• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is right? I give up

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Can someone tell me plainly if their religion is the actual correct one:confused:? You see, I’m trying to figure it out, but I’m just about burnt out investigating. thanks!
This thread is intended to be an exercise in futility :) as there is no way of knowing who is right. My family has a tradition of dying Christian so that’s what I’ve decided to do, and not worry about if we are right or not.
The search for truth is a noble one. I do think that when a person who has no religion searches for one, they should look for the one that contains the most truth. However, is right theology the point of it? Or does it have more to do with simply worshiping God and being a good person? Because you can do that even with no religion at all. The advantage of having a religion is that being involved in a religious congregation makes us healthier, happier, and longer lived. So do the best you can, and don't sweat about it as much.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
How good would the world be if everyone did that!
I believe in God, but I find that a lot of my friends here and in the world are intelligent, wise people that I can learn from, but do not believe in God. Who am I to say that God does not want me to learn from them. I cannot think of a reason to reject their wisdom just because they do not believe as I do. It is not my place to judge them for their lack of belief. I consider those wise friends to be a blessing no matter what religion they follow or not.

By the same token, I have met Christians that speak on subjects they clearly know nothing about and I do not accept their personal opinion on those subjects just because they are Christian. But I cannot judge how good a Christian they are based on their ignorance of a particular subject. That is not for me to judge.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
The only father I ever owned is human.

Compared to my evil brothers irradiated science caused consciousness mind state his memories spiritual true love care for his family.

Unlike many human brothers today who think nothing like him.

Maybe to your irradiated minds his memory life recorded by heavens makes him seem like a God. Yet he is the only spirit father we ever had....human.

He came direct out of the eternal spirit as a pre owned living spirit changed into his God form a human. Direct.

We are bio water as the eternal life took on the water form creating it's own biological chemistry. Not gods...humans. Only we own biological chemistry.

As we only use half of the water mass he spiritually exists as the better half of water mass as holy water is more pure than bio water. Why we know he spiritually assists life.

Our brother in nuclear science removed life's health and spiritually separated ground water mass giving massive evaporation as an evil effect.

His thinking thesis about gases of God stone not life caused it. He is and always was a science liar.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I believe in God, but I find that a lot of my friends here and in the world are intelligent, wise people that I can learn from, but do not believe in God. Who am I to say that God does not want me to learn from them. I cannot think of a reason to reject their wisdom just because they do not believe as I do. It is not my place to judge them for their lack of belief. I consider those wise friends to be a blessing no matter what religion they follow or not.

By the same token, I have met Christians that speak on subjects they clearly know nothing about and I do not accept their personal opinion on those subjects just because they are Christian. But I cannot judge how good a Christian they are based on their ignorance of a particular subject. That is not for me to judge.

If Christianity was more like that I'd be more likely to investigate it again. The Christianity that was forced on to me as a child was terrible, we tolerated but mocked the Baptists and Methodists and I wasn't even allowed to play with the Catholic kids. They went to a separate school and the only interaction we had was belting each other up. Outside those 4 brands of Christianity I had no knowledge of any other beliefs.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
What did Jesus say, along those lines?
To Him, love was the identifier. Still is. John 13:34-35
&
Matthew 5:44
Really, to love your fellow man.

How many organizations really support these ideals? Without any stipulation?

Start there….That should limit the field!

(That’s what I did … along with prayer to the Father)

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
If Christianity was more like that I'd be more likely to investigate it again. The Christianity that was forced on to me as a child was terrible, we tolerated but mocked the Baptists and Methodists and I wasn't even allowed to play with the Catholic kids. They went to a separate school and the only interaction we had was belting each other up. Outside those 4 brands of Christianity I had no knowledge of any other beliefs.
It varies here. There are a lot of fundamentalists that preach what amounts to hate thy neighbor for their beliefs as I see it. I do my best not to associate with people that follow that view, though I cannot say that they are not Christian. Just not very good ones as I understand Christianity.

My parents were pretty open-minded Christians that encouraged us to learn whatever interested us. They did not condemn knowledge, just because it happened not to be mentioned in the Bible. I remember once when I was young telling them how horrible communism was. They grilled me on my knowledge of communism and it turned out I did not really know that much about it. Their advice was to read about it so I could know for myself if I should consider it horrible or at least as not a sound system if I wanted to hold that view. They were nutty like that. Forcing me to learn and think. It was horrible.

I think if more people were concerned about their own hearts and not what they thought was in their neighbors, we all might be better off.

