• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White people cannot be poor by definition?!

Curious George

Veteran Member
If statistical trends do not hold true for individuals who belong to the set they describe, what meaning do they have?
They are descriptions of the set. Not individual cases. Therefore applying them to individual cases is incorrect. This is like assuming that x is more likely to be a criminal based on the color of their skin. It is incorrect.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
"Typical treatment of whites by blacks", you say? Really?

I wonder why your experience of blacks is so very, very different from mine? I'm genuinely puzzled.

perhaps I am being hyperbolic but in my environment I am referring to older blacks who live in "economically challenged areas." There is a notion of somebody being, "too white" for their own good. This is why it is uncomfortable to have my fiancee with me at times

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Me and my sister found it funny but at the same time I paid it no attention initially since this is typical treatment in my eyes of whites by blacks. This happens all the time and every couple of days for me as I see further tensions being made between Europeans and western living Africans.

I have never heard it before either but the guy seemed pretty average as far as his mental capacity although filled with a lot of rage.

Alright...

Last edited:

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Alright...

This is called contextomy and is a very bad fallacy.

I first made a broad statement concerning racism and how blacks treat whites in poorer neighborhoods. In the second one I am answering another user and his amazement at a specific racial argument I have never heard of. To say I experience racism is one thing but to say that it somehow means I have experienced EVERY kind of racism is just stretching it . . . a lot.

I have seen you do this before but it only makes you look very bad or manipulative toward information given. Context is one thing but purposefully ignoring or misrepresenting a person's views is another. I hold no sympathy for liars, conmen or thiefs in an environment where their dignity means everything.

Curious George

Veteran Member

I first made a broad statement concerning racism and how blacks treat whites in poorer neighborhoods. In the second one I am answering another user and his amazement at a specific racial argument I have never heard of. To say I experience racism is one thing but to say that it somehow means I have experienced EVERY kind of racism is just stretching it . . . a lot.

I have seen you do this before but it only makes you look very bad or manipulative toward information given. Context is one thing but purposefully ignoring or misrepresenting a person's views is another. I hold no sympathy for liars, conmen or thiefs in an environment where their dignity means everything.
I think it might have been a misunderstanding. The way your original post was written, I think many of us assumed that you were asserting the given behavior was common. It seems a little confusing to offer a non standard example of behavior that you believe is categorically standard.

But, I do think I better understand your point of view after you have elaborated further.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

You might want to do yourself a favor and try less hard to sound controversial or edgy next time you write an OP. If people take what you say within the greater perspective of views and similar prejudices you have generally expressed before in addition to the tone they are usually expressed in, maybe it's your issue, not theirs. Also, nowhere did I state that you "have experienced EVERY kind of racism"; perhaps you need to reconsider what you read into what I said.

As for your last sentence, talking about "dignity" in a thread where the OP starts off with a racist generalization is only a little bit more impressive than your other attempts at argumentation in this thread.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
As for your last sentence, talking about "dignity" in a thread where the OP starts off with a racist generalization is only a little bit more impressive than your other attempts at argumentation in this thread.
His one generalization about race in the OP was qualified
by ".... this is typical treatment in my eyes of whites by blacks.".
I originally read this as not a statement about the reality of race
relations, but rather how he personally saw it (underlined for emphasis).

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
His one generalization about race in the OP was qualified by ".... this is typical treatment in my eyes of whites by blacks.". I originally read this as not a statement about the reality of race relations, but rather how he personally saw it (underlined for emphasis).

If the OP clarifies that he doesn't believe his generalizing opinion holds true for most people, that is a different story. But so far I haven't seen him do that. We'll see.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
You might want to do yourself a favor and try less hard to sound controversial or edgy next time you write an OP. If people take what you say within the greater perspective of views and similar prejudices you have generally expressed before in addition to the tone they are usually expressed in, maybe it's your issue, not theirs. Also, nowhere did I state that you "have experienced EVERY kind of racism"; perhaps you need to reconsider what you read into what I said.

Again, ignoring 99% of what I say. I am only referring to my neighborhood and neighborhoods like it. There is a great commonality in what I am comparing opposed to sweeping entire groups of people which would obviously be unfair since people like me who are biracial get our own list of issues especially involving women.

One of these issues got me kicked out a school due to race and predatory sexual behaviour.

