• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Decides What Is the Meaning Of Your Life?

Who decides the meaning of your life?

• Total voters

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Noone, not even myself. Meanings change from moment to moment, to say that these meanings all turn upon a single point of my existence would be foolishness.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
michel said:
I cheated, because I voted "Other or Depends. "

- For much the same reasons as you; I suppose the answer has to be God through me; it is just a case of "Am I understanding and hearing what he is asking of me ?"

I was wondering if to vote that way too. I just thought of something. There is a saying “Let Go and let God.” For instance, when something is too big for our hands, we should leave it in God’s hands. In such a case, we make a choice to let God do what he/she thinks is best. We can make a choice to let God make the choice. Come to think of it, this might actually be the better way to live because God knows best….”Thy Will Be Done.” The Bhagvad Gita says that if we put all our faith and trust in God, he will personally take care of all our needs; or what about the Christian hymn "What a friend we have in Jesus"..."what a privelege to carry everything to God in prayer."

Buttercup

Veteran Member
This was difficult question for me to answer. Because "meaning" and "guiding or deciding authority" are two different entities.

The meaning of my life is not entirely for me to decide.

As far as who guides my life or who's authority I follow.....it changes throughout all of our lives and is never stuck on one influence but a conglomeration or melding of incoming ideas from all around.

Right now for me however, the direction in my life is governed largely by my family. And I'm happy with that.

dbakerman76

God's Nephew
It's all me. I'm responsible for myself in every regard. Ultimately, its me who decides what the meaning is or whether there is in fact any meaning whatsoever.

BFD_Zayl

take heed, i hold my life in my hands, try to take it away and change it and i will steal yours away and watch it wither, this is not a threat but a statement, if you are threatened by it then that means you wish to controll my life and you should be afraid. but i think everybody here should feel nice and safe, because i want you to feel nice and safe...and so do you, so in order to feel nice and safe you will not alter my life. am i clear?

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
For me, I'd break it down like this.

God and/or holy scripture: 30%
Society and/or my environment: 05%
Some authority other than God: 10% (Mainly because I'm not free)
Myself: 50%
The Latvians: 5% (this is the chaos factor).

Ozzie

I take it for granted that I live in a cultural milieu that basically provides parameters within which choices I make mould my reality or meaning so to speak. Even if I go live with the Latvians I would take some of that with me. The Latvians would then have a piece of me also. The big texts might have some effect on me directly if I read them, but as they are infused into the culture I'm sure they have influence me anyway.