• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why agnostic atheism isn't atheism

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No. It's that Agnosticism and atheism are contradictory so an agnostic atheist is a contradiction in terms.
If you think you've established it, you should know that you haven't.

Recognising the possibility is practically the same as saying it exists. It establishes a confirmation bias where you can only prove God exists making it by definition impossible to disprove God because you always accept the possibility.

A strong agnostic who says we cannot know whether God exists must necessarily argue that God exists beyond the ability of our senses, perception and science to gain knowledge. This forms a connection between theism and agnosticism which means that agnostic atheism is intellectually closer to theism than to atheism.
So agnostics can't help but abandon their agnosticism and end up theists? If I was an agnostic, I'd be inclined to be insulted by your insinuation that agnostics are such poor thinkers.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If you want to tell ISIL they are "faking" belief in Allah and obedience of his law to surrender to aesthetical urges you are more than welcome to do so. I don't think they will take it very well. :D
You misunderstood me. Far from faking it, they take those matters way too seriously for anyone's good.

And that, of course, is a tragic if pathetic mistake.

Given the amount of bloodshed that has occurred throughout history as people asserted theirs was the one true faith, others were a heresy, etc, asserting that belief in a deity was never about knowledge or cosmic truth is definetely wrong.
Oh, the perception is often misconstrued that way. The subject matter itself, though? Not at all.

The conflicts between science and religion are evidence of a collision between different self-professed methodologies of knowledge.

Hardly. You need to remind yourself of what science is. And religion, of course, will only conflict with science when it loses its way, an admitteddy common occurrence, but still a mistake and not the purpose itself of religion.

[You contradict yourself by saying that atheism suffers from theists expectations btw. If theists never believed or wanted to believe their religion was true, atheism would not be a reaction to it.]
Because atheism would not have to exist at all. Oh, to think of such a simpler, saner world... maybe someday.

I won't push this point but rather give you a chance to clarify what you mean. I don't think the evidence supports your point that theism was never about truth or knowledge.
I stand by what I said. Theism is not only not about truth or knowledge; it is, by design, powerless to approach either. At its worst it also has delusions of being greater than both, and therefore is an impediment to seeking either.

Myth and lore are not truth or knowledge except to the degree that social support may enable them to function as a sometimes-substitute.

Of course, the panic of that realization does feed a lot of desperate denial, most obvious in the current days by the existence of so-called "Creationism". But that is just a perversion of religion, and not at all a necessary attribute of it.

Whatever standards we may apply to knowledge in our time remain relative in history and are subject to considerable evolution. I would feel comfortable arguing that establishing atheism as a knowledge cliam is a next step in that evolution, even if it requires a combination of philosophical arguments and scientific evidence to do so. It is necessary to open up more areas to scientific enquiry and put those aspects of religion which can be demonstrated to be superstition and false behind us.
But atheism, too, is not and has no interest whatsoever in knowledge claims. It is in fact the opposite: an appeal away from empty, distracting claims.

I'm not sure why you disagree. Maybe you are conflating atheism and science somehow. But they are in fact very different and independent things, albeit very compatible ones. They have little need nor ability to support each other.

Nor do I think I much agree with your understanding of religion, either, or of how it should relate to science.

For one thing, it feels naive to expect that religion will wait nicely for science to tell it which parts of it are to be considered false and superstitious. That can happen, but only if the religion is in a sorry, collapsing shape and/or by an ultimately futile use of repressive force (as best demonstrated by the Soviet Union and China).

Healthy religion will not be interested in playing Russian Roulette with subject matters that it is expected to value. Instead it, too, will develop some of the epistemological techniques that make science reliable, albeit with a decidedly more personal, even arbitrary, scope.

Laika

Premium Member
If you think you've established it, you should know that you haven't.

So agnostics can't help but abandon their agnosticism and end up theists? If I was an agnostic, I'd be inclined to be insulted by your insinuation that agnostics are such poor thinkers.

If you want me to meet a burden of proof, come up with specifics, quote my OP or any of the posts I have made in this thread and give me some substance to work with. If you want evidence, you have only to ask for some and I will oblige. But I can't read your mind and find out what you need unless you actually say so.

I have not said theists nor agnostics were poor thinkers. I am merely saying there is a logical and philosophical relationship between them that makes agnostic atheism self-contradictory. you are projecting an insult where there isn't one. if you can find an instance where I have, quote it and I'll apologise or clarify my meaning. eitherway, being offended doesn't make a difference if the argument is true.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If you want me to meet a burden of proof, come up with specifics, quote my OP or any of the posts I have made in this thread and give me some substance to work with. If you want evidence, you have only to ask for some and I will oblige. But I can't read your mind and find out what you need unless you actually say so.
I don't have a burden of proof; I'm saying that you haven't met yours.

