• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are American beauty standards so ridiculous?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I think as a nation we are too fat.Its not about "perfection".Its not even about how you look because over time we could get used to that.

Its an indicator of sitting on your butt and overeating(the wrong foods too) which causes clogged arteries and diabetes etc...and then your kids follow the lifestyle and end up with high cholesterol and high blood pressure at 15 or 20 ...

But HEY now we can take a pill.That staves off that for a while.So we can get fat as pumpkins sit there and eat what ever the hell we want ..and then just take high blood pressure medication and cholesteraol lowering drugs...

And if you have some extra money have some lipo suction to suck out the fat you ate.

Love

Dallas

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Is honey coloured orange ? :p

the-future-truly-is-orange-for-newly-single-fake-tan-fan-chelsy-davy-mail-online.jpg

orange and thickening skin and features, is the result of getting it wrong most of the time.

Nanda

Polyanna
Man, the media has us so convinced at how shallow men are. :help:

Time and time again, how a woman looks according to conventional beauty standards (which always change, btw) bears little to how attractive she seems to other people. If a man thinks I'm ugly because I don't have the perfect figure - I don't want to have anything to do with him ANYWAY. Thank goodness that's not the truth across the board for most hetero men I know......MOST most men I know.

The media needs something to market to the people and to "sell" an idea. The 36-24-36 size may captivate for a few minutes only because culturally we have been conditioned to notice such a shape as the "ideal." But in reality, what REALLY keeps the attention and ultimately are standards of beauty are:

Confidence

Humor

The art of conversation

Intelligence

A woman who seems approachable, playful, and unafraid to live in her own skin is by far considered much more attractive than the runway model look-a-like who is a boring and whiny dolt. :yes:

This is so true. Honestly, I've been fat my entire life, but I've never had a shortage of attention from men (or women, for that mattter). Attitude goes a long way; and the rest is looking for like-minded individuals, people who like you for you, and not your dress size.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
orange and thickening skin and features, is the result of getting it wrong most of the time.

Looks like she really needs a beauty consultant because I would have thought she was maybe in the cast of Ooompa Loompas from Charlie and the Chocolate factory..

Maybe its "Maybeline" that did that to her..Thats what I suspect.

Love

Dallas

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Most people fall within a particular "normal" range of attractivness, and most men are more than happy when they get to see a woman naked. The fashion and advertising industries' standard of "beauty" hardly reflects the average person's standard. People who feel they need to look like one of these freakish models, generally have nothing to blame but their own shallowness.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
This is so true. Honestly, I've been fat my entire life, but I've never had a shortage of attention from men (or women, for that mattter). Attitude goes a long way; and the rest is looking for like-minded individuals, people who like you for you, and not your dress size.

I'm so glad you chimed in, Nanda, about your experiences with perceptions of beauty. I thought for years as a kid that the only way to be considered beautiful was to be tall and rail thin - I used to blame the ballet industry for espousing that impossible standard and for my sheep-like mentality considering my eating habits and self-image. I'm under five feet tall with short arms and crazy-tiny hands. I used to think that people wouldn't think of me as an adult and would just pat my head like a little girl. Like you said, attitude does certainly go a long way.

I'd said in another thread that I've witnessed women, who by conventional standards, would be considered some of the ugliest women on the planet and yet have walked into a crowded room looking more radiant, dynamic, and gorgeous than any other woman there. If anyone still doesn't believe me, ever seen an actual profile image of Cleopatra? Immortalized in history as one heck of a seductress of powerful men - as well as carving out her own niche in politics - and also possessed a big honkin' hook-nose. :D

And she's not the only one, either. Mae West didn't become famous until after she turned 40, when her age would conventionally dictate that she be washed up and when we thought (and still think in come circles) that youthfulness defines beauty. There have been senior sirens, "ugly" seductresses (Wallis Simpson wasn't "all that" in her pics), and women with superior intellects - smarter than their male counterparts - who have captivated millions throughout history.

So, you know, I just sooooo wish that more women knew and realized that the "it" girls of today will be gone tomorrow, and that this is all the result of a media circus to keep us talking. Men looking for beauty in women will nearly always devote more time and energy in women who are autonomous, conversational, and charismatic. When our oldest son started dating his girlfriend, he kept mentioning how much in love he is with her. So when we met her, we weren't surprised. She is ambitious, a voracious reader, an activist for gay marraige rights, and makes us all laugh up a storm. Did I mention that she is quite overweight? It's an afterthought. Because I think our son has a real catch. She's beautiful. :yes: :yes: :yes:

My husband said that it isn't my hair or my figure per se that made him want to worship the ground I walk on, but my confidence. He tells me that he just really loves the way I carry myself. And it's those qualities that we continue to try to teach our kids as they get older. I keep telling our daughter: speak your mind and flaunt your stuff, and that your "stuff" is what YOU decide it to be, and no one else. So far, so good. I have yet to hear her at 11 question whether or not she's pretty enough, or thin enough, or smart enough, or anything enough. I know she still has a ways to go, but it's definitely a good start. :angel2:

