• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whose Ego Benefits from Believing One's Own Religion is the Only True Religion?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Whose ego benefits from believing one's own religion is the only true religion? God's? The Follower's? Humanity's? The clergy's? Someone else's?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Whose ego benefits from believing one's own religion is the only true religion? God's? The Follower's? Humanity's? The clergy's? Someone else's?

It benefits the person with the ego, gives them the impression 'my religion is best so i too must be best'

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Nobody's ego benefits. A healthy ego is not based upon yourself being right and everyone else being wrong. That's what an unhealthy ego does. It seeks to overcompensate for a lack of self-acceptance and love. It's a sad attempt at self-validation, without actual self examination. "God says I'm good, so f-off you sinners. I'm saved, and you're not." :(

74x12

It's not about ego for me. I just believe it. I believe I'm nothing without God's mercy. I believe I'm a very poor example of Christian. But I believe what I believe. No one has convinced me otherwise. Jesus is the fisher. That means the fish did nothing to be caught; the fish accomplished nothing. They were only caught in the net. God did everything. There is no way for the saved to boast if that's true.

As for God having pride or ego. No, we don't know how He makes His choice but it's not that.
. "God says I'm good, so f-off you sinners. I'm saved, and you're not."
Classic holier than thou type. It's not okay.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Every human's ego. Some with pride identify themselves as totally right. Some with pride define themselves as totally right by saying such believers are wrong. Some with pride define themselves as not falling into the trap of either alternative.

God? God has a very good universal laugh at the funniest of all: people because God is in everyone and enjoys the cosmic humor of creation from inside.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Nobody's ego benefits. A healthy ego is not based upon yourself being right and everyone else being wrong. That's what an unhealthy ego does. It seeks to overcompensate for a lack of self-acceptance and love. It's a sad attempt at self-validation, without actual self examination. "God says I'm good, so f-off you sinners. I'm saved, and you're not." :(
That (unhealthy) ego is the one originating in insecurity.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I consider ego the equivalent of false pride and nobody benefits from that.

The trouble with questions of morals and religions is that they are artificial constructs.

Morals are basic virtues. Everyone should reason it out for themselves. Don't rely on religion use common language.

If you're not proving things out for yourself then you are using religion as a crutch.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Exactly.

chinu

chinu
Whose ego benefits from believing one's own religion is the only true religion?
Of course.
But, when any such person will come to inform about this, further a new question will arise.

New question will be:
Why you came to inform me about this ?

Therefore, its better NOT to disclose.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Ego plays a significant role.

Its no secret that some people like the sound of their own preaching. Having their name conspicuously displayed in bold type. That 16 part series on cd and ones picture on massive billboards.

It begs the question If a person believes in their own words or someone elses in regards to whats considered true or not, much less the only truth.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

I do not think anyone's ego should benefit but maybe sometimes it does if people insist.
I am sure that what I believe is true, but I do not inflict my certitude upon others......

I cannot believe that only one religion is right.
I cannot believe only religious people are right.
I cannot believe only believers are right.

Given I do not like to take a stance.....
I am not really embraced by the believers, but I am not really embraced by atheists either.
I am like a man without a country, except that I am a woman. :( :)