• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Should Be Eligible For Or Exempt From The Draft?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In the news...
Conservatives riled up over registering women for draft - Roll Call
Excerpted...
onservatives are expressing outrage about a pending Senate National Defense Authorization Act that would require women to register for the draft, and two defense hawks opposed the Pentagon bill in the Armed Services Committee over the issue.

The Senate’s NDAA, which the committee approved on July 21, contains an amendment by the panel's chairman, Jack Reed of Rhode Island, that would require women to sign up with Selective Service, just as men do between the ages of 18 and 25. If enacted, women could be drafted into military service in the event of a national emergency, though there is no prospect of that on the horizon, and no American has been drafted in nearly half a century.

If the bill became law in its present form, women would have to start registering one year after enactment of the NDAA, a knowledgeable Senate aide told CQ Roll Call.

But while most of the committee's Republicans voted for the amendment, five voted no, senators and aides disclosed. And two of them, who normally are strong advocates for supporting the military — Tom Cotton of Arkansas and Josh Hawley of Missouri — voted against the Pentagon authorization bill because of their concerns about the draft issue, their aides revealed Friday.

Meanwhile, a bicameral group of liberal and conservative lawmakers, in a letter Friday to House Armed Services leaders, called for an end to the Selective Service system itself, which the members called "expensive, wasteful, outdated, punitive, and unnecessary." The letter came from Sens. Rand Paul, R-Ky., and Ron Wyden, D-Ore., and Reps. Peter A. DeFazio, D-Ore. and Rodney Davis, R-Ill.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In the news....
Democrats Tuck Female Draft Into Defense Bill - Washington Free Beacon
A Senate panel just took a step closer to requiring women to register for the US military draft
Senate Defense Bill Would Require Women to Register for the Draft

No longer just the Republican Party waging a "war on women", eh.
Questions:
1) Will feminists see this as a general issue of liberty for all,
or strictly thru the lens of women being possibly compelled
to serve against their will?
2) Should be exempt if pregnant or with children?
3) Should men be exempt if with children?
4) Should trans men & women continue being exempted?
5) Should clergy be subject to the draft too?
6) Should student deferments be reactivated?

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
In the news....
Democrats Tuck Female Draft Into Defense Bill - Washington Free Beacon
A Senate panel just took a step closer to requiring women to register for the US military draft
Senate Defense Bill Would Require Women to Register for the Draft

No longer just the Republican Party waging a "war on women", eh.
Questions:
1) Will feminists see this as a general issue of liberty for all,
or strictly thru the lens of women being possibly compelled
to serve against their will?
2) Should be exempt if pregnant or with children?
3) Should men be exempt if with children?
4) Should trans men & women continue being exempted?
5) Should clergy be subject to the draft too?
6) Should student deferments be reactivated?

Soon, the whole world will look like the scenes of our future as told in The Terminator.

amorphous_constellation

But history does tend to repeat itself.
And as we've seen since the first nuclear bomb usage,
conventional warfare is the most popular warfare.

Russian Citizens Are Now Being Prepped for Nuclear War

Somewhat alarming

To answer your original thread, question, I thought an appropriate answer might be no one under 25. Or I wonder if that would be supported by those who believe, or have proved, that the human brain doesn't fully develop until 25. Therefore, I would assume that anyone 25 and older would have maximal trigger discipline, which seems to be what is needed, especially when they seem to be carting around bigger and bigger stuff

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You got dat right.
To answer your original thread, question, I thought an appropriate answer might be no one under 25. Or I wonder if that would be supported by those who believe, or have proved, that the human brain doesn't fully develop until 25. Therefore, I would assume that anyone 25 and older would have maximal trigger discipline, which seems to be what is needed, especially when they seem to be carting around bigger and bigger stuff
Younger people are easier prey for government....
- Less likely to be entrenched in a career.
- Less likely to have started a family.
- Easier to mold into a killing machine.
- Less expectation of compensation.
- Less expectation of civil liberties.
- Less politically influential.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why would a government have any right to impress those who chanced to be born there?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
T

A few questions y'all can pick from...or bring your own:
- Should religious belief exempt people from fighting rolls?
- Or from any military roll?
- Is this fair to people who oppose combat for non-religious reasons?
- Should women pregnant or with infants be exempt?
- Or should all women be exempt?
- Should men with infants be exempt?
- Should draftees get a fair wage....say $200,000/year for a fighting roll?
- Should handicapped differently abled people be forced to serve?