I care about what people actually do. Their actions to others and about knowledge. That can be judged on a human level. If you claim something to be correct, then you should be able to demonstrate that. But there is no means to demonstrate the truth of religious views or whether someone truly holds the views they claim. Many Christians that post on this forum condemn me as not a real Christian, because I view parts of the Bible as allegory. But they really have no more of idea of who is and who isn't Christian than anyone else. And if they consider themselves to be Christian, I would imagine they should work to leave that judgment to God. What they think about my beliefs does not matter to me at all.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
It varies here. There are a lot of fundamentalists that preach what amounts to hate thy neighbor for their beliefs as I see it. I do my best not to associate with people that follow that view, though I cannot say that they are not Christian. Just not very good ones as I understand Christianity.

My parents were pretty open-minded Christians that encouraged us to learn whatever interested us. They did not condemn knowledge, just because it happened not to be mentioned in the Bible. I remember once when I was young telling them how horrible communism was. They grilled me on my knowledge of communism and it turned out I did not really know that much about it. Their advice was to read about it so I could know for myself if I should consider it horrible or at least as not a sound system if I wanted to hold that view. They were nutty like that. Forcing me to learn and think. It was horrible.

I think if more people were concerned about their own hearts and not what they thought was in their neighbors, we all might be better off.

I care about what people actually do. Their actions to others and about knowledge. That can be judged on a human level. If you claim something to be correct, then you should be able to demonstrate that. But there is no means to demonstrate the truth of religious views or whether someone truly holds the views they claim. Many Christians that post on this forum condemn me as not a real Christian, because I view parts of the Bible as allegory. But they really have no more of idea of who is and who isn't Christian than anyone else. And if they consider themselves to be Christian, I would imagine they should work to leave that judgment to God. What they think about my beliefs does not matter to me at all.
Sounds like your parents were great!

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
There are a lot of fundamentalists that preach what amounts to hate thy neighbor for their beliefs as I see it. I do my best not to associate with people that follow that view, though I cannot say that they are not Christian. Just not very good ones as I understand Christianity.

And you are perfectly justified to make that call! Their hateful thinking can affect us, if we associate with them too much.
That doesn’t mean you hate those individuals, but you certainly can hate the tenets that promote such hatred!

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
It's My Birthday!
Can someone tell me plainly if their religion is the actual correct one:confused:? You see, I’m trying to figure it out, but I’m just about burnt out investigating. thanks!
This thread is intended to be an exercise in futility :) as there is no way of knowing who is right. My family has a tradition of dying Christian so that’s what I’ve decided to do, and not worry about if we are right or not.
The latter seems a little superficial. No one can tell you that their religion is right. You have to be patient and keep investigating. In the Seven Valleys in the collection called the Call of the Divine Beloved it says this:

The first is the Valley of Search. The steed of this valley is patience; without patience the wayfarer on this journey will reach nowhere and attain no goal. Nor should he ever become downhearted: If he strive for a hundred thousand years and yet fail to behold the beauty of the Friend, he should not falter. For those who seek the Kaaba of “for Us” rejoice in the tidings “In Our ways shall We assuredly guide them.”18 In their search, they have stoutly girded up the loins of service and at every moment journey from the plane of heedlessness into the realm of search. No bond shall hold them back and no counsel deter them.

8 It is incumbent upon these servants to cleanse the heart, which is the wellspring of divine treasures, of every marking; turn away from imitation, which is following the traces of their forefathers; and shut the door of friendship and enmity upon all the people of the earth.

(The Call of the Divine Beloved)
www.bahai.org/r/233532682

I offer this not as advice that is an authoritative source, but think about it.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The fact that there are one or more religions for each major and most minor cultural groups is one of the most obvious things about belief. As you say, they can't all be right, even though they could all be wrong.

The problem ─ as doubtless you already know ─ is that religion has no test for truth. Instead, in religion something is 'true' because an authority figure says so, or it's true because it somehow feels to the individual like it should be true.

Elsewhere, truth, as the 'correspondence' definition says, is a quality of statements, and a statement is true to the extent that it corresponds with / accurately reflects objective reality, the world external to the self. Thus the test for truth here is about as objective as we can make it.

But objective reality is at best only a tiny part of what religions are about.
Quantum Mechanics is one of the most successful theories in physics. But there are at least 10 major and around 50 minor interpretations of QM all which are consistent with all observations and radically inconsistent with each other. Similarly in religion/spirituality there are fundamental facts of religious insight, religious inspiration, mystical experiences and meditative experiences and the radical transformation of lives through them. However the total theory explaining this also number into many hundreds and are often related to culture and tastes of a person or population. Some are better than others, but not none are definitive. It can happen in any field.