• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who wants to live forever? Kushner does

RestlessSoul

Timothy Leary formulated three goals for humans to advance, Life Extension is one of them, Space Migration and Intelligence Increase the others, making up the acronym SMI²LE.
I think they are worthwhile.

Timothy Leary was a very interesting character, but since he was an enthusiastic consumer of, and advocate for, the most powerful mind altering substance ever available to humans, I'm inclined to regard his opinions with some suspicion.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Timothy Leary was a very interesting character, but since he was an enthusiastic consumer of, and advocate for, the most powerful mind altering substance ever available to humans, I'm inclined to regard his opinions with some suspicion.
And if I remember somewhat accurately, some followers of his jumped out of windows thinking they could fly. I think the law of gravity took over.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Evidently Jared Kushner does
Jared Kushner says he's been trying to keep his body in shape because he might one day become immortal

Come on...are we serious?
Considering another atheist called Harari writes in his book that someday people will develop a biotechnology that enables immortality.
Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow - Wikipedia
God enables immortality, but not in the same physical body. Who would want to live in a physical body forever? Not me.

He will live forever, but not in the same physical body. I guess he doesn't read the Bible.
We are all going to get spiritual bodies after we die. Those bodies will be different from physical bodies.

1 Corinthians 15 says that there are two different kinds of bodies:

--- The glory of the heavenly bodies is different from the glory of the earthly bodies.
--- For just as there are natural bodies, there are also spiritual bodies, which are different.

Our physical bodies cannot inherit the Kingdom of God which is in Heaven. These dying bodies cannot inherit what will last forever is referring to Heaven, which will last forever. Our physical bodies will die and we will be raised (resurrected) as spiritual bodies that will be suited to go to Heaven and live forever.

1 Corinthians 15:40-54 New Living Translation

40 There are also bodies in the heavens and bodies on the earth. The glory of the heavenly bodies is different from the glory of the earthly bodies.

44 They are buried as natural human bodies, but they will be raised as spiritual bodies. For just as there are natural bodies, there are also spiritual bodies.

50 What I am saying, dear brothers and sisters, is that our physical bodies cannot inherit the Kingdom of God. These dying bodies cannot inherit what will last forever.

51 But let me reveal to you a wonderful secret. We will not all die, but we will all be transformed!

54 Then, when our dying bodies have been transformed into bodies that will never die,[c] this Scripture will be fulfilled: “Death is swallowed up in victory.[d]

Read full chapter

See how similar the Baha'i writings are to the Bible.

“The answer to the third question is this, that in the other world the human reality doth not assume a physical form, rather doth it take on a heavenly form, made up of elements of that heavenly realm.”

Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 194

YoursTrue

The Bible says at Revelation 21:1-5 that there is to be "new heaven and a new EARTH," where righteousness is to be.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Evidently Jared Kushner does
Jared Kushner says he's been trying to keep his body in shape because he might one day become immortal

Come on...are we serious?
Considering another atheist called Harari writes in his book that someday people will develop a biotechnology that enables immortality.
Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow - Wikipedia
Religion vs science. Which is more likely to find the means to extend your/human life?

Place your bets.:D

Of course I wouldn't assume it to happen in my lifetime with science. :oops:
So the odds maybe slightly better with religion if you are over 20?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I wouldn't mind living a bit longer then the average 70-80 years.
But "forever"? No thanks.
I would not want to live forever either, certainly not in a life such as earthly life.
I'm not sure I would even want to live forever in heaven, but I cannot know that till I get there. I could change my mind.

However, as it stands now, just the thought of existing forever is not appealing to me as forever is a long time!
Imagine landing on the afterlife landing strip and being stuck in the afterlife forever with no way to buy a return ticket. :eek:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yes, this transhumanist nonsense is a bit of a cult among certain elitist types. It's just craziness and anti-human. It's just eugenics and old fashioned hubris under another name. The joke's on them, since we already live forever. You just have to die first, and they can't stand that. But they're still going to die. Lol.
One day your the cat. Next day your the mouse.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I guess it depends on how life goes. Yet living forever seems a givin as the universe dynamically deconstructs and reuses its assets.

YoursTrue

That's true, but what does that have to do with living forever?
Here is more of that section, please notice verse 4, where it says death will be no more.
"Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
So if you notice it says death will be no more. Neither will crying or pain.

YoursTrue

I would not want to live forever either, certainly not in a life such as earthly life.
I'm not sure I would even want to live forever in heaven, but I cannot know that till I get there. I could change my mind.

However, as it stands now, just the thought of existing forever is not appealing to me as forever is a long time!
Imagine landing on the afterlife landing strip and being stuck in the afterlife forever with no way to buy a return ticket. :eek:
Well, here's the thing with me. I don't want to die. But I know I may die. I'd like to see the world change to a better place and I am assured (back to Revelation 21) that it will be. I have no thought of getting bored, none whatsover. There are so many things I like to do and moreso but I don't have time or opportunity.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Here is more of that section, please notice verse 4, where it says death will be no more.
"Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
So if you notice it says death will be no more. Neither will crying or pain.
I believe that refers to spiritual death, not physical death. Physical death will always exist since humans have mortal bodies.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Well, here's the thing with me. I don't want to die. But I know I may die.
You will die eventually as we all do.
I'd like to see the world change to a better place and I am assured (back to Revelation 21) that it will be. I have no thought of getting bored, none whatsover. There are so many things I like to do and moreso but I don't have time or opportunity.
Do you believe you will spend your eternal life on earth? The Bible doesn't say that.