• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why agnostic atheism isn't atheism

Laika

Premium Member
I would like to apologise in advance for starting *yet another atheism* thread but I am going to try and demolish it in one go. Some of the arguments here are fairly obscure coming from the *cough* militant atheist rather than the theist side so it will be a little different than usual.

In order to defend the atheism of de Sade, Nietzsche and Stalin as the terrifying antagonist to religious belief, in which freedom from superstition and morality may proceed to its inevitable, malevolent and yet deeply satisfying conclusion, it is necessary to expose the pretenders as an insult to the intelligence of theists and atheists alike. So I will assert that there are no agnostic atheists: They are just agnostics. And now I will try to prove it. Muhahahaha!

By "agnostic atheism" I refer to those who say on the one hand there is no evidence for God whilst saying it is impossible to know that God can or cannot exist either way.

The problem with this is that by saying it is impossible to prove or disprove the existence of God, this implies that God is "beyond" the realm of science. This tacitly implies that;

1) there is indeed some pheneomena which cannot be observed or studied
2) and therefore there are at least two realms of knowledge: knowledge of the physical world which can be known by science and knowledge of a non-physical world which cannot be known by science.

Both of these positions are necessary for a belief in God as something that is inferred as existing in a non physical realm accessible by methods other than science. In this agnostic atheism betrays it's true origins in religious belief.

Typically agnostics atheists will attack scientism as an over-evaluation of science whilst failing to grasp the contradiction in seeking to find evidence for the existence of God as a "scientific" approach whilst assuming that God is unknowable. In essence, they have set themselves a task which is by definition impossible. Agnostic atheism is a self contradictory and self refuting belief.

The agnosticism is not a product of science or even evidence, but of philosophical assumptions about the nature of reality and what can and cannot be known. By saying "we cannot know God" we have established a position that falls outside of the scope of the scientific method. It cannot by definition be based on evidence.

Agnostic atheists often go much further than this however and rewrite the history on the debate over the existence of God to suit the assumption that knowledge of God is impossible.
Very often, they will attack religious belief as dogmatic or irrational whilst failing to recognise that religious belief is not based on revelation alone. They will insist that religion is equivalent to blind faith in authority derived from relevation and will say that it is impossible for religious belief to be based on reason or evidence. This reductionist concept of religion means that they are often more literalist and fundamentalist in their interpretation of religious scriptures than many believers. For the agnostic-atheist, who understands religious experience purely in terms of revelation, it is enough to find a single line in a religious text to condemn that religion as immoral.

By doing so the agnostic atheists are taking another self-refuting position: they categorically fail to examine the history of religion or its theology or the scope for interpretation instead asserting that the burden of proof falls on the theist. An agnostic atheist can, from a position of ignorance, therefore condemn a religion without the use of evidence. The belief in the impossibility of knowledge of God quickly evolved into a belief that it is unnecessary for them to actually have knowledge about a religion. The reductionist treatment of religion is not only a slander against Christianity, Islam and Judaism as the dominant scriptural traditions but fails to examine the diversity of religious belief based on eliminating monotheistic religions as competitors to their "reason". Yet they utterly fail to recognise the existence of natural theology or deism as the use of reason to demonstrate the existence of God. For agnostic-atheists, reason must be the supreme authority, a stick with which to condemn others, accuse them of logical fallacy and otherwise "chose" which evidence they consider relevant to the discussion. they-and only they- may determine what is and is not evidence and what is the correct interpretation of that evidence without ever recognising the contradiction between believing knowledge of God is impossible and seeking evidence for the existence of God. It is inevitable in these such discussions, that they will defend their agnosticism by rejecting any and all evidence presented to them as the victims of their own assumptions.

Secondly, the very morality of which the agnostic atheist condemns religion is itself derived from religion; secular humanism did not have secular roots but developed out of Christianity. The view that morality derives from human nature is one with Christian roots in seeking morality through introspection into the soul. Secular humanist morality, enjoying the benefits of selective amnesia of its own origins, indulges in mysticism and rejects scientific approaches to ethics to subjective sources of moral feeling and projecting the "reason" of an individual to the status of an objectively existing and omniscient deity, in which "principles" and "ideas" objectively exist (again, without ever questioning or seeking evidence for the existence of "moral principles" independent of a thinking person). In very much a religious sense, the thoughts and feelings of the agnostic atheists are projected onto the world as if they were objectively moral without basis in evidence. In so far as morality is derived from introspection based on feelings and not evidence, the agnostic atheist will claim that ethics is therefore very often considered "beyond" the scope of science.

