• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is a advaitin in Hindu philosophy?

Shantanu

o_O I have no idea what this means.
A belief is nothing by itself if it's implications are not practiced. To say that Consciousness is everything that there is means that one has to accommodate oneself with that Reality in physical terms, meaning in the actions that one performs: to be part of Nature perfectly or to be part of God's view on what I should do with my life as @George-ananda says to my understanding. I could do neither, to be part of the Universal Consciousness or to take directions from a God. Either way that would have been appropriately described as being an advaitin in my view. To say that one is an advaitin raises questions on how we conduct ourselves as advaitins. Hence the thread I raised on dharma and advaita here: How are dharma and advaita related?.

I decided that I could not do that as a householder because I have to earn enough money to look after our needs and so I try to do things to that end. I also had to fight my enemies who are out to destroy my way of life through persecution. So I could not be an advaitin and have reverted to Saty-advaitist this morning as my label for the world-view that I represent. I am with attachments to my family and society. I think about what I am going to do next so do not consciously meditate for a thought-free existence. I live so I want to live to fulfil my dharma.

Am I making myself clear?

Last edited: