• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's fault the country is divided? You might be surprised. Or Not.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns

It's hard to discuss it without an example. I'm familiar with CNN, which I would expect to be more biased than NPR. During the violent demonstrations over the summer, on CNN, I repeatedly heard populist, nationalist, authoritarian. Approaching the election they added supported by white supremecists. After the election they added delusional and desperate.
reading both of these posts and among other posts I realize I have no clue what news source to watch or read...All I watched in regards to the news living with my grandma was Fox which I could tell was exteremely biased. Does anyone on here know of any reliable news sources or at least how to tell when a source is being biased?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
reading both of these posts and among other posts I realize I have no clue what news source to watch or read...All I watched in regards to the news living with my grandma was Fox which I could tell was exteremely biased. Does anyone on here know of any reliable news sources or at least how to tell when a source is being biased?
I still like Reuters and AP. For how long I dunno, but they still come across atm as being ethical and posses journalistic integrity.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Start here:
https://www.adfontesmedia.com/wp-co...2021-Unlicensed-Social-Media_Hi_Res-min-1.jpg
Now I won't tell you how to spot actual bias, but rather how to learn to spot based on comparing. If you pick 3 news sources. One center reliable, one left biased enough and one right biased enough and start comparing, then you can learn to spot the 2 obvious ones first - left and right. If you then continue and start reading some critical analysis from both a left and right source on the biases of the center, you can then learn that even the center has a bias.

So here is the end game. If you do this long enough and deep enough, you can learn that we all have biases. I have them and you have. But I at least for some of them know they are biases and that I have them.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Bear in mind that 2020 saw violence & racism on both sides,
with the left exhibiting more. The claimed support by white
supremacists is more of a left invention than a reality in terms
of numbers on the right.
Was NPR pushing the white supremacist connection?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I thought this was interesting:

ScientificAmerican.com - Why Social Media Makes Us More Polarized and How to Fix It

The problem of partisan bias is exacerbated on social media because online networks are often organized around a few key influencers. This feature of social media is one of the main reasons why misinformation and fake news has become so pervasive. In centralized networks, biased influencers have a disproportionate impact on their community—enabling small rumors and suppositions to become amplified into widespread misconceptions and false beliefs.​

Interesting article, although it didn't shed much light on who these supposed "influencers" are.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yes, they do that regularly. But they pay little attention
to Christian nationalism, which I think is a much larger
component of the right wing threat.
I agree that the Christian nationalists are a bigger threat, but I would be willing to bet that most white supremacists are also Christian nationalists.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Bear in mind that 2020 saw violence & racism on both sides,
with the left exhibiting more. The claimed support by white
supremacists is more of a left invention than a reality in terms
of numbers on the right.

I don't know if it's necessarily an "invention" of the left, since the country was essentially founded on white supremacy (among other things). I can't say what the reality as far as the numbers on the right who actually believe that. Since it was such a prominent aspect of US history for so long - and so many people went along with it and were conditioned to think in those terms, it's understandable that there would still be suspicion and underlying fears that such ideas could gain prominence again.

Of course, I always thought it was absurd to compare any American to Hitler or fascists - regardless of how racist they happen to be.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I balked at the statement that NPR was frightening people that Trump was Hitler. The comparisson seems to be coming from social media.

NPR, from what I can tell, reports facts, provides context, and discourages comparing Trump to Hitler. Social media reinforces stereotypes, ignores or omits context, and encouraged comparing Trump to Hitler.
I listen to NPR everynight

they do toss the word....alledged .....
aimed to negate viewpoints
often to downplay statements by Trump

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't know if it's necessarily an "invention" of the left, since the country was essentially founded on white supremacy (among other things).
Things aren't always what they once were.
Remember that Democrats were the pro-slavery party.
They've moved past that...mostly

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Things aren't always what they once were.
Remember that Democrats were the pro-slavery party.
They've moved past that...mostly
yeah well.....we are all slave to the paycheck

the country is divided.....the have's
and the have not's

Thief

Rogue Theologian
You mean we must work in order to force people to give us money?
I can't wait til we become a non-worker's paradise, & get paid to not work.
there is a class of nonworkers...that qualify for what seems permanent assistance

but to FORCE a paycheck to my direction????????

I would vote for that party!

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Any online source of news might be judged by the quality of the comments, and hence perhaps reflecting the readership (not always), but not sure this helps since one might be tempted to view such as being 'my people'. The problem tends to be that the information one might be seeking is often buried in swathes of text, and often making one think, which is obviously not what much of the more popular media actually wants us to do. :oops: