• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Is God?

Ellen Brown

I like the view of Muslims about the identity of God because they come close to absolute humility.

This quoted from Wiki:
  • In Islam, God (Arabic: الله‎, translit. Allāh, contraction of الْإِلٰه al-ilāh, lit. "the God") is indivisible, the God, the absolute one, the all-powerful and all-knowing ruler of the universe, and the creator of everything in existence. Islam emphasizes that God is strictly singular (tawḥīd ): unique (wāḥid ), inherently One (aḥad ),[1] also all-merciful and omnipotent.[2] God is neither a material nor a spiritual being.[3] According to Islamic teachings, beyond the Throne[4] and according to the Quran, "No vision can grasp him, but His grasp is over all vision: He is above all comprehension, yet is acquainted with all things."[

Mormons say he is flesh and bone. Someone else says he is a Spirit. Many say he is three beings in one. He says,"I am that I am". And I'm pretty certain that none of us knows anything of value about God, G_d, Allah SWT. When we try to define God, we try to limit him. (IT, Her, He).

It is presumptuous and egocentric to say we know.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I like the view of Muslims about the identity of God because they come close to absolute humility.

This quoted from Wiki:

• In Islam, God (Arabic: الله‎, translit. Allāh, contraction of الْإِلٰه al-ilāh, lit. "the God") is indivisible, the God, the absolute one, the all-powerful and all-knowing ruler of the universe, and the creator of everything in existence. Islam emphasizes that God is strictly singular (tawḥīd ): unique (wāḥid ), inherently One (aḥad ),[1] also all-merciful and omnipotent.[2] God is neither a material nor a spiritual being.[3] According to Islamic teachings, beyond the Throne[4] and according to the Quran, "No vision can grasp him, but His grasp is over all vision: He is above all comprehension, yet is acquainted with all things."[
Mormons say he is flesh and bone. Someone else says he is a Spirit. Many say he is three beings in one. He says,"I am that I am". And I'm pretty certain that none of us knows anything of value about God, G_d, Allah SWT. When we try to define God, we try to limit him. (IT, Her, He).

Yes. I think trying to describe it is using language to best understand what they cannot understand. Language is only one way to relate to god. You have prayer. Rituals. Charity. And so forth to relate and understand god. If god was unknowable and not defined by humans we wouldn't know if he is all-knowing, all-powerful, creator. Those words, like he/she/it (nouns and pronouns) still are used to make sense of something that does not make sense.

Everyone does it differently.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I guess if I offered a seek-like advice, maybe putting terms and actions to relate to god is good to start. Scripture is one way of "language" to do so. Depending on your god-religion, after awhile, there is no dependence on scripture nor terms. It's something you want to do and how you want to describe god.

It's alright to find ways to connect to god. If he can only connect to you through language (i.e. scripture), then, that's the same as calling him he/she/it. Further you get from scripture, the more you know god well enough to not give it traits like creator when there is no word to describe him nor adjective nor noun.

That's my reflection. I tend to reflect on things regardless my belief. Everyone sees it different.

The Anointed

This quoted from Wiki:

God is one and all that exists. All was made by Him, through Him and for Him.

Here we go once again--------
The first law of thermodynamics is the same as the first law of conservation and that is, that energy can neither be created or destroyed. So it would seem that if energy cannot be created, then it always was, and If it can never be destroyed, it always will be. Therefore, according to this law, energy must be eternal, having neither beginning or end. Energy can be and is converted to that which we perceive as matter. In fact, this material universe at the time of the Big Bang was pure electromagnetic energy, which has been converted to that which we perceive as matter only to be reconverted to its original form as electromagnetic energy during the phase of the Big Crunch. If you believe that a universe of mindless matter has produced beings with intrinsic ends, [in Kantian terminology, an end-in-itself] --------- self- replication capabilities, and “coded chemistry”? Then you must accept that it is the eternal energy which has neither beginning or end, that has become this material universe and has developed a mind that is the compilation of all the information gathered by all the diverse life-forms that it [The Eternal Energy] or God has become.

In fact, it has now been revealed that matter is no more than an illusion. Quantum physicists discovered that so called physical atoms are made up of vortices of energy that are constantly spinning and vibrating, each one radiating its own unique energy signature.

If you observed the composition of an atom with a microscope you would see a small, invisible tornado-like vortex, with a number of infinitely small energy vortices called quarks and photons. These are what make up the structure of the atom. As you focused in closer and closer on the structure of the atom, you would see nothing, you would observe a physical void. The atom has no physical structure, we have no physical structure, physical things really don’t have any physical structure! Atoms are made out of invisible energy, not tangible matter.
We are all part and parcel of the Combined Cosmic Consciousness.

There is of course one who has developed as the MOST HIGH in the creation, to who we bend the knew, 'Our Lord and savior.'

Nothing Is Solid & Everything Is Energy – Scientists Explain The World of Quantum Physics*

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

This quoted from Wiki:

God is the memory of your dad when you were four ─ huge, helpful, providing, protecting, able to solve any problem you had ─ but not always around the house.

Ellen Brown

God is the memory of your dad when you were four ─ huge, helpful, providing, protecting, able to solve any problem you had ─ but not always around the house.

I did not have a dad. I had a stepfather who tried to kill me, giving me a deep hatred and distrust for men. I tried to end him with a hatchet but failed, so complete failure. Nothing in this life gives me an image of God. Finally, late in my 20s I met my father, but he did not apologize for leaving me with that monster.

arthra

Baha'i
My father was serving in the Pacific during WWII. I did have a Grandfather and a good Uncle that helped me along... I wandered about the "Father in heaven" people spoke about. I started reading the Bible at an early age.

Eventually my father returned from the occupation of Japan in 1947. He also was a business man and was busy supporting the family. Now at a relatively advanced age I feel I understand him better.

I became a Baha'i around my twenty fifth year. I read about what Abdul-Baha said in Paris in 1911:

"That which we imagine, is not the Reality of God; He, the Unknowable, the Unthinkable, is far beyond the highest conception of man."

"All creatures that exist are dependent upon the Divine Bounty. Divine Mercy gives life itself. As the light of the sun shines on the whole world, so the Mercy of the infinite God is shed on all creatures. As the sun ripens the fruits of the earth, and gives life and warmth to all living beings, so shines the Sun of Truth on all souls, filling them with the fire of Divine love and understanding."

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks, p. 24

Read "Paris Talks" on line at
Paris Talks | Bahá’í Reference Library

An Unknowable God | What Bahá’ís Believe

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Therefore, according to this law, energy must be eternal, having neither beginning or end. Energy can be and is converted to that which we perceive as matter.

No, it can't. Energy and mass are related, not energy and matter. Energy isn't 'stuff' - things have energy (just like things have mass), they can't be energy. Energy is a quantity that exists because the laws of physics don't vary with time. It's like momentum, which exists because the laws do not vary with position and angular momentum which exists because the laws do not vary with direction. See: Noether's theorem.

There can be no "eternal energy" without stuff that has energy.

In fact, this material universe at the time of the Big Bang was pure electromagnetic energy...

No, it wasn't. There is no such thing as "pure energy" (electromagnetic or otherwise); photons are particles that have energy.

See: Mass and Energy

Quantum physicists discovered that so called physical atoms are made up of vortices of energy that are constantly spinning and vibrating, each one radiating its own unique energy signature.

No, they haven't. For the reasons already given and also because it's a basic principle in QM that every electron (for example) is identical to every other electron. So no "vortices of energy" radiating "unique energy signature".

You did notice this was written by a tax advisor?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
God IMO is a misconception. An exacerbation, a personification, an attribution of will towards the Sacred.

Shantanu

This quoted from Wiki:

There is indeed something out there that is smarter than you: it is you if you choose to find your-Self.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I did not have a dad. I had a stepfather who tried to kill me, giving me a deep hatred and distrust for men. I tried to end him with a hatchet but failed, so complete failure. Nothing in this life gives me an image of God. Finally, late in my 20s I met my father, but he did not apologize for leaving me with that monster.
That sounds horrible. I'm sad to hear it.