In short, agnostic atheism is a coherent ideology built on a series of assumptions which act as dogma. In its limitations, Agnostic atheism substitutes "pure" reason for evidence, condemns religion from a position ignorance, and invents morality on openly anti-scientific basis in which the agnostic atheist substitutes their own reason and feeling for God and seeks to impose them on others as an objective and universal "morality".

For this reason, agnostic atheists are the greatest allies of religion that religious people could ever wish for, as for all their infuriating insinuations that there is no evidence or that religious belief is a logical fallacy, they have simply raised themselves to the status of god by projecting the egotistical reason and feelings as an objective qualities. They therefore defend the "spiritual" roots of religion in philosophical introspection rather than scientific and historical evidence. Agnostic atheists simply continue religious mysticism by holding themselves, their reason and moral feelings to be the standards by which everyone should be judged. Of course, as the mind and the soul are part of the non physical realm their qualification to make such a judgement is not built on evidence but is assumed as a "natural" condition, still masking the belief that man was created in gods image and is endowed with reason by their creator.

My question therefore is Does the fact that agnostic atheists are ignorant of the religious roots of secular humanism as a source for reason and moral feeling mean they are actually atheists? Or should they be treated as the allies of religious superstitution that they are?

Commence Trolling.:D

idav

Being
Premium Member
If I'm understanding right agnostics are elevating knowledge of god to mystical levels which is actually same thing most theists (agnostic theists) do. So I do agree that agnosticism leaving the question of god open isn't really saying that a god does not exist. If someone says that a god does not exist I assume its a position on some sort of knowledge us theists have not yet obtained but there lies the rub. Atheism isn't obligated to come from a position of knowledge to begin with but then why even make a claim.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not a secular humanist, but have utilitarian consequentialist normative ethics. I believe morals are only subjective in the universal sense that different people have different morals. I do believe there is an objective highest gain, lowest cost solution even if not all variables are known to make the best moral judgements. (Which is why moral judgements should be regularly challenged).
But what reason do I have to believe that secular humanism is tied to Christian roots? Seems like a ad hoc style argument.

Also I quite understand that there are natural theistic religions and there may be scientific evidences for the gods of those religions. But as I have not encountered those gods yet, or compelling evidences of those gods, I do not believe. Agnostic doesn't always mean 'cannot know,' but can also just mean 'doesn't know.'
I am a substance monist, however, and categorically reject the idea of souls and spirits. I personally don't even think substance dualism is even clearly defined enough to be debated, let alone believed.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Agnostic atheism is actually a very natural and solid position, albeit a fairly unstable and often misunderstood one.

It seems to me that it tends to collapse into "pure" atheism once enough of an accepting climate is established, though.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I would like to apologise in advance for starting *yet another atheism* thread but I am going to try and demolish it in one go. Some of the arguments here are fairly obscure coming from the *cough* militant atheist rather than the theist side so it will be a little different than usual.

In order to defend the atheism of de Sade, Nietzsche and Stalin as the terrifying antagonist to religious belief, in which freedom from superstition and morality may proceed to its inevitable, malevolent and yet deeply satisfying conclusion, it is necessary to expose the pretenders as an insult to the intelligence of theists and atheists alike. So I will assert that there are no agnostic atheists: They are just agnostics. And now I will try to prove it. Muhahahaha!

By "agnostic atheism" I refer to those who say on the one hand there is no evidence for God whilst saying it is impossible to know that God can or cannot exist either way.

The problem with this is that by saying it is impossible to prove or disprove the existence of God, this implies that God is "beyond" the realm of science. This tacitly implies that;

2) and therefore there are at least two realms of knowledge: knowledge of the physical world which can be known by science and knowledge of a non-physical world which cannot be known by science.

Both of these positions are necessary for a belief in God as something that is inferred as existing in a non physical realm accessible by methods other than science. In this agnostic atheism betrays it's true origins in religious belief.

