• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is Watching The Watchmen?

cardero

Citizen Mod
My history of the Watchmen begins in the late 80’s when I first met RF member Ralph C. Ralph C. was a mutual friend of the singer in my band Signal 7 and when I told Ralph that I used to collect comics we hit upon a friendship that has extended to this day. RalphC. was also the friend that steered and influenced me into my second incarnation of collecting comics. Since I was now an adult with a secure income, I was able to afford the hobby this time and Ralph C. was already knee-deep into comic buying and reading, he was able to turn me onto what was good and what the genre had to offer to the adult collector.

Watchmen was one of those recommendations.

As a new collector re-introduced to the world of comics, Watchmen floored me. It was mature, thought provoking, timeless and inspiring. For the next two decades I would also be recommending Alan Moore and Dave Gibbon’s Watchmen to the comic nay-sayers or to the people who thought that comics were just for kids or illiterates. I must have bought this graphic novel four times because I had given (or lent) my copy to new and interested readers. It was a complete story that touched on many levels of human morality and behavior and if read very carefully, had little to do with men and women running around in costumes fighting crime. There are many fiction lists that cite this work as a great piece of art and literature and rightfully so.

As a big fan of movies, I too (at that time), was hopeful that it would someday be turned into a major motion picture and when I heard that my favorite director, Terry Gilliam (Brazil, Time Bandits) would helm this project, I felt that the future of this film was in good hands.

But the film was never produced. Terry Gilliam would have been quoted to admit that the twelve issue graphic novel was “un-film-able,” a critique that could very well turn prophetic.

Now in this day and age where technology has caught up to film-making and we now live in a time where film artists and distributers do not have a problem with keeping audiences in their seats for three hours, many believe that the time was ripe for a Watchmen movie.

If at this point my dear friend you cannot tell that I am excited about this movie, I should just discontinue writing but the truth remains that it is very rare that I get excited over the release of a motion picture or look forward to actually seeing a new movie. Since I do not dwell in the realm of hope, I am not going to wonder if this film lives up to my expectations but that doesn’t mean that I am not courting concerns.

Zack Snyder (with only a few movie credits under his belt) is inexperienced and ill-equipped to take on such a project.

(Compared to Marvel) DC (lately) has had a rough batting average with its superhero movies and licensing properties.

Reading the Watchmen book again, I am noticing that the dialogue (which may work well for the graphic and written format) may not transfer well onto the screen.

That the movie, faithful to the graphic novel, may appease the fans and the readers but will segregate and confuse movie-goers not familiar with the source.

That the story is present on the screen but the spirit is lacking (a critique that reviewers are already impressing).

I still believe that the Watchmen would have worked better as a twelve-episode series on HBO rather than a theatrical release.

So who is going to watch the Watchmen?

Are you familiar with the original DC material written and depicted by Moore and Gibbons? What is your history with the Watchmen? How did you come across it?

Do you have high expectations?

If you saw the film, what are your gripes or critiques? What did you like about the film?

This is a thread to list your fears and concerns and to see if they match with your judgments when you actually view the film.

Last edited:

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I've seen it.

Got back only just now. Fantastic film, well worth watching. According to my flatmate who's read it, many scenes are exact frames.

I've not read it, but I love the film. I'm going to see it again, if not - I'll buy it on DVD. Had no expectations coming into it, having not read it, but going by my flatmate's reaction it's very much the awesome. I can't agree more ^_^

Sententia

I will see it. Even though it is rated R.

I will go see it. I know the lord tempts us with these awesome movies and then makes them R rated just to test our faith...

But I will fail this test. I will go see this movie. If it was X or XXX I would still see it. All I know about is the Saturday cartoon opening: » Watchmen: The Saturday Morning Cartoon - KING-mag.com

But that is awesome enough for me to want to go see it.

Inky

I love that comic! I'm looking forward to seeing the movie and will probably make time for it this weekend.

Dezzie

I've never read the comics myself but I watched the trailer for the movie and found that it looks quite awesome. It is definitely a movie I want to see sometime soon.

Nanda

Polyanna
This is quite a change from the comic forum I frequent, where all of my friends are saying it was absolutely terrible. I haven't made up my mind whether to see it or not yet.

