• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who wrote the book of Genesis?

gnostic

The Lost One
outhouse said:
In Sumerian and Babylonian mythology, Adamu was the first man. The gods tricked Adamu and his descendants out of immortality - not wanting man to be immortal like the gods - by telling him that the magic food of eternal life was poisonous to him, and as such Adamu didn't eat it and so didn't become immortal.

Ok, I think I know who you are talking about. I have not read everything, and I still trying to piece together all the myths (and literature).

I know of the Akkadian/Babylonian Adapa, one of the 7 sages. Adapa was a favorite of Ea (Enki), but this god tricked him from eating the food of Anu, that would have made him immortal.

Perhaps this Adapa is the same as your Sumerian Adamu.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
My idea is the Genesis was accredited to Moses since during the older times there were no knowledge of writing. Moses learn writing in Egypt when all the during the slavery of Israelites. GOd tells everything to Moses what he will write in the wilderness. Even God uses thunder to write the commandments on the rock during Moses times.

Would this mean the original Ten Commandments were written in Egyptian?

outhouse

Atheistically
Ok, I think I know who you are talking about. I have not read everything, and I still trying to piece together all the myths (and literature).

I know of the Akkadian/Babylonian Adapa, one of the 7 sages. Adapa was a favorite of Ea (Enki), but this god tricked him from eating the food of Anu, that would have made him immortal.

Perhaps this Adapa is the same as your Sumerian Adamu.

its not Adapa

the Lost Book of Enki

heres tablet 6 [link above]

http://www.thelivingmoon.com/42stargate/02documents/Sasha02.html

HYBRID, UNLIKE NIBIRAN ONLY BY FORESKIN, CONED The baby, Adamu [One Who's Like Earth's Clay] had smooth, dark red blood-colored skin and black-hair. His penis differed from that of a Nibiran baby. "They looked at its malehood; odd was its shape, by a skin was its forepart surrounded, unlike that of Anunnaki malehood it was. 'Let the Earthling from us Anunnaki by this foreskin be distinguished.' So was Enki saying." [Sitchin, Z., 2002, The Lost Book of Enki page 139]

Last edited:

gnostic

The Lost One
diosangpastol said:
Thanks for the correction. But how about my qoute about Moises was accredited on Genesis writing ? Is it also correct as our preachers have thought ?

Sure, I am aware of the tradition that credited Moses as the author of Genesis. However, like other scholars and experts (and I don't claim to be biblical expert or scholar), I don't think or believe that Moses was the original author.

Before I had even known about the Documentary Hypothesis, I had strong feeling that the creation story were written by least 2 writers. The six-day creation of Genesis 1 and the story of Adam and Cain, seemed to be 2 different creation myths.

I had only known about Documentary Hypothesis only a year or 2 before I had joined RF (which is 2006). But I had doubts about the Genesis authorship far longer than that (late teen or early 20s, which is 20 years or more).

Anyway, "accredited" or "attributed" only referred to as being "possible" author.

And the problem is that the Genesis, particularly that of the creation and flood stories, seemed to be a borrowing of the myths are known to exist in ancient Canaan. More specifically, the Middle Babylonian literature can be found in Megiddo, one of the more prominent Bronze Age cities.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Who was it that knew " God created the heavens and earth in 6 days" and passed the eyewitness testimony down?

Who is the author or eyewitness to the Genesis events?

The accounts given in the first 6 chapters or so of Genesis were probably oral traditions that had been passed down for generations. It probably would have been around the time of the Judges, or the first Kings in Israel, that Genesis was written down. By whom, we cannot say for sure. But it is probable that Moses did not write it.

Ben Masada

Who was it that knew " God created the heavens and earth in 6 days" and passed the eyewitness testimony down?

Who is the author or eyewitness to the Genesis events?

IMHO, I am almost sure that the writer of the book of Genesis, except for some fragments found and transmitted from mouth to mouth, was Ezra, the most famous Scribe in the History of Israel. And he put the Scriptures together after the return of the Jews from their 70 years exile in Babylon. That's what explains the New Covenant prophesied by Jeremiah in 31:31. Baruch the Spinoza, whose epithet was the Prince of Philosophers and a man intoxicated with God, said that Ezra must have written nearly all the Torah and the Ketuvim or historical books. Then, the five books of Torah were attributed to Moses, giving his importance in the restoration of Israel back into the Land of their fathers. It was from this method that the Hellenistic Gentiles plagiarized as they wrote the books of the NT and attributed them to the Apostles of Jesus.