Typically agnostics atheists will attack scientism as an over-evaluation of science whilst failing to grasp the contradiction in seeking to find evidence for the existence of God as a "scientific" approach whilst assuming that God is unknowable. In essence, they have set themselves a task which is by definition impossible. Agnostic atheism is a self contradictory and self refuting belief.

The agnosticism is not a product of science or even evidence, but of philosophical assumptions about the nature of reality and what can and cannot be known. By saying "we cannot know God" we have established a position that falls outside of the scope of the scientific method. It cannot by definition be based on evidence.

Agnostic atheists often go much further than this however and rewrite the history on the debate over the existence of God to suit the assumption that knowledge of God is impossible.
Very often, they will attack religious belief as dogmatic or irrational whilst failing to recognise that religious belief is not based on revelation alone. They will insist that religion is equivalent to blind faith in authority derived from relevation and will say that it is impossible for religious belief to be based on reason or evidence. This reductionist concept of religion means that they are often more literalist and fundamentalist in their interpretation of religious scriptures than many believers. For the agnostic-atheist, who understands religious experience purely in terms of revelation, it is enough to find a single line in a religious text to condemn that religion as immoral.

By doing so the agnostic atheists are taking another self-refuting position: they categorically fail to examine the history of religion or its theology or the scope for interpretation instead asserting that the burden of proof falls on the theist. An agnostic atheist can, from a position of ignorance, therefore condemn a religion without the use of evidence. The belief in the impossibility of knowledge of God quickly evolved into a belief that it is unnecessary for them to actually have knowledge about a religion. The reductionist treatment of religion is not only a slander against Christianity, Islam and Judaism as the dominant scriptural traditions but fails to examine the diversity of religious belief based on eliminating monotheistic religions as competitors to their "reason". Yet they utterly fail to recognise the existence of natural theology or deism as the use of reason to demonstrate the existence of God. For agnostic-atheists, reason must be the supreme authority, a stick with which to condemn others, accuse them of logical fallacy and otherwise "chose" which evidence they consider relevant to the discussion. they-and only they- may determine what is and is not evidence and what is the correct interpretation of that evidence without ever recognising the contradiction between believing knowledge of God is impossible and seeking evidence for the existence of God. It is inevitable in these such discussions, that they will defend their agnosticism by rejecting any and all evidence presented to them as the victims of their own assumptions.

Secondly, the very morality of which the agnostic atheist condemns religion is itself derived from religion; secular humanism did not have secular roots but developed out of Christianity. The view that morality derives from human nature is one with Christian roots in seeking morality through introspection into the soul. Secular humanist morality, enjoying the benefits of selective amnesia of its own origins, indulges in mysticism and rejects scientific approaches to ethics to subjective sources of moral feeling and projecting the "reason" of an individual to the status of an objectively existing and omniscient deity, in which "principles" and "ideas" objectively exist (again, without ever questioning or seeking evidence for the existence of "moral principles" independent of a thinking person). In very much a religious sense, the thoughts and feelings of the agnostic atheists are projected onto the world as if they were objectively moral without basis in evidence. In so far as morality is derived from introspection based on feelings and not evidence, the agnostic atheist will claim that ethics is therefore very often considered "beyond" the scope of science.

In short, agnostic atheism is a coherent ideology built on a series of assumptions which act as dogma. In its limitations, Agnostic atheism substitutes "pure" reason for evidence, condemns religion from a position ignorance, and invents morality on openly anti-scientific basis in which the agnostic atheist substitutes their own reason and feeling for God and seeks to impose them on others as an objective and universal "morality".

For this reason, agnostic atheists are the greatest allies of religion that religious people could ever wish for, as for all their infuriating insinuations that there is no evidence or that religious belief is a logical fallacy, they have simply raised themselves to the status of god by projecting the egotistical reason and feelings as an objective qualities. They therefore defend the "spiritual" roots of religion in philosophical introspection rather than scientific and historical evidence. Agnostic atheists simply continue religious mysticism by holding themselves, their reason and moral feelings to be the standards by which everyone should be judged. Of course, as the mind and the soul are part of the non physical realm their qualification to make such a judgement is not built on evidence but is assumed as a "natural" condition, still masking the belief that man was created in gods image and is endowed with reason by their creator.