As for specifics, I don't know where to start. You've got so many bad assumptions and mistakes of logic all knotted together that it's hard to tease out just one to deal with on its own.

I have not said theists nor agnostics were poor thinkers.
You argued that people who believe that God is possible necessarily end up believing that God exists, just by virtue of believing that he's possible. This would be poor thinking.

More to the point, though, it flies in the face of the facts. Here on RF, there are plenty of agnostics who haven't ended up as theists, disproving your argument. Even if you can't understand how they can avoid descending into theism, the fact that they have avoided this suggests that they can avoid it somehow.

Unfathomable Tao

Student of the Way
Saying an atheist cannot be an agnostic is making atheism more than it is. Simply a lack of god belief, or a rejection of deities in the most weak sense. I do get a little tired of 'new atheism', honestly. I do not believe in 'deities' or beings called 'gods'. Why am I not an atheist? If atheism now requires gnosticism, it actually has been made into a dogmatic acceptance.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Oh, right. I wish no one used that odd expression. There is no "new atheism". There is atheism, and there is anti-theism. Neither is new.

Unfathomable Tao

Student of the Way
Now what I'd like to know is when atheism became a worldview that adheres to 'scientism' as the OP mentioned, hinges on anti-religion, and other such notions? Agnostics are arguably the ones trying to defend real skepticism, if some of the gnostics are getting this precise.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Now what I'd like to know is when atheism became a worldview that adheres to 'scientism' as the OP mentioned, hinges on anti-religion, and other such notions?
Beats me. The atheism I know of is far less ambitious and far less motivated than that.

Agnostics are arguably the ones trying to defend real skepticism, if some of the gnostics are getting this precise.

Laika

Premium Member
I don't have a burden of proof; I'm saying that you haven't met yours.

As for specifics, I don't know where to start. You've got so many bad assumptions and mistakes of logic all knotted together that it's hard to tease out just one to deal with on its own.

You argued that people who believe that God is possible necessarily end up believing that God exists, just by virtue of believing that he's possible. This would be poor thinking.

More to the point, though, it flies in the face of the facts. Here on RF, there are plenty of agnostics who haven't ended up as theists, disproving your argument. Even if you can't understand how they can avoid descending into theism, the fact that they have avoided this suggests that they can avoid it somehow.

I am more than willing to meet your burden of proof if you give me something to aim for.

Start at the beginning and work your way through. I will read it if you put the effort in. I will reply in kind. We might then get somewhere.

A contradiction in reasoning is not the motive force for people changing their beliefs. It requires physical factors that determine a persons behaviour and thinking to become active. (That wasn't obvious so it's a fair point I did need to explain).

It's unlikely either of us will change our views in the course of this thread (as not everything we believe is down to choice) but we will at least have a better understanding of each other. That's a start at least if you want to try.

Laika

Premium Member
Now what I'd like to know is when atheism became a worldview that adheres to 'scientism' as the OP mentioned, hinges on anti-religion, and other such notions? Agnostics are arguably the ones trying to defend real skepticism, if some of the gnostics are getting this precise.

It's when atheism claims to be knowledge that is objectively true independent of whether people believe it or not. The fact that it would be true irrespective of whether someone agrees with it is what makes it prone to being anti-religious. In practice "false" ideas are often harmful, so if religion is false it is damaging to individuals and society.

The relationship to "scientism" is that in arguing knowledge of the existence or non existence of God is objectively true and can therefore be "scientifically" demonstrated in a science of religion or scientific atheism. However, scientism or "scientific materialism" uses a very different philosophy of knowledge to what is conventionally referred to as science. Karl popper defined science based on whether a hypothesis was falsifiable and claimed that scientist was unfalsifiable. This is why it is widely considered pseudoscience. (Respectfully, I would argue poppers criteria is ludicrous as scientific ideas aren't falsified but superseded by better models to explain and predict phenomena).

Agnostic atheism is when it is an individual belief or lack of belief that does not claim to be knowledge. It is more comparable with scepticism where as strong atheism is not as it treats the debate as essentially closed and scepticism as unnecessary.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
...The problem with agnosticism is that in practice it disempowered us by telling us knowledge of the world is impossible as it belongs to a mysterious plane of existence "beyond" the universe and our sense perception and scientific understanding.
I suppose I can see how you might cast 'the impossible' into a realm beyond what perception allows for knowledge, but it's also not necessary. What I think you've accomplished, then, is to put a name/substance to it, and as I indicated earlier it can (or, at least, should) have no name. If it has substance, it's possible, not impossible.

Unfathomable Tao

Student of the Way
It's when atheism claims to be knowledge that is objectively true independent of whether people believe it or not. The fact that it would be true irrespective of whether someone agrees with it is what makes it prone to being anti-religious. In practice "false" ideas are often harmful, so if religion is false it is damaging to individuals and society.

