regions had their own dialects and variations on spelling. It wasn't until several decades later that both countries started standardizing the language, with Oxford setting the standard in Britain, while Webster set the standard in America.

Strictly speaking, it was the British who departed from the original language, as they ostensibly wanted their language to be more elegant, like French. That's why there's a superfluous "U" in words like "colour" and "favour," and why words like "theatre" are spelled in the French way.

In other words, we wanted to still keep speaking English, while the English wanted to change their language to French (which is curious, considering how much the English considered the French to be an enemy).

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Well, at the time of our rejection, England was ruled by a King, and there was no King's or Queen's English until the 19th century. At the time of the Revolution, various regions had their own dialects and variations on spelling. It wasn't until several decades later that both countries started standardizing the language, with Oxford setting the standard in Britain, while Webster set the standard in America.

Strictly speaking, it was the British who departed from the original language, as they ostensibly wanted their language to be more elegant, like French. That's why there's a superfluous "U" in words like "colour" and "favour," and why words like "theatre" are spelled in the French way.

In other words, we wanted to still keep speaking English, while the English wanted to change their language to French (which is curious, considering how much the English considered the French to be an enemy).
It all went wrong from when the Normans invaded. Quel dommage!

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
"Lit" is (according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary) the past tense and past participle of "light."

"That the flame of education always be lit" is the motto of an American organisation called Fight for Schools. Is this motto gramatically correct? It seems odd to me...

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
"Lit" is (according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary) the past tense and past participle of "light."

"That the flame of education always be lit" is the motto of an American organisation called Fight for Schools. Is this motto gramatically correct? It seems odd to me...

Looks like a sentence fragment.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic

Mottos are always simple statements so it is quite correct. If you stick in front " our motto is," it sounds fine.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

I have always learnt that drunk is the past participle of drink.
But I saw people type "I have drank " on RF.