• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is a advaitin in Hindu philosophy?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I have thought about that long and hard over a long time and came to the conclusion that God had fooled me with that experience of embracing my dead mother as a spirit, for science taught me that it is impossible. So I was highly delusional and I have suffered from persistent delusional disorder according to the Psychiatrists. The body does not have a soul that escapes cremation and burial to live a life in the ethers as far as I know. So yes God gave me a delusional experience.
Shantanu, I have to think you are claiming scientific knowledge on consciousness and souls is complete and that they can tell us life after death is impossible. Consciousness is still a mystery to science. And I find the evidence for life after death overwhelming myself. Here's a link to some: Afterlife Evidence

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But they are not conscious of it or anything. And in the near future when everyone that ever knew them is dead, one can wax philosophical on the sense of pointlessness of our current life. We’re a blip for a blip of time in a blip of the universe and then gone with no knowledge by us or anyone of our or our loved ones once personalities.
But time, too, is illusory, and part of our waking-state dream. The past is as "real" as the present.
Just because we're currently seeing minute 60 of a film doesn't mean minute 3 or 120 don't exist, or that we can't go back and see it again.
Who knows? There could be two or three snippets of consciousness running our parents' program as we speak, living their lives, in their time.

No thing moves. No thing changes. All that shifts is the focus of our attention. The goal is to widen the focus to a universal consciousness; to experience all the frames of all the films simultaneously.

George-ananda

Premium Member
But time, too, is illusory, and part of our waking-state dream. The past is as "real" as the present.
Just because we're currently seeing minute 60 of a film doesn't mean minute 3 or 120 don't exist, or that we can't go back and see it again.
Who knows? There could be two or three snippets of consciousness running our parents' program as we speak, living their lives, in their time.

No thing moves. No thing changes. All that shifts is the focus of our attention. The goal is to widen the focus to a universal consciousness; to experience all the frames of all the films simultaneously.
Yes, but I was speaking about not reliving of their lives but a continuation of that life on the higher planes of reality continuing to have expansive experiences. That is something much richer.

Shantanu

Shantanu, I have to think you are claiming scientific knowledge on consciousness and souls is complete and that they can tell us life after death is impossible. Consciousness is still a mystery to science. And I find the evidence for life after death overwhelming myself. Here's a link to some: Afterlife Evidence
My experience is that when one tests God with the ultimate questions He plays tricks on the human mind to keep us all in suspense. That is why it is necessary to reject God and go ones own way. That is the life I have chosen. I cannot ignore Him becuase He is there yet I say that it is Conscioiusness that dictates my every move in life and determines my future. I reject after death experiences as a result. I am only interested in what happens to me in this life that I lead in a productive manner fulfilling my objectives.

George-ananda

Premium Member
My experience is that when one tests God with the ultimate questions He plays tricks on the human mind to keep us all in suspense. That is why it is necessary to reject God and go ones own way. That is the life I have chosen. I cannot ignore Him becuase He is there yet I say that it is Conscioiusness that dictates my every move in life and determines my future. I reject after death experiences as a result. I am only interested in what happens to me in this life that I lead in a productive manner fulfilling my objectives.
Geez Shantanu, that doesn't sound good to me at all. I hope someday you find God unites us all in love.

Shantanu

Geez Shantanu, that doesn't sound good to me at all. I hope someday you find God unites us all in love.
I am sorry that you feel this way: for me there is no God that I can call God as a Personal Entity of being a guide in my hour of need to help me in this world of vyvaharika let alone a God that unites mankind in love or hatred or anything else. There are no souls. There is no sanatan dharma that we are encouraged to live to even in this material world. Everything that I have learnt has been through undergoing the due process of satya-advaita checking my writings and actions with the Ultimate Power every step of the way. This has proved to me that no God exists.

The only thing that exists is Consciousness and I am that Consciousness deriving my inspirations from own self as Consciousness. The self is not God but Consciousness (satchitananda). Whoever the Creator is of this universe has made it that way perhaps to absolve the Creator off any blame for the Creation or stop human beings from worshipping God. The only entity that I worship are my parents who are no longer in this world but have left me with abiding memory of their goodness and love for me.

Last edited:

Shantanu

That is interesting conjecture and speculation on the physics of it all. As for myself, I only need to know what my next steps should be in this world: what am I going to do.;)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
That is interesting conjecture and speculation on the physics of it all. As for myself, I only need to know what my next steps should be in this world: what am I going to do.;)

Again, this thought process sounds much more like materialism than advaita.

Shantanu

Again, this thought process sounds much more like materialism than advaita.
I have just taken the action that was needed to my circumstances through my Consciousness guidance: no gods for me.Even calling oneself an advaitin in this Forum is an attachment that I abhor so I may just do without a label altogether: what do you think?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I have just taken the action that was needed to my circumstances through my Consciousness guidance: no gods for me.Even calling oneself an advaitin in this Forum is an attachment that I abhor so I may just do without a label altogether: what do you think?

It would appear to me, by our discussions, that letting go of attachments is paramount to your worldview.

If you think a label is an attachment, then I think you have your answer. :)

George-ananda

Premium Member
I am sorry that you feel this way: for me there is no God that I can call God as a Personal Entity of being a guide in my hour of need to help me in this world of vyvaharika let alone a God that unites mankind in love or hatred or anything else.
This sounds like you are thinking more like the Abrahamic God concept and not really understanding what Advaita Vedanta is saying.

Shantanu

This sounds like you are thinking more like the Abrahamic God concept and not really understanding what Advaita Vedanta is saying.
What I am saying is that I exist as I am, and so I must exist in Existence, that is as Consciousness.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Hmmm. Do I need to exist?

I'm not even sure this question is relevant. Per advaita, you, in your true nature, are immortal in ParamArthika, therefore you do exist and will continue to exist regardless of the perception in VyAvahArika of whether or not you need to.

Shantanu

I'm not even sure this question is relevant. Per advaita, you, in your true nature, are immortal in ParamArthika, therefore you do exist and will continue to exist regardless of the perception in VyAvahArika of whether or not you need to.
In the absolute truth, only Consciousness exists.

Shantanu

A householder cannot be an advaitin: he or she has duties to himself and his family and society. So one has to be a monk living in an ashram to be able to practice advaita as Consciousness. This is because one needs thoughts to act on to withstand evil that one needs to tackle to survive with ones family in tact. This is something I learnt today.