Also you obviously made an overstatement regarding what I said followed by a massive irrelevancy.

Also the thread title is not remotely edgy since unlike a drunken scene-kid I am not making a statement about reality or expressing my own views. I am mocking somebody else's. With this logic it is "edgy" to point out falsehood, which you made a series of poor attempts to do so while creating your own.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
If the OP clarifies that he doesn't believe his generalizing opinion holds true for most people, that is a different story. But so far I haven't seen him do that. We'll see.

I already have . . . :facepalm:

Me and my sister found it funny but at the same time I paid it no attention initially since this is typical treatment in my eyes of whites by blacks. This happens all the time and every couple of days for me as I see further tensions being made between Europeans and western living Africans.

I should further add I live in a welltodo part of an otherwise ghetto. Is this the norm in the hood or is it the exception?

I did even better and stated that this was a geographical experience as well. I would like to give you the world's smallest violin but Hillary Clinton isn't done playing with it.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I think it might have been a misunderstanding. The way your original post was written, I think many of us assumed that you were asserting the given behavior was common. It seems a little confusing to offer a non standard example of behavior that you believe is categorically standard.

But, I do think I better understand your point of view after you have elaborated further.

As I said, I think it is purely geographical or at least in the cities of California. I have never experienced this down south regardless of economic position or city. It could be a byproduct of thought left over from African migration from the Southern states to the Western side of the U.S. I have never made sense of it because I always find African American neighborhood with poor conditions to be brooding with all sorts of silliness oppose to areas with younger blacks or more wealthier blacks.

I experience this with my neighborhood who rattled on and on about some pretty racist views toward Asians and Whites. He seemed nice for many years until he expressed his own views about life and regarded whites as inherently evil and called Asians greedy by nature.

This sort of thinking as I said before goes exclusively amongst older black southerners and those living in the city. But I never experience this in black southerners who still live in the south regardless of age. I have never been able to piece it together myself quite frankly because racism is naturally complex and leads otherwise good people to hold very nutty opinions and racism skips no race.

Curious George

Veteran Member
As I said, I think it is purely geographical or at least in the cities of California. I have never experienced this down south regardless of economic position or city. It could be a byproduct of thought left over from African migration from the Southern states to the Western side of the U.S. I have never made sense of it because I always find African American neighborhood with poor conditions to be brooding with all sorts of silliness oppose to areas with younger blacks or more wealthier blacks.

I experience this with my neighborhood who rattled on and on about some pretty racist views toward Asians and Whites. He seemed nice for many years until he expressed his own views about life and regarded whites as inherently evil and called Asians greedy by nature.

This sort of thinking as I said before goes exclusively amongst older black southerners and those living in the city. But I never experience this in black southerners who still live in the south regardless of age. I have never been able to piece it together myself quite frankly because racism is naturally complex and leads otherwise good people to hold very nutty opinions and racism skips no race.
My point was that the OP was not as clear that you were referring to your experience with prejudiced attitudes towards "white" people. I also believed you were suggesting that "white people could not be poor" was a common attitude that you witnessed.

I see now that this is an instance of the category 'prejudiced behavior towards "white" people.'

Now I understand that the title was so based on the example and the specific attitude in the example wasn't that which you found typical; you percieved the prejudice typical. While I think this is a generalization and that your view that omits qualifiers such as "some" or "many" indicates that you might have some bias, I now better understand what you were trying to say.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
His one generalization about race in the OP was qualified
by ".... this is typical treatment in my eyes of whites by blacks.".
Qualified, but a terrible statement that is grossly inaccurate. Neither group is perfect, but not even most white people get awkward and act strange around black people and not even most black people are racist towards white people. It's why anecdotal evidence isn't worth much, because in my experience from every day life I don't get this poor treatment, as a manager the crap I got was normal employee/supervisor struggles, and now in my current job I have a couple of black clients who will ask "how high?" if I tell them to jump.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And yet very often our reflections of what we think is reality is not reality.
I give the OP credit for candor in noting that this was a personal observation.
Sure, it was an overly broad perspective (IMO), so I read what he felt as personal criticism.
Too many here are quick to claim their opinions as inerrant fact. Good for those who hold
controversial opinions, & recognize that they're only personal opinions.

Dang, the way this is going on & on, he'll think I'm coming on to him.
(I'm not.)