• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Decides What Is the Meaning Of Your Life?

Who decides the meaning of your life?

• Total voters

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Who do you let decide what is the meaning of your life? Do you look to holy scripture to decide it? Do you look to some other authority to decide it? Do you look to yourself to decide it?

jacquie4000

They may be things that influence the meaning of my life...But ultimily I am the one who makes the decission to the meaning of my life.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Sunstone said:
Who do you let decide what is the meaning of your life? Do you look to holy scripture to decide it? Do you look to some other authority to decide it? Do you look to yourself to decide it?
Even people who look to the holy scripture or some other external source to decide the meaning of their lives do so because they've decided to make that the basis of their meaning. You can choose to submit; you can choose to rebel; you can choose to ignore and create something else. Regardless, you are the one who decides what your life means. Others may influence but you alone are responsible.

"I am the decider. I decide."
(hehehe)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
lilithu said:
Others may influence but you alone are responsible.

"I am the decider. I decide."
(hehehe)

Works for me.

I would be a bit puzzled by anyone who claimed differently. :sorry1:

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
Ultimately I'd say 'tis a mixture of my environment, both past and present, and my biological nature. (I eventually voted for "Society and/or my environment", as I would chose that as the primary cause if forced to pick)

While 'I' may indeed decide what the meaning of my life is, that 'I' itself is determined by those two factors; at least, in my partially-humble opinion. :)

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
Sunstone said:

Ultimately myself, but not in an arbitrary fashion. I need to examine facts about myself, such as my dreams, talents, life circumstances, etc, in order to find what really matters to me, and then I create meaning in the selection of what it is I then pursue.

eudaimonia,

Mark

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Nordicßearskin said:
Ultimately I'd say 'tis a mixture of my environment, both past and present, and my biological nature. (I eventually voted for "Society and/or my environment", as I would chose that as the primary cause if forced to pick)

While 'I' may indeed decide what the meaning of my life is, that 'I' itself is determined by those two factors; at least, in my partially-humble opinion. :)
Well then the question is, "Who/what is my self?" ;)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Sunstone said:
If you tell me what it is, I'll tell you who decides it.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
All of the above, except the Latvians. Believe it or not, they have about as much power in Europe as Bosnia does. lol

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
Me, I suppose, if I'd a mind to decide on one. I don't really. I'm happy with a "meaningless" life.

That would be my answer, anyway, if I really understood what attributes a "meaning" of life is supposed to have and how asking what that meaning would be is even a coherent question. The question itself seems to be a meaningless one (heehee!) and I find myself more and more mystified by why one would even bother to ask it.

"Meaning" to me, doesn't even seem to be something that could apply to life.

So maybe my real answer is; no one decides, because life having a "meaning" in the first place seems to be nonsense.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I am obliged to do the choosing... I have free will.

However The choices I have are bounded by relationships to the world
and my faith in God.

Kay

Towards the Sun
I voted "myself." I was going to vote the Latvians, but they'd track me down and hurt me for breaking the code of silence.

Oops. :cover:

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
God gave us free will to choose, so ultimately it is up to me! However, my religion plays a big part in shaping my values and it has a very big influence on my life.That doesn't mean that I will go around breaking a whole set of rules from our scriptures and say "I choose to" because I know that if I break any serious rules, there will be dire consequences. I will say - God and myself. After all, it is only because of God that I have that choice in the first place.

I didn't vote though because I see it as a combination of myself and God.

Hey I just realized that Terry's perspective is similar to my own...

Terrywoodenpic said:
I am obliged to do the choosing... I have free will.

However The choices I have are bounded by relationships to the world
and my faith in God.

Mavrikmind

jacquie4000 said:
They may be things that influence the meaning of my life...But ultimily I am the one who makes the decission to the meaning of my life.

My sentiments exactly, you took the words right out of my head :D

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Hema said:
God gave us free will to choose, so ultimately it is up to me! However, my religion plays a big part in shaping my values and it has a very big influence on my life.That doesn't mean that I will go around breaking a whole set of rules from our scriptures and say "I choose to" because I know that if I break any serious rules, there will be dire consequences. I will say - God and myself. After all, it is only because of God that I have that choice in the first place.

I didn't vote though because I see it as a combination of myself and God.

Hey I just realized that Terry's perspective is similar to my own...

I cheated, because I voted "Other or Depends. "

- For much the same reasons as you; I suppose the answer has to be God through me; it is just a case of "Am I understanding and hearing what he is asking of me ?"