Moses was told by God what happened in the begining. How else would he know it? Remember when the Lord met with Moses on the mountain and gave him the commandments? He gave him more than just that. Read Exodus 24 just to get an idea.

John 8:32
thecomforter.info

outhouse

Atheistically
IMHO, I am almost sure that the writer of the book of Genesis, except for some fragments found and transmitted from mouth to mouth, was Ezra, the most famous Scribe in the History of Israel. And he put the Scriptures together after the return of the Jews from their 70 years exile in Babylon. That's what explains the New Covenant prophesied by Jeremiah in 31:31. Baruch the Spinoza, whose epithet was the Prince of Philosophers and a man intoxicated with God, said that Ezra must have written nearly all the Torah and the Ketuvim or historical books. Then, the five books of Torah were attributed to Moses, giving his importance in the restoration of Israel back into the Land of their fathers. It was from this method that the Hellenistic Gentiles plagiarized as they wrote the books of the NT and attributed them to the Apostles of Jesus.

how do you explain away that most scholars today attribute 4 authors and a redactor?

outhouse

Atheistically
Moses was told by God what happened in the begining. How else would he know it? Remember when the Lord met with Moses on the mountain and gave him the commandments? He gave him more than just that. Read Exodus 24 just to get an idea.

John 8:32
thecomforter.info

do you even know what language moses would have used to write with?

You do know moses predates writing by 300-500 years dont you??

do you understand the fables were told around campfires for hundreds of years adding and taking away what there particular tribe felt like?? before they were written down.

esmith

Veteran Member
I agree with the consensus that the book of Genesis was written/compiled by redactor/redactors. If one would look at the writings of the bible as ancient Israelites, without your present knowledge you can see that it is a great work of literary accomplishment. The ancient Jewish people were the only monotheistic religion in the Ancient Near East. Take a look at the 2 creation stories, it is quite obvious that these two accounts are what is considered demythologizing. The Jewish and Canaanites both spoke a Semitic language and both Jews and Canaanites spoke the same language just different dialects. The author/authors of the creation stories were making a conscientious avoidance of words that refer to pagan deities. In the story the sun and moon are referred to as the "greater light and the lesser light". Reason is that the Hebrew words for Sun and Moon are the same words that the Canaanite's used for their Sun and Moon gods. Also notice that the 7th day is only referred to as "made it holy" because Shabbat (Sabbath in English) is the Hebrew word for the planet Saturn (Saturday) and the planets were deities in Canaanite religion.
So what the original author did was to take another mythical story , possibly the Enuma Elish or another of the many creation stories, and convert it to a monotheistic theology. So as I see it Genesis was a excellent literary work, whoever the redactor was.

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
Who wrote the book of Genesis?

Okay, that was me. I wrote it. What did ya'll think? Did you like the part with the talking snake and the naked chick? Pretty cool, huh? Oh, and what about the part where God has Adam name all the living creatures on the planet? At first, I was going to make a list, alphetically organized, with every single living organism named on it. But I got to the "Beet Webworm" and even having just gone through one and a half letters, I had already compiled, like, ten gazillion freakin' names. So, I said, 'screw this, crap,' and decided to have God destroy the whole planet with a flood. Wacky. But, hey, it's a best seller. Just goes to show you there is no rational explanation for the stuff that some people will buy.

outhouse

Atheistically
I agree with the consensus that the book of Genesis was written/compiled by redactor/redactors. If one would look at the writings of the bible as ancient Israelites, without your present knowledge you can see that it is a great work of literary accomplishment. The ancient Jewish people were the only monotheistic religion in the Ancient Near East. Take a look at the 2 creation stories, it is quite obvious that these two accounts are what is considered demythologizing. The Jewish and Canaanites both spoke a Semitic language and both Jews and Canaanites spoke the same language just different dialects. The author/authors of the creation stories were making a conscientious avoidance of words that refer to pagan deities. In the story the sun and moon are referred to as the "greater light and the lesser light". Reason is that the Hebrew words for Sun and Moon are the same words that the Canaanite's used for their Sun and Moon gods. Also notice that the 7th day is only referred to as "made it holy" because Shabbat (Sabbath in English) is the Hebrew word for the planet Saturn (Saturday) and the planets were deities in Canaanite religion.
So what the original author did was to take another mythical story , possibly the Enuma Elish or another of the many creation stories, and convert it to a monotheistic theology. So as I see it Genesis was a excellent literary work, whoever the redactor was.

exactly

it is a mesh of many stolen mythologys

much of it coming from previous pagan myths and a bulk from the sumerians