I don't think anyone should be drafted, but I will answer.
Yes, since folks like Quakers are pacifists.
I don't think both parents should be drafted. One parent should be present with kids. Single parents should be exempt.
Pay should be better. We have military members on welfare and that's just wrong.
Differently abled people can have non combat jobs that they are able to.

But those are my answers based on if people have to be drafted, which I disagree with.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Should citizens of one country be drafted by governments of another country? Might Americans be drafted by Russia, or vice versa?

Why or why not?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
When the Swedish Minister of Finance was asked how he could explain Sweden's economic recovery from a downturn in the 1990's, his two-word answer was "Higher taxes".

Now if anyone understands economics, this can make sense. Contrary to the apparent belief of some self-proclaimed "conservatives", tax money doesn't disappear somewhere into outer space. If handled properly, taxes may actually better stimulate the economy than private investment since such monies can be pinpointed in directions so as to do the most bang for the buck. Private investors, otoh, may spend the money elsewhere, possibly in a different country, or maybe hold on to the money in a tax haven if the market is skittish.

BTW, it's sorta funny, but in a rather pathetic way, that so many "conservatives" don't whine if taxes deal with their own pet projects and especially if they personally benefit from it, but they certainly do whine if it goes to someone else. For example, consider the Trump tax-cuts that ramped up the deficit by $2 trillion, yet there was and is nary a complain from these supposed "conservatives" in the Pub Party or from most of the electorate that support them.

Tax money mostly gets spent here, not foreign investments nor tax shelters-- here.

I can see temporary measures, but they often don't end up being temporary. If we had a say in where taxes went I think people wouldn't be so against them. Any pet project, no matter how ridiculous, gets put in with practical things, like infrastructure. I don't like that. I want to be able to do what actually works instead of doing it to help out a politician's buddy or something similar.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't think anyone should be drafted, but I will answer.
Yes, since folks like Quakers are pacifists.
I don't think both parents should be drafted. One parent should be present with kids. Single parents should be exempt.
Pay should be better. We have military members on welfare and that's just wrong.
Differently abled people can have non combat jobs that they are able to.

But those are my answers based on if people have to be drafted, which I disagree with.
I wonder....
Some military jobs are much better & safer than others.
I've known guys with these jobs...
- Chauffer
- Tennis pro <--- In Vietnam of all places!
- Soldier
- Special forces
Is it fair that some are assigned kill or be killed
jobs, while others have safe cushy jobs?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Why would a government have any right to impress those who chanced to be born there?
Because We The People (being the citizenry), in Congress Assembled (our duly elected representatives) have decided through the legislative process to include that as one of the required duties of citizenship.

Is that a good policy, or a bad policy?

Personally, I think it is a bad policy, but then, I think much of what has been passed as law is bad policy...along with poor implementation. Personally, I've in favor of a change in policy...

but so far, attempts to change it haven't worked...

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There's law, and there's justice. The two aren't always compatible.
Laws are often made by rich, powerful people, to further their own interests, at the expense of The People.
There's nothing stopping congress from resuming slavery, but I wouldn't call that just.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Because We The People (being the citizenry), in Congress Assembled (our duly elected representatives) have decided through the legislative process to include that as one of the required duties of citizenship.

Is that a good policy, or a bad policy?

Personally, I think it is a bad policy, but then, I think much of what has been passed as law is bad policy...along with poor implementation. Personally, I've in favor of a change in policy...

but so far, attempts to change it haven't worked...
There's also the problem that the draft is clearly
prohibited by the 13th Amendment. And the 14th
Amendment specifically prohibits the discrimination
that's inherent in the system.
But the justices ignore the Constitution when they
feel the need. They can always construct some
complex tendentious legal rationale for whatever
they desire.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
There's also the problem that the draft is clearly
prohibited by the 13th Amendment. And the 14th
Amendment specifically prohibits the discrimination
that's inherent in the system.
But the justices ignore the Constitution when they
feel the need. They can always construct some
complex tendentious legal rationale for whatever
they desire.
As I said, bad policy and poor implementation...and so far, efforts legislative and judicial have not resolved those issues...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Law is a man-made construct, and is easily changed if it becomes inconvenient. Consider the 21st amendment: "The eighteenth article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed."
The formal amendment process is not a quick or easy thing.
Also, opposition to slavery is more unified these days.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I can see temporary measures, but they often don't end up being temporary. If we had a say in where taxes went I think people wouldn't be so against them. Any pet project, no matter how ridiculous, gets put in with practical things, like infrastructure. I don't like that. I want to be able to do what actually works instead of doing it to help out a politician's buddy or something similar.
And the irony is that surveys have shown that most people who consider themselves to be Republican favor pretty much all of the measures of the BBB proposal.