• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who are modern day Pharisees?

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
In Jesus’ day, a Pharisee was characterized by knowing the law, ie the Ten Commandments, keeping up a good appearance, while neglecting the heart, and putting lesser parts of the law (thithes and offerings), above justice and mercy. They were also quick to stone sinners. IMO, that can apply to a lot of people in America beyond those who call themselves religious. Probably most Americans can quote scripture regardless of whether they profess to believe in it. It’s always been popular to put good appearances. The condition of the heart probably doesn’t get talked about as much as it should. And these days it seems more and more popular to stone people for ‘crimes’ saying the wrong thing, laughing at the wrong things, voting for the wrong person, etc.

idav

Being
Premium Member
In Jesus’ day, a Pharisee was characterized by knowing the law, ie the Ten Commandments, keeping up a good appearance, while neglecting the heart, and putting lesser parts of the law (thithes and offerings), above justice and mercy. They were also quick to stone sinners. IMO, that can apply to a lot of people in America beyond those who call themselves religious. Probably most Americans can quote scripture regardless of whether they profess to believe in it. It’s always been popular to put good appearances. The condition of the heart probably doesn’t get talked about as much as it should. And these days it seems more and more popular to stone people for ‘crimes’ saying the wrong thing, laughing at the wrong things, voting for the wrong person, etc.
By Bible standards all cities must be like the nearest Babylon.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
"Who are modern day Pharisees?" Well, historically speaking, modern-day Jews are if you look at the formation of Rabbinic Judaism around the first and second centuries AD. And given Jesus' overall teachings, Christians are also modern-day Pharisees.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The gospel that is hardest on the Pharisees is John, but he is not describing all kinds of pharisees. Pharisees live before modern universities, but they are like a large mobile university with its various functionaries. There are the elites, the administrators, lecturers, liberals and the conservatives and the researchers and the guidance counselors and students of various levels. They are part of this entire institution and way of life, however in the gospels Jesus is usually harsh and focuses upon problems. Often, too the Pharisees get lumped together with 'The Jewish Leaders' in John who try to get Jesus executed. These leaders including a priest named Caiaphas are presented as wolves surrounding him and hoping for him to die! One thing to take from John is 18:31 where Pilate is arguing with the Jewish leaders is that this verse points out that even then it is understood that execution actually is not permitted in the law. This is often a surprise to people who have read various laws which mention stoning, and in fact also helps put into perspective a passage in John where supposedly the Pharisees are about to stone Jesus. In fact they are not permitted to stone him and know it. When I read chapter 19 of John I have to wonder how these chief priests shouting for Jesus crucifixion can have anything to do with Judaism at all as they call for the execution of a man. It is like the entire world sits on its head in that moment.

idav

Being
Premium Member
What the Pharisees did to Jesus was try and stone him for calling himself God, that's really the same reason the Trinitarians banished the Arians.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Of course Pharisees were Jewish violating SJW and PC standards of 2017-18 due to it being an anti-semitic statement.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I think a lot of Republicans and more than a few Democrats in congress are modern day Pharisees.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Jehovas believe like the Arians.
OK. But, the subject is about who is like the Pharisees.

I understand Pharisees are about knowing and obeying what God says. Or, what they believe God says.

I think there is a difference between obeying God and obeying the law.
The Law is second hand. God is always and forever First.

idav

Being
Premium Member
OK. But, the subject is about who is like the Pharisees.

I understand Pharisees are about knowing and obeying what God says. Or, what they believe God says.

I think there is a difference between obeying God and obeying the law.
The Law is second hand. God is always and forever First.
See post 6

Jeremiah Ames

Pharisees are religious self righteous individuals. The name can be used for many people in the churches today. These are modern day Pharisees.
Very simple, nothing complex.
Jesus wants a person to become righteous in Him, yet religion breeds self righteousness, precisely what Jesus was against.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
See post 6
I think the Trinitarians would not bother doing anything to the JW Arians.
It is the other way around with the Jehovah's Witnesses. They say that all people who believe in God as a Trinity will be eliminated ie stoned.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I think the Trinitarians would not bother doing anything to the JW Arians.
It is the other way around with the Jehovah's Witnesses. They say that all people who believe in God as a Trinity will be eliminated ie stoned.
Oh wow ok, I didn't know they were so passionate about it too.

PureX

Veteran Member
Thomas Merton wrote that a Pharisee is, “a righteous man whose righteousness is nourished by the blood of sinners.”

David T

Premium Member

the antimonian voice calling to task the previous nonsense who's collective spiritual voice of the landscape is Al Gore just says you are crazy.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Michael Jackson, I think one of the best voices ever. Too bad the world drove him crazy.
What a group! 1985 USA For Africa

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Jesus' argument with the Pharisees appears to most likely be a "family argument" because Jesus was working from a Pharisee, albeit quite a very liberal one, paradigm.