Is your vision of God nonetheless of a male? A male with traits within your experience, especially your younger experience?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

This quoted from Wiki:

And yet, the quote is false. The quote ends with "He is above all comprehension" which makes you wonder how they ever arrived at that idea if indeed their primitive vision of god was accurate. How would you determine if something was all-knowing or even the somewhat absurd phrase "inherently one". What the hell is that even supposed to mean? It sounds like a phrase made up by someone who had no idea what they were talking about. And you think this Islamic description is a good quote? How would you know if it is a good quote or not? Personally, I've never been impressed with the spiritual acumen of Islamic "scholars" and find their thinking to be little more than rule based banality.

I think you have hit on one of the major problems with religion however in that no one can really explain non-dual reality and so we end up with all these half-baked ideas that we then end up killing each other over because we are certain our view is correct! It's OK to not know for sure, but sadly that is a lesson that ALL the world's religions have yet to learn.

Last edited:
God is one and all that exists. All was made by Him, through Him and for Him.

Here we go once again--------
The first law of thermodynamics is the same as the first law of conservation and that is, that energy can neither be created or destroyed. So it would seem that if energy cannot be created, then it always was, and If it can never be destroyed, it always will be. Therefore, according to this law, energy must be eternal, having neither beginning or end. Energy can be and is converted to that which we perceive as matter. In fact,this material universe at the time of the Big Bang was pure electromagnetic energy, which has been converted to that which we perceive as matter only to be reconverted to its original form as electromagnetic energy during the phase of the Big Crunch. If you believe that a universe of mindless matter has produced beings with intrinsic ends, [in Kantian terminology, an end-in-itself] --------- self- replication capabilities, and “coded chemistry”? Then you must accept that it is the eternal energy which has neither beginning or end, that has become this material universe and has developed a mind that is the compilation of all the information gathered by all the diverse life-forms that it [The Eternal Energy] or God has become.

In fact, it has now been revealed that matter is no more than an illusion. Quantum physicists discovered that so called physical atoms are made up of vortices of energy that are constantly spinning and vibrating, each one radiating its own unique energy signature.

If you observed the composition of an atom with a microscope you would see a small, invisible tornado-like vortex, with a number of infinitely small energy vortices called quarks and photons. These are what make up the structure of the atom. As you focused in closer and closer on the structure of the atom, you would see nothing, you would observe a physical void. The atom has no physical structure, we have no physical structure, physical things really don’t have any physical structure! Atoms are made out of invisible energy, not tangible matter.
We are all part and parcel of the Combined Cosmic Consciousness.

There is of course one who has developed as the MOST HIGH in the creation, to who we bend the knew, 'Our Lord and savior.'

Nothing Is Solid & Everything Is Energy – Scientists Explain The World of Quantum Physics*

Why do you think the state of matter was only electromagnetic after the (THEORETICAL) Big Bang or before the (THEORETICAL) Big Crunch? Firstly there would have had to have been perfect symmetry between matter and antimatter for there to have been "pure electromagnetic energy". We can look at the universe now and see matter-energy and electromagnetic energy measure 1 part in a billion of the electromagnetic energy... not zero. Illusion is a funny thing, its origin stems from loosely meaning "to mock" "mock" "to play with" "jesting" which I found neat.

So is it an illusion? Can you put your hand through a brick wall? Does electromagnetism and bonds allow you to? So to ME, reality isn't an illusion. My senses aren't capable of picking up what I would need to know to see past what my senses tell me.

Do you think data can't be preserved through a big crunch or bang? That it's all reset to 0's afterward?

Creation needs God to sustain, it'd collapse and error out if he weren't there to do what he does... make error corrections. ;-)

-Galzu

Admittedly, it would be rather interesting to see how many non-humans are replying... :rolleyes:

Carefully, taking into factor all variables. Non-humans would ask more questions to get more clarity on who means what. Humans love deluding contorting definitions. SO, one word could mean fifty different things to one hundred of you. We tend to measure twice, cut once. Less negative energy is created that way. ;-)

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
For me God is either male or ungendered.
The image of a male god has become persistent. Inanna, Astarte, Ishtar, Athena, Hekate, were among many warlike and politically capable female deities, perhaps all cultural versions of the one idea.

But in the Tanakh, God was already divorced from his earlier consort Asherah by the time the story starts, and across the three Abrahamic religions has remained unattached and plainly male until after WW2. He was therefore the god of both sides in countless wars across the centuries, something I never understood as a child and which still seems theologically absurd, though since H sap is a gregarious species, it makes excellent anthropological sense.