My question therefore is Does the fact that agnostic atheists are ignorant of the religious roots of secular humanism as a source for reason and moral feeling mean they are actually atheists? Or should they be treated as the allies of religious superstitution that they are?

Commence Trolling.:D
- An agnostic atheist is, by definition, an atheist who is agnostic.
- An atheist who is agnostic is an atheist.
- Therefore, an agnostic atheist is an atheist.

Anyone you're calling an "agnostic atheist" who isn't an atheist isn't an agnostic atheist.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

That is simply false.
@Laika, have you ever read Godel Escher Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
From Arthur N. Strahler, Understanding Science: An Introduction to Concepts and Issues:
In contrasting the Western religions with science, the most important criterion of distinction is that the supernatural or spiritual realm is unknowable in response to human attempts to gain knowledge of it in the same manner that humans gain knowledge of the natural realm (by experience).... Given this fiat by the theistic believers, science simply ignores the supernatural as being outside the scope of scientific inquiry. Scientists in effect are saying: "You religious believers set up your postulates as truths, and we take you at your word. By definition, you render your beliefs unassailable and unavailable." This attitude is not one of surrender, but simply an expression of the logical impossibility of proving the existence of something about which nothing can possibly be known through scientific investigation.
Quoted by Barbara Forrest in Methodological Naturalism and Philosophical Naturalism: Clarifying the Connection.

Jumi

Then it's not all of agnostic atheism, but a subset of it that you are addressing. Waiting on evidence or experience regarding any god definition remains an agnostic position.

The problem with this is that by saying it is impossible to prove or disprove the existence of God, this implies that God is "beyond" the realm of science.
Some, but not all defined gods are possible to prove and therefore disprove. IMO, it very much depends on if it's considered an active participant in our universe. A deistic god that "died" after creating the universe or became the body for the universe would be impossible to disprove.

Gods that exist outside of the physical, observable world and have no interaction with it are impossible to disprove. We might theorize an infinite amount of universes not our own completely full of gods one per cubic nanometer that aren't in touch with ours.

I would argue that disproving gods that have properties unrelated to those that are actually believed by believers is an exercise in futility. We could define a god, say as an elf that comes to your door every Monday morning when you're not looking. We could put up surveillance that shows that no god matching the description shows up at your door on a given Monday or any Monday at all. This would disprove a god, but is it worth disproving?

Which God are we talking about here? A monotheistic god? A pagan god? An ancestor as a god? Kim as a god? A human god?

Secondly, the very morality of which the agnostic atheist condemns religion is itself derived from religion; secular humanism did not have secular roots but developed out of Christianity.
I would argue that many positive values pre-existed or were replaced by Christian ones. It would be hard or probably impossible to create a new set of morals that no Christian or other religious person has ever held.

Not all agnostic atheists are secular humanists which makes the unquoted points above limited in scope.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
This tacitly implies that;

No, it does not. It only recognizes that there might or might not be phenomena that cannot be observed or studied. And more to the point the agnostic atheist position recognises that the very question of whether such phenomena exists is a question that cannot be answered through observation or study.

In fact, it is perfectly reasonable for an agnostic atheist to be of the opinion that such phenomena do not exist, while still acknowledging that this cannot be demonstrated empirically.

Laika

Premium Member
I'm not a secular humanist, but have utilitarian consequentialist normative ethics. I believe morals are only subjective in the universal sense that different people have different morals. I do believe there is an objective highest gain, lowest cost solution even if not all variables are known to make the best moral judgements. (Which is why moral judgements should be regularly challenged).
But what reason do I have to believe that secular humanism is tied to Christian roots? Seems like a ad hoc style argument.

Also I quite understand that there are natural theistic religions and there may be scientific evidences for the gods of those religions. But as I have not encountered those gods yet, or compelling evidences of those gods, I do not believe. Agnostic doesn't always mean 'cannot know,' but can also just mean 'doesn't know.'
I am a substance monist, however, and categorically reject the idea of souls and spirits. I personally don't even think substance dualism is even clearly defined enough to be debated, let alone believed.

