• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who wants to live forever? Kushner does

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Ah yes, the singularity

Interesting how people cling to their sense of self so much. It's a useful tool for preservation of the species, but it can manifest into something ugly later on. Promises of an afterlife via science or gods both seem to have the same idea at their roots - they both seem to be planted firmly in egotism and main character syndrome

I'm most likely unfairly charactarizing things - not everyone feels this way. But generally? Most people speak about death in terms of fear and sorrow. They want a way out

Heyo

Veteran Member
Evidently Jared Kushner does
Jared Kushner says he's been trying to keep his body in shape because he might one day become immortal

Come on...are we serious?
Considering another atheist called Harari writes in his book that someday people will develop a biotechnology that enables immortality.
Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow - Wikipedia
Timothy Leary formulated three goals for humans to advance, Life Extension is one of them, Space Migration and Intelligence Increase the others, making up the acronym SMI²LE.
I think they are worthwhile.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I'm most likely unfairly charactarizing things - not everyone feels this way. But generally? Most people speak about death in terms of fear and sorrow. They want a way out

I am a rational person and I believe in Evolution.
I think that man has already developed that self-awareness, after millennia of evolution.

It also depend on how one was raised.
I was brought up to accept death as a natural part of life since I was a little kid.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yes, this transhumanist nonsense is a bit of a cult among certain elitist types. It's just craziness and anti-human. It's just eugenics and old fashioned hubris under another name. The joke's on them, since we already live forever. You just have to die first, and they can't stand that. But they're still going to die. Lol.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Timothy Leary formulated three goals for humans to advance, Life Extension is one of them, Space Migration and Intelligence Increase the others, making up the acronym SMI²LE.
I think they are worthwhile.
Immortality implies that we need to have zero percent birth rate first.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I am a rational person and I believe in Evolution.
I think that man has already developed that self-awareness, after millennia of evolution.

It also depend on how one was raised.
I was brought up to accept death as a natural part of life since I was a little kid.

Well, like I said it was probably an unfair charactarization. I don't think all people who believe or want afterlives feel this way. Then again, there definitely are many who do. Putting one's self aside and considering things outside of the self requires a lot of thought that people don't want to entertain. That takes time, and time is limited

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Well, like I said it was probably an unfair charactarization. I don't think all people who believe or want afterlives feel this way. Then again, there definitely are many who do. Putting one's self aside and considering things outside of the self requires a lot of thought that people don't want to entertain. That takes time, and time is limited

Surely. It seems to me that they want to defy biochemistry since we all know our cells, the unit of life are made up of molecules that follow carbon chemistry. A kind of organic chemistry which is ephemeral.
It's not like eternal elements like iron, silver, gold...

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Yes.. there is a part of me that hungers for the ability to project my consciousness into another human being and override who they are… or at the very least, a computer or a machine… so that I might perpetuate my existence even further when this body one day reaches its limit, and expand the window of opportunity I have to influence this world and achieve all I wish to achieve.

Then I remember… that death is a mercy- the greatest mercy- and I would not wish to be trapped in a mind prison controlled by other human beings, and I would not wish that my one guaranteed release from this beautiful yet terrible world be taken away from me.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think some life extension with better quality of life might be desirable. In fact, with science we have already extended life expectancy.

I happen to believe in the beauty of the afterlife, so I am content with just small improvements to health and life expectancy. I really feel those that have tasted the afterlife in the Near Death Experience feel that is an improvement over physical life.

Last edited:

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Yes.. there is a part of me that hungers for the ability to project my consciousness into another human being and override who they are… or at the very least, a computer or a machine… so that I might perpetuate my existence even further when this body one day reaches its limit, and expand the window of opportunity I have to influence this world and achieve all I wish to achieve.

Then I remember… that death is a mercy- the greatest mercy- and I would not wish to be trapped in a mind prison controlled by other human beings, and I would not wish that my one guaranteed release from this beautiful yet terrible world be taken away from me.

You a Warhammer fan? Your post reminds me of the Emporer of Mankind. A life drawn out unnaturally long seems unseemly to me

8ylymcevrei81.jpg

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Immortality implies that we need to have zero percent birth rate first.
I highly doubt they will allow the common people to have access to such technology, if it ever came into existence. They'll hoard it for themselves and then run off to an exclusive colony on another planet/moon/space vessels, while everyone else is left to toil as slaves on a dystopian garbage dump (Earth). We're viewed as cattle by these...creatures.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I think some life extension with better quality of life might be desirable. In fact, with science we have already extended life expectancy.

I happen to believe in the beauty of the afterlife, so I am content with just small improvements to health and life expectancy. I really feel those that have tasted the afterlife in the Near Death Experience feel that is an improvement over physical life.

-You will die...it will be awful.
- Every man dies. Not every man really lives...

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The ultimate goal would be to die when one is ready. One could easily live out several of our present lifetimes, but sooner or later life would no longer be a joy. At that time death would be a welcome respite.