Trey of Diamonds

I'll be seeing it but not sure when. I try to stay away from opening weekends but this one might just pull me in as I'm dieing to see it. I've enjoyed watchmen since it's original release. Sometimes I think it's a bit over hyped, the plot and story isn't all that original afterall, but it was ground breaking for having been done in comics. Also, Alan Moore is a master storyteller and the pacing in the book was flawless. Looking forward to this one.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
We went and saw the midnight screening of Watchmen in Imax last night and OMG. Absolutely amazing. I loved it. I haven't read the book and I'm not into comics and I think it was one of the best films I have ever seen. Imax might have played a part in my awe though... they should have called it Climax. lol.

I loved how raw the scenes were. They didn't hold back, which was great. The nookie scene in the space ship had the whole theater applauding. lol.

Go see it in Climax if you can. If you can't, still go see it. :p

Zephyr

Moved on
I'm going to watch it this weekend. I am fully prepared to be disappointed, but meh, it should at least be pretty cool.

I just can't see anybody being able to translate Watchmen to a movie very well.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
I have heard some ghastly reviews about it. A lot of people seem to think it is utter rubbish.

Trey of Diamonds

I have heard some ghastly reviews about it. A lot of people seem to think it is utter rubbish.

I keep hearing rumors to this effect but everyone who I know who has seen it loved it. As I trust my friends I'll be seeing it later this weekend.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Im going to watch it in a cinemax theater tonight at 1:40 AM, (its 22:40 now), and I was also invited to see it with a large horde of people next week too :D
I have not read the comics, loved the trailer, and as this comics has the best reputation, Im going to get myself more cultured and enjoy it.
I'll throw in my input here as well soon. ;)

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
My comic book guru friend gave it a decent review. She said it would have been impossible to stick to the same end the book had. She didn't liek how they didn't focus at all on the mutant cat. And she thought they could have focused more on Dr. Manhattan. But overall she said they stuck to the principle in the book exactly. It gave the same message, which she was relieved to see.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Well, its after 5 AM, and I just got back from watching Watchmen in an IMAX cinema.

There will be a bit of spoilers, so be warned.

I'll start with the cinematic experience. the movie is visually stunning, with very artistic graphic scenes and frames, the soundtrack is absolutely brilliant.

Now a bit for the content of the movie, Mr Manhattan displays in a way a character who has a 'spiritual ego', he is seeing the world through metaphysical-zen eyes, and has higher knowledge of the physical world to the tiniest particle, and yet it in this intellectual enlightenment he became humanly detached, with flawed psychological priorities, and lack of empathy. I think his character can be a great lesson in regard to the absurdity of idolizing enlightenment and enlightened figures.
The human aspects of the story line were the real substance of the movie as far as I was concerned, like the problems between Laurie and Jon (Dr Manhattan) and the romance between her and Dan, and the inside stories between the characters, many of which entered deeply into the dark side.

The story and movie is also somewhat of a treat to ancient history or ancient Egypt enthusiasts, starting of course with the nick name of Adrian- Ozymandias, which was the Greek name for pharoah Ramesses II, and going deeper into certain items displayed in new Karnak, such as the pallete of Narmer, who is considered to be the unifier of Egypt and the first dynasty, and perhaps the first king of ancient Egypt:

Narmer Palette:

800px-NarmerPalette_ROM-gamma2.jpg

I enjoyed the fact that although the movie had outstanding graphic action scenes (or more like extreme violence) it was based on intellectual and psychological substance more than making action the backbone of the movie.

I will leave other people who viewed it with more to add, all I can say is that this movie is more than worthy the minimal expanses of experiencing it on the big screen.

Last edited:

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Loved the graphic novel and I must say I love the movie as well.
(there were parts that just looked like you were watching the comic come to life)

Naturally they couldn't just pop the comic unchanged into movie form... the choices they made IMHO were good ones.

I'm very happy they didn't censor any of the films graphic content, after all this was never meant to be a kids story! :jiggy:

wa:do

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
I'm very happy they didn't censor any of the films graphic content, after all this was never meant to be a kids story! :jiggy:

wa:do

YES! There were some parts that just completely caught me off guard they were so uncensored.

I want to read the comic so bad now...

My comic guru friend said that there was a bit of depth that the comic had that they couldn't get into the movie. She said she has read the comic like, 6 times now and the last time she still noticed little things she didn't notice the first time.

The message that just blew my mind was how the characters exposed human nature. It reminded me of the response 9/11 caused. Everyone is bitter, bickering and fighting within until there is a threat from the outside. It takes a catastrophic and horrifying event to cause people to put aside there differences and unite.

The most beautiful part was when Dr. Manhatten showed the girl her past on mars and she learned about her dad. The whole chaos coming together to make the miracle which was her was just "wow."

(I tried to keep spoilers outa there....)