The relationship to "scientism" is that in arguing knowledge of the existence or non existence of God is objectively true and can therefore be "scientifically" demonstrated in a science of religion or scientific atheism. However, scientism or "scientific materialism" uses a very different philosophy of knowledge to what is conventionally referred to as science. Karl popper defined science based on whether a hypothesis was falsifiable and claimed that scientist was unfalsifiable. This is why it is widely considered pseudoscience. (Respectfully, I would argue poppers criteria is ludicrous as scientific ideas aren't falsified but superseded by better models to explain and predict phenomena).

Agnostic atheism is when it is an individual belief or lack of belief that does not claim to be knowledge. It is more comparable with scepticism where as strong atheism is not as it treats the debate as essentially closed and scepticism as unnecessary.

A) I'll confess I don't know how one could claim to know objectively a god existed or didn't exist. I'm skeptical of objectivity to begin with. I'm skeptical about a lot- ha ha ha :D

B) I'll grant you that science may one day be able to verify there isn't a god. I just don't speak as certainly I suppose, about things currently beyond verification, which is what agnosticism in essence is. To disprove god would require going down the list of god claims and their attributes, as well as being able to 'prove' there isn't a substance we don't know about. I think I have to be agnostic given what of god claims can actually be verified. If I said I had evidence no god existed, I think that'd be dishonest, though I'll grant- some ideas of deity certainly can pretty well be dismissed.

C) Yes that is true, I'm just not certain how gnostics speak so certainly. God being the kind of knowledge claim it is, and currently unverifiable in many senses- wouldn't tossing the baby out with the bath water as it were be akin to belief? One doesn't want to think or consider a god is possible, so they make a leap and outright reject it?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I am more than willing to meet your burden of proof if you give me something to aim for.

Start at the beginning and work your way through. I will read it if you put the effort in. I will reply in kind. We might then get somewhere.

Okay - starting with the first statement in your OP that I disagree with:

By "agnostic atheism" I refer to those who say on the one hand there is no evidence for God whilst saying it is impossible to know that God can or cannot exist either way.

This is an incorrect description of agnostic atheism:

- declaring yourself to be an atheist or agnostic isn't necessary to be an atheist or agnostic.
- it's incorrect to phrase statements about atheism and agnosticism in terms of "God" and not "gods".
- atheists don't necessarily believe that there is "no evidence". An atheist doesn't necessarily speak to evidence generally, and doesn't necessarily even believe that none of the evidence he's seen supports gods - it's possible to be an atheist and believe that evidence for gods exists, but it's outweighed by evidence against gods.
- agnostics don't necessarily say that it's impossible to know whether gods exist; some agnostics believe that the existence of gods is unknowable given what we know now and don't make assumptions about what we'll know in the future.

... so that's for starters.

Acim

Revelation all the time
- it's incorrect to phrase statements about atheism and agnosticism in terms of "God" and not "gods".
- atheists don't necessarily believe that there is "no evidence". An atheist doesn't necessarily speak to evidence generally, and doesn't necessarily even believe that none of the evidence he's seen supports gods - it's possible to be an atheist and believe that evidence for gods exists, but it's outweighed by evidence against gods.
- agnostics don't necessarily say that it's impossible to know whether gods exist; some agnostics believe that the existence of gods is unknowable given what we know now and don't make assumptions about what we'll know in the future.

... so that's for starters.

Interesting you can use the words "God" and not "gods" without explaining the concept. Observably not challenging what the concept even means in this thread. Just understood, I think, what everyone must be referring to.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
I would like to apologise in advance for starting *yet another atheism* thread but I am going to try and demolish it in one go. Some of the arguments here are fairly obscure coming from the *cough* militant atheist rather than the theist side so it will be a little different than usual.

In order to defend the atheism of de Sade, Nietzsche and Stalin as the terrifying antagonist to religious belief, in which freedom from superstition and morality may proceed to its inevitable, malevolent and yet deeply satisfying conclusion, it is necessary to expose the pretenders as an insult to the intelligence of theists and atheists alike. So I will assert that there are no agnostic atheists: They are just agnostics. And now I will try to prove it. Muhahahaha!

By "agnostic atheism" I refer to those who say on the one hand there is no evidence for God whilst saying it is impossible to know that God can or cannot exist either way.

The problem with this is that by saying it is impossible to prove or disprove the existence of God, this implies that God is "beyond" the realm of science. This tacitly implies that;

1) there is indeed some pheneomena which cannot be observed or studied
2) and therefore there are at least two realms of knowledge: knowledge of the physical world which can be known by science and knowledge of a non-physical world which cannot be known by science.

Both of these positions are necessary for a belief in God as something that is inferred as existing in a non physical realm accessible by methods other than science. In this agnostic atheism betrays it's true origins in religious belief.