Secular humanism has Christian roots. For anecdotal evidence, you can look at the US Declaration of Independence in which all men are "created" equal and endowed by their "creator" with certain inalienable rights. This does not mean that the US was founded consciously as a Christian nation, but if you read John Locke Two treaties on Government from which many of the constitutional ideas are derived, it is primarily a discussion was whether the "rights of Adam" as the first man on earth in the Genesis creation narrative belong to a "divine right of kings" or are a "natural right" belonging to man generally.

For the overlap between liberal secular humanism and Christianty more generally, see the link below in reference to natural law.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_law

Edit: you are correct in saying that agnosticism includes both don't know and cant know. However I would argue there is quite a strong relationship between the two because both are related to a theory of knowledge. "Don't know" is often closely connected with the view that "science" has not proven or disproven gods existence either way. This reflects not simply the "lack of evidence" but it's philosophical interpretation being limited to purely naturalistic explanations which excludes the existence of such evidence as a possibility.

Last edited:

Laika

Premium Member
That is simply false.
@Laika, have you ever read Godel Escher Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter?

No, I haven't heard of him. I had to look it up.

From Arthur N. Strahler, Understanding Science: An Introduction to Concepts and Issues:
Quoted by Barbara Forrest in Methodological Naturalism and Philosophical Naturalism: Clarifying the Connection.

Nice link. :)

I would strongly contest the argument that supernatural are by definition impossible to observe on the basis of enlightenment deism and natural theology as the application of reason and evidence to the question of gods existence. Historical evidence shows that attempts have been made.

The argument presented here is that supernaturalism's lack of methodology necessarily prevents evidence from being gathered regarding its existence. Given that the origins of 20th century natural science lie in 18th and 19th century natural philosophy, itself dating back to natural theology, if anything the very methods of science were developed to demonstrate religious explanations of phenomena. It was not until Darwin in the 19th century that science and religion were held to be philosophically in conflict with one another and even then it referee ONLY to the young earth creationism in the book of Genesis, not the natural theology in old earth creationism which uses different interpretation of scientific evidence to justify its conclusions. The fact that methodological naturalism is a system for interpretation of data among others demonstrates that it is not a neutral method and its success does not demonstrate its neutrality either. Arguing science has a methodological monopoly is an argument based on appealing to science as an authority with a monopoly on reason, inspite of conflicting evidence.

Claiming it is a logical impossibility to prove or disprove the existence of supernatural phenomena is therefore an extremely narrow and selective reading of the history of science and of its method, as it means treating the pre-Darwin relationship between science, philosophy and religion as nonexistent and fitting the historical record to fit with philosophical assumptions.

It is a circular argument of "there is no methodology for gaining evidence of the supernatural, therefore there is no evidence for the supernatural, therefore we have no data to construct a methodology for demonstrating it", etc. it specifically poses the wrong question of "is there evidence for God within the scientific method" and treats science as an unchanging and eternal product of reason when it instead has a historical evolution from religion and philosophy. Recognising that historical evolution means accepting that science is partially a man made and contains subjective assumptions and using the success of science neither demonstrates that it is wholly objective not that it is neutral. Using The success of science is an appeal to authority, particularly when science philosophy and religion are treated as mutually exclusive. Treating divine causation and natural causation as mutually exclusive is based on a philosophically loaded definition of what is and is not "natural".

Whilst the God of the Middle Ages and the God of Newton and Einstein are very different in terms of the limits of their power and the relationship between the supernatural and nature, it is not possible to say that science and religion are mutually exclusive intellectual endeavours. It is only the method- not the philosophical assumptions underlying it- that separate them.

(To get back to the OP) The agnosticism of agnostic atheism, in relation to methodological naturalism has common roots with religious forms of agnosticism that "God works in mysterious ways". Saying something is illogical is not the same as saying it is wrong when the evidence supports that conclusion. If logic takes precedent over evidence, it's definitely not "pure" science which can cliam to be wholly objective and neutral in its content. Evidence which doesn't fit into a model does not cease to exist on the basis of intellectual convinience.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

The very word "phenomenon" means something that can be observed. Perhaps you mean god is beyond phenomenon (i.e. as opposed to something like noumenon), which would be more reasonable (able to be supported by a reasoned argument based on observability).

