• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is right? I give up

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
My test is, if you thought you are about to die, which God would you cry to?

Not sure if that's the test I would use. I've cried out to Gods I don't believe in during a psychotic episode, where I thought I was dying.

Death does strange things to the mind and sanity.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Can someone tell me plainly if their religion is the actual correct one:confused:? You see, I’m trying to figure it out, but I’m just about burnt out investigating. thanks!
This thread is intended to be an exercise in futility :) as there is no way of knowing who is right. My family has a tradition of dying Christian so that’s what I’ve decided to do, and not worry about if we are right or not.
The fact that there are one or more religions for each major and most minor cultural groups is one of the most obvious things about belief. As you say, they can't all be right, even though they could all be wrong.

The problem ─ as doubtless you already know ─ is that religion has no test for truth. Instead, in religion something is 'true' because an authority figure says so, or it's true because it somehow feels to the individual like it should be true.

Elsewhere, truth, as the 'correspondence' definition says, is a quality of statements, and a statement is true to the extent that it corresponds with / accurately reflects objective reality, the world external to the self. Thus the test for truth here is about as objective as we can make it.

But objective reality is at best only a tiny part of what religions are about.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Can someone tell me plainly if their religion is the actual correct one:confused:? You see, I’m trying to figure it out, but I’m just about burnt out investigating. thanks!
This thread is intended to be an exercise in futility :) as there is no way of knowing who is right. My family has a tradition of dying Christian so that’s what I’ve decided to do, and not worry about if we are right or not.
Well, we have the Book of Mormon. We believe it has the fullness of the gospel and that a man will get closer to God by abiding by its precepts than any other book. The very first chapter is about survival and revelation.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Judaism really, really resonated with me. I had undying faith in HaShem.

My test is, if you thought you are about to die, which God would you cry to?
Osiris, God of the dead! :D

Anyway OP, Shinto has only one Doctrine, no Scriptures, no known founder, so nothing to argue about.

Shinto Doctrine is simply "belief in the Kami".

Kami is simply Spirit, Angel, or God. If God exists, if Angels exist, if souls/spirits exist, then Shinto is a true faith.

End of story!

amorphous_constellation

I still think that an old religion I used to pursue, which is some kind of "general animism," is correct, but I can't follow it for a few reasons. One is that I have not been able to apprehend it, in the context of this society. The second is that it blows apart all dogma, as it is like water to a duck's back. So a further point that is a product of those two points, is that the religion is 'too heavy' for me. A third is that it may require community, which is not forthcoming in this context. So now, I merely stick to mere spiritual assertion, I am a dualism advocate