• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Are You?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
In Hinduism, it's referred to as the Self. (capitalised) But it's not describable. Still it is the very core of you, and identical to Brahman in essence, supposedly. Has to be experienced mystically in order to be understood. That's very very rare.

How can one experience this Self? Also, isn't it kinda strange that a person has to go through an experience in order to find their True Self?
1) Has to be experienced tells me "can't be Googled or so"
2) "To be understood" is different from "find their True Self"
Anyway words will be insufficient always; even an obstacle

atanu

Premium Member
And I claim the exact opposite...that I am all of those things, mind, body, personality, ego, experience past and present, hopes, desires, and more.

Further, I claim that "who I am" is ephemeral, as all of those things change from moment to moment, but that there is continuity of the "I' living from moment to moment through all the changes. And I will continue thus until the moment of my death, and then there will be no "I."

I continues through all changes that the I can observe. So why do you say that I is all those changeable things/aspects?

Do you know the I that you say that I will die? What evidence you have that the I will vanish? I agree that the I’s association with things will finish, as it happens in sleep also. How do you know that the I will vanish?

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
Actually thinking it over, I think 'I' can be defined as the totality or accumulation of one's memories and experiences as one goes throughout life therefore IMO there is no fixed or core 'I' since 'I' am always changing as my memories and experiences change. That definition might seem a bit materialistic but as far as I'm aware I have no good reason to think that existence goes beyond the material.

Memories do not read memories, however.

atanu

Premium Member
Actually thinking it over, I think 'I' can be defined as the totality or accumulation of one's memories and experiences as one goes throughout life therefore IMO there is no fixed or core 'I' since 'I' am always changing as my memories and experiences change. That definition might seem a bit materialistic but as far as I'm aware I have no good reason to think that existence goes beyond the material.

Memories do not read memories, however.

What does that mean?

Memory may be RAM, ROM or any other type. But does such memory possess a self? Furthermore, how does one know the constant changeability of the objects of cognition?

Actually, the Neti-Neti enquiry entails stripping away all memory layers to reveal the core that knows all the changes. Nothing that is of name-form can stand as self.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Actually, the Neti-Neti enquiry entails stripping away all memory layers to reveal the core that knows all the changes. Nothing that is of name-form can stand as self
How is something known without being observed? This is where I am stuck, and why my answer to "Who am I?" is "unknown". As I observe it, it is excluded from neti-neti? All that is left is the question. All that is left is "unknown".

Am I missing something(s)?

stvdv

All that is left is the question

so, no mind ... then, no question even ...

Am I missing something(s)?
Whenever a questions arises, ask yourself "to whom does this question pertain?"

Literally 'nothing' is left?
Whenever a questions arises, ask yourself "to whom does this question pertain?"

Until the mind gives up ... I met a Master who did this practice (Papaji) ... took 3 years 24/7 hard work he said

shivsomashekhar

In Vedanta, or more specifically jnana yoga and Advaita Vedanta, there is a process called neti neti which is a Sanskrit term meaning 'not this, not this.' It is an analysis of what one truly is through the process of negation. In essence, anything one can observe is not who they are in their true nature. I can observe my breathing, therefore I am not my breathing. I can observe my thoughts, therefore I am not my thoughts. I can observe my body, therefore I am not my body. And so on.

In your simplest, most basic, and truest form, who are you?

You are @SalixIncendium - plain and simple. There is no reason to doubt this and no way to break this down any further.

Memory tells you who you are for without memory, there is no concept of identity and you would not ask this question. Your body is an intrinsic part of this identity.

If you disagree with this, then I would be very curious about the identity of the entity that is disagreeing. Who is disagreeing?

stvdv

You are @SalixIncendium - plain and simple. There is no reason to doubt this and no way to break this down any further.
Memory tells you who you are for without memory, there is no concept of identity and you would not ask this question. Your body is an intrinsic part of this identity
If you disagree with this, then I would be very curious about the identity of the entity that is disagreeing. Who is disagreeing?
Interesting OP and interesting responses.

IMHO Self Enquiry (Who Am I) is about "Self" ... "Enquiry"
First step would be "stick to my own thoughts" if I understand this "who am i" process correctly
So stay far away from "Other Enquiry"

Last edited:

shivsomashekhar

Interesting OP and interesting responses.

IMHO Self Enquiry (Who Am I) is about "Self" ... "Enquiry"
First step would be "stick to my own thoughts" if I understand this "who am i" process correctly
So stay far away from "Other Enquiry"

Who is asking the question "Who am I?"

Why would you ask yourself who you are? You already know who you are (unless, you are in a Jason Bourne like situation).

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Memory tells you who you are for without memory, there is no concept of identity and you would not ask this question. Your body is an intrinsic part of this identity.

I asked, “Who are you?”

I know who I am. :)