My understanding of the agnostic is that they support a model of knowledge that doesn't allow for knowing the knower.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I would strongly contest the argument that supernatural are by definition impossible to observe on the basis of enlightenment deism and natural theology as the application of reason and evidence to the question of gods existence.
The issue has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not "supernatural are by definition impossible to observe" -- see, for example, the very entertaining Oh, God. If, on the other hand, you have knowledge of an effective protocol which would allow us to better understand an unconstrained and, therefore, unpredictable, preternatural please show us how it works.

gnostic

The Lost One
A deistic god that "died" after creating the universe or became the body for the universe would be impossible to disprove.
Or be impossible to prove...

It depends on how you view it, or what your stance are.

With one side not be able to disprove the existence of a deity (whether it is deistic or not), while the other side also can't prove, then you essentially have a stalemate, in which no one wins...except, perhaps the fence-sitters.

Gods that exist outside of the physical, observable world and have no interaction with it are impossible to disprove.
Again, also impossible to prove. Another stalemate.

Last edited:

Laika

Premium Member
The issue has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not "supernatural are by definition impossible to observe" -- see, for example, the very entertaining Oh, God. If, on the other hand, you have knowledge of an effective protocol which would allow us to better understand an unconstrained and, therefore, unpredictable, preternatural please show us how it works.

If it could be established that man created God, the question ceases to be asking a question which we cannot by definition answer, but instead asking "as there is no evidence for a diety, why did man create one?"

The problem with agnostic atheism is that it is stuck in a perpetual loop of saying their is neither a methodology nor evidence to demonstrate gods existence. Instead we need a method to demonstrate that human beings created God and that it is an illusion that is the result of a false consciousness of the world and that such a false consciousness is possible due to recognising the role human subjectivity plays in the formation of ideas. This involves a series of philosophical leaps, particularly that consciousness and its output in terms of ideas can be studied scientifically and objectively as a way of evaluating whether or not ideas are true reflections of reality.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Secular humanism has Christian roots. For anecdotal evidence, you can look at the US Declaration of Independence in which all men are "created" equal and endowed by their "creator" with certain inalienable rights. This does not mean that the US was founded consciously as a Christian nation, but if you read John Locke Two treaties on Government from which many of the constitutional ideas are derived, it is primarily a discussion was whether the "rights of Adam" as the first man on earth in the Genesis creation narrative belong to a "divine right of kings" or are a "natural right" belonging to man generally.

For the overlap between liberal secular humanism and Christianty more generally, see the link below in reference to natural law.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_law

Edit: you are correct in saying that agnosticism includes both don't know and cant know. However I would argue there is quite a strong relationship between the two because both are related to a theory of knowledge. "Don't know" is often closely connected with the view that "science" has not proven or disproven gods existence either way. This reflects not simply the "lack of evidence" but it's philosophical interpretation being limited to purely naturalistic explanations which excludes the existence of such evidence as a possibility.
Again, this is an ad hoc ergo propter hoc argument. Just because it came after does not mean it came because of. Because we know equity in civil rights as a concept and a practice existed both before and independently of Christianity in other places and at other times. There's no reason to conclude that secular humanity itself required Christianity to exist, or required a Christian belief system to be founded on.

Laika

Premium Member
Again, this is an ad hoc ergo propter hoc argument. Just because it came after does not mean it came because of. Because we know equity in civil rights as a concept and a practice existed both before and independently of Christianity in other places and at other times. There's no reason to conclude that secular humanity itself required Christianity to exist, or required a Christian belief system to be founded on.

If you are willing to assert that the relationship between Christianity and liberal secular humanism is coincidental and back it up I will go will debate it. you could do a lot worse than the US Declaration of Independence given all the founders asserted it was a secular document. I'd need to do some research to prove otherwise.

Jumi

Again, also impossible to prove. Another stalemate.
Right. I was addressing the confidence in the OP that "God can be disproven", when there are multiple definitions of gods that are by definition stalemates. One needs to first define the God we're talking about before proof can be presented. If it's the God I was raised to believe in, I'm certain it doesn't exist. The definition for that God had clear enough parts that the evidence doesn't fit. Other gods might or might not exist.