• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which religion has love?

rusra02

Premium Member
Jesus said "I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, that you also love one another.By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.” (John 13:34,35) which religion, in your opinion, is identified by the love they have for one another?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Jesus said "I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, that you also love one another.By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.” (John 13:34,35) which religion, in your opinion, is identified by the love they have for one another?

Wait, let me think. No. no. Don't tell me -- it's coming to me. Chr...chris...Chrysanthemums! The religion of Chrysanthemums! Am I right? Huh, am I right?

I truly believe neither. There's too many conditions in religion for people to "truly" love one another. Let's take Christianity as an example since it's the largest religion in the world. Christians are suppose to be following Jesus Christ who preached on loving and caring for the poor. However, in today's society with Christianity being th e LARGEST religion there is, we still have poverty increasing to record numbers. How is that?

Now if the largest religion on Earth that is built around showing love to one another can't get it right then what does that say about every other religion behind it? But what's so strange to me is that other religious extremists are publicized for their beliefs through media when it disagrees with Christianity, but how many times have a Christian been publicized for just doing what Christians should do? Now, they are just building up an adversary, or Ha-Satan, in order to get people to go along with their agenda. *Quick lesson: ha-Satan is Hebrew for "the opposer"*

God is Love.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member

Though not a religion, secular humanism.

rusra02

Premium Member
I truly believe neither. There's too many conditions in religion for people to "truly" love one another. Let's take Christianity as an example since it's the largest religion in the world. Christians are suppose to be following Jesus Christ who preached on loving and caring for the poor. However, in today's society with Christianity being th e LARGEST religion there is, we still have poverty increasing to record numbers. How is that?

Now if the largest religion on Earth that is built around showing love to one another can't get it right then what does that say about every other religion behind it? But what's so strange to me is that other religious extremists are publicized for their beliefs through media when it disagrees with Christianity, but how many times have a Christian been publicized for just doing what Christians should do? Now, they are just building up an adversary, or Ha-Satan, in order to get people to go along with their agenda. *Quick lesson: ha-Satan is Hebrew for "the opposer"*

God is Love.
I would agree the majority professing Christianity are not following Christ's teachings. Jesus even said many would profess to be his followers, but would really be workers of lawlessness. (Matthew 7:21-23) So among all the false Christians, I believe there must be true followers of Christ.

dantech

For some reason, Jesus said that he is the one giving you a NEW commandment... I don't get it. The commandment about loving one another is from the Torah, and has been since before Jesus existed.
Leviticus 19:18 and 19:34

In Judaism we need to love our neigbors as ourselves. We need to love strangers as ourselves. We need to love God wholeheartedly. We need to love our commandments and our Torah, etc...

I'd say Judaism has a lot of love, even though many think of it as a harsh hateful religion

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Was not Shintoism implicated in Japan's involvement in WWII?
I believe it was at the same time that Christianity was implicated in Germany's final solution. So Shintoism and Christianity, or Hirohito and Jesus... destined for love. Fatal love.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
For some reason, Jesus said that he is the one giving you a NEW commandment... I don't get it. The commandment about loving one another is from the Torah, and has been since before Jesus existed.
Leviticus 19:18 and 19:34

In Judaism we need to love our neigbors as ourselves. We need to love strangers as ourselves. We need to love God wholeheartedly. We need to love our commandments and our Torah, etc...

I'd say Judaism has a lot of love, even though many think of it as a harsh hateful religion

And to add to what's well written above, we are also people of the Talmud, which polished smoother some of the sharper edges.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
While the Gospel describes Jesus paying lip-service to love, it also describes Jesus foretelling some decidedly unloving but supposedly "godly" acts; there's no love in damning all but a few people. If the Gospels is identified by anything about love, I'd say that it's identified by hypocrisy about love.

And does it actually work to command a person to love? From my perspective, you may as well be telling someone to decide to have a different favourite food. I've never found love to be a matter of choice.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The Christian movement is love. The religion -- that is, the institution, polity, doctrines, -- is not love, it's structure. The movement is about relationships built on love. The religion is not. Therefore, the question, "which religion..." is moot.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Besides Christianity, Judaism and Buddhism have compassion and justice being their main drives.