Typically agnostics atheists will attack scientism as an over-evaluation of science whilst failing to grasp the contradiction in seeking to find evidence for the existence of God as a "scientific" approach whilst assuming that God is unknowable. In essence, they have set themselves a task which is by definition impossible. Agnostic atheism is a self contradictory and self refuting belief.

The agnosticism is not a product of science or even evidence, but of philosophical assumptions about the nature of reality and what can and cannot be known. By saying "we cannot know God" we have established a position that falls outside of the scope of the scientific method. It cannot by definition be based on evidence.

Agnostic atheists often go much further than this however and rewrite the history on the debate over the existence of God to suit the assumption that knowledge of God is impossible.
Very often, they will attack religious belief as dogmatic or irrational whilst failing to recognise that religious belief is not based on revelation alone. They will insist that religion is equivalent to blind faith in authority derived from relevation and will say that it is impossible for religious belief to be based on reason or evidence. This reductionist concept of religion means that they are often more literalist and fundamentalist in their interpretation of religious scriptures than many believers. For the agnostic-atheist, who understands religious experience purely in terms of revelation, it is enough to find a single line in a religious text to condemn that religion as immoral.

By doing so the agnostic atheists are taking another self-refuting position: they categorically fail to examine the history of religion or its theology or the scope for interpretation instead asserting that the burden of proof falls on the theist. An agnostic atheist can, from a position of ignorance, therefore condemn a religion without the use of evidence. The belief in the impossibility of knowledge of God quickly evolved into a belief that it is unnecessary for them to actually have knowledge about a religion. The reductionist treatment of religion is not only a slander against Christianity, Islam and Judaism as the dominant scriptural traditions but fails to examine the diversity of religious belief based on eliminating monotheistic religions as competitors to their "reason". Yet they utterly fail to recognise the existence of natural theology or deism as the use of reason to demonstrate the existence of God. For agnostic-atheists, reason must be the supreme authority, a stick with which to condemn others, accuse them of logical fallacy and otherwise "chose" which evidence they consider relevant to the discussion. they-and only they- may determine what is and is not evidence and what is the correct interpretation of that evidence without ever recognising the contradiction between believing knowledge of God is impossible and seeking evidence for the existence of God. It is inevitable in these such discussions, that they will defend their agnosticism by rejecting any and all evidence presented to them as the victims of their own assumptions.

Secondly, the very morality of which the agnostic atheist condemns religion is itself derived from religion; secular humanism did not have secular roots but developed out of Christianity. The view that morality derives from human nature is one with Christian roots in seeking morality through introspection into the soul. Secular humanist morality, enjoying the benefits of selective amnesia of its own origins, indulges in mysticism and rejects scientific approaches to ethics to subjective sources of moral feeling and projecting the "reason" of an individual to the status of an objectively existing and omniscient deity, in which "principles" and "ideas" objectively exist (again, without ever questioning or seeking evidence for the existence of "moral principles" independent of a thinking person). In very much a religious sense, the thoughts and feelings of the agnostic atheists are projected onto the world as if they were objectively moral without basis in evidence. In so far as morality is derived from introspection based on feelings and not evidence, the agnostic atheist will claim that ethics is therefore very often considered "beyond" the scope of science.

In short, agnostic atheism is a coherent ideology built on a series of assumptions which act as dogma. In its limitations, Agnostic atheism substitutes "pure" reason for evidence, condemns religion from a position ignorance, and invents morality on openly anti-scientific basis in which the agnostic atheist substitutes their own reason and feeling for God and seeks to impose them on others as an objective and universal "morality".

For this reason, agnostic atheists are the greatest allies of religion that religious people could ever wish for, as for all their infuriating insinuations that there is no evidence or that religious belief is a logical fallacy, they have simply raised themselves to the status of god by projecting the egotistical reason and feelings as an objective qualities. They therefore defend the "spiritual" roots of religion in philosophical introspection rather than scientific and historical evidence. Agnostic atheists simply continue religious mysticism by holding themselves, their reason and moral feelings to be the standards by which everyone should be judged. Of course, as the mind and the soul are part of the non physical realm their qualification to make such a judgement is not built on evidence but is assumed as a "natural" condition, still masking the belief that man was created in gods image and is endowed with reason by their creator.

My question therefore is Does the fact that agnostic atheists are ignorant of the religious roots of secular humanism as a source for reason and moral feeling mean they are actually atheists? Or should they be treated as the allies of religious superstitution that they are?

Commence Trolling.:D

I think we have some common ground then, I'm only skeptical of one more version of atheism than you are!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Interesting you can use the words "God" and not "gods" without explaining the concept. Observably not challenging what the concept even means in this thread. Just understood, I think, what everyone must be referring to.
Are you planning to troll me and quote every post I make with the word "god" in it?