Can you tell I have a lot to say about the subject of women's beauty and our self-image? LOL

I think the actress who was in dirty dancing is a brilliant example, she undeniably had a prominent bump on her nose and had it ''fixed'' ,while she is now probably prettier, the sucessful and quite natural looking surgery transformed her from a striking woman to a fairly ordinary looking one. She believes it destroyed her career, who knows :shrug:

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I think we are our own worst critic. You ladies are right, we just need to flaunt our stuff......I've always had a low self esteem as far as looks but most people tell me I look good for a gal of my age.....Not that I will tell my age of course....:D

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I think the actress who was in dirty dancing is a brilliant example, she undeniably had a prominent bump on her nose and had it ''fixed'' ,while she is now probably prettier, the sucessful and quite natural looking surgery transformed her from a striking woman to a fairly ordinary looking one. She believes it destroyed her career, who knows :shrug:

Jennifer Grey. I agree. I think she ought to write a book, do a speaking tour, be a spokeswoman for Dove Beauty Campaign, something to offer women and girls how the media attempts to morph ideas of beauty in order to make a sale. She can certainly do a LOT for herself and for all of us with her own experiences in Hollywood and with plastic surgery.

I think we are our own worst critic. You ladies are right, we just need to flaunt our stuff......I've always had a low self esteem as far as looks but most people tell me I look good for a gal of my age.....Not that I will tell my age of course....:D

Why not, Charity? Own it. Your age will speak of your wisdom, and that's sexy. :)

Sophia Loren is 75. By all means, feel free to suggest that her age hinders her attractiveness in some way. Go ahead. I dare you. ;)

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Jennifer Grey. I agree. I think she ought to write a book, do a speaking tour, be a spokeswoman for Dove Beauty Campaign, something to offer women and girls how the media attempts to morph ideas of beauty in order to make a sale. She can certainly do a LOT for herself and for all of us with her own experiences in Hollywood and with plastic surgery.

Why not, Charity? Own it. Your age will speak of your wisdom, and that's sexy. :)

Sophia Loren is 75. By all means, feel free to suggest that her age hinders her attractiveness in some way. Go ahead. I dare you. ;)

Sophia has always been beautiful.....As far me lately I'm a cougar, 20 years older than the guy I'm dating....can't give out too much info...:D
I will tell you in pm though....;)
Ha Ha I can just see the thread "Charity _____yrs old" :faint:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Sophia Loren just doesn't do it for me. I think, in large part, because I fist saw her in Man of la Mancha, where she was most unfortunately allowed to sing. Also, the one current pic I've seen is..... well, not good.

Michelle Pfeiffer, otoh.... hot damn!

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Sophia Loren just doesn't do it for me. I think, in large part, because I fist saw her in Man of la Mancha, where she was most unfortunately allowed to sing. Also, the one current pic I've seen is..... well, not good.

I agree with you Storm, Michelle is a real beauty...
Elizabeth Taylor was a beautiful woman , beautiful eyes also, she like some of us had her battle with the bulge.....

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

LOL well.....I would be more than open to a night with Sophia. Can't fault her for Man of la Mancha though - the movie was crap from start to finish anyway and took out all the dignity from the stage version.

Agreed on Michelle Pfeiffer, btw. :yes:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
LOL well.....I would be more than open to a night with Sophia. Can't fault her for Man of la Mancha though - the movie was crap from start to finish anyway and took out all the dignity from the stage version.
I suppose not. All I recall is her abysmal singing, so obviously, the movie itself didn't impress me much.

Agreed on Michelle Pfeiffer, btw. :yes:
Indeed.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..

I agree..and she wasnt even "fat".

The same with Ashley Simpson..I dont know if her 'career" was ruined but she had her nose and chin and I dont know what else done and to me now although she is "pretty" she to me just stripped herself of her uniqueness ..Her 'imperfections" made her look like Ashley.Now she looks like a Barbie Doll off an assembly line.

But having said that if its what made her feel better about her self and gave her more confidence than more power to her.I just frankly didnt even recognize her.I thought she was pretty the way she was.

I dont like my nose.The cartledge is "bent"..I hate the way I look especially in pictures but its also I cant breath out of one nostril becausse of the 'curve" LOL!

And I dont like my neck under my chin.I can weigh 1OO lbs in a picture and be talking to someone whne I'm at 115 lbs and they will say 'gosh you have lost a lot of weight since that picture was taken havent you?

Im like no I was actually underweight in that picture I just have fat cheeks and a fat chin especially when I smile! :flirt:

As someone else said we are our own worse critics.

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

Nanda

Polyanna
I thought Jennifer Grey looked beautiful with her original nose - but then, I'm a sucker for women with roman noses. Like Indira Varma:

indiravarma.jpg

I think she's the most beautiful woman I've ever seen.

Then there's Queen Latifah... Yowzah! "Who wants a twig when you can climb the whole tree?" ;)