• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Bible English translation do you prefer?

Which English translation do you use? (up to 2 choices)

• English Standard Version (ESV)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good News Bible (GNB/GNBDC/GNBDK)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Thinking Homer

Understanding and challenging different worldviews
I grew up reading the New International Version (NIV) most of my life, but in recent years I have started reading other translations like the New Living Translation (NLT) and the English Standard Version (ESV). Which English translations do you prefer, and what is your reason? Do you tend to stick to one version or do you read multiple versions? Let me know in the comments :)

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
I'm not religious myself, but I know my girlfriend uses the King James version. I haven't seen her use any other translations, by the way.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I'm starting to enjoy The Passion Translation, but generally will look at multiple. Cut my teeth on the KJV which helps for locating scriptures and tying it into the Strong's Concordance.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I grew up reading the New International Version (NIV) most of my life, but in recent years I have started reading other translations like the New Living Translation (NLT) and the English Standard Version (ESV). Which English translations do you prefer, and what is your reason? Do you tend to stick to one version or do you read multiple versions? Let me know in the comments :)

I always preferred Young's Literal Translation. Seemed to be the most objective. Then I'd check the NIV just to see if it could provide some clarity.

BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages. Will allow you to quickly switch between versions so you can compare.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Other all of the above. Foot noted and comparative translations are the best for me. There are specific verses that are better reflected in later translations.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
In English, I like the KJV, the only free version and a lot of effort was put into it.

In Hebrew, I like the Pentateuch with Samson Raphael Hirsch. Much much better than English! This is a translation but you are dealing with the Hebrew letter by letter.

Last edited:

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Hello. As @shunyadragon said, I think it is useful to compare many. I like the style of the KJV but scholars have pointed out some inaccuracies (after it was written, older and more authoritative sources were discovered).

I am most of the way through a new translation of the NT by David Bentley Hart. His goal was to put forth the most literal translation possible. Many illuminating footnotes!

Peace

Last edited:

Ellen Brown

I use the KJV because it has lasted longer than my mate, and I know it better for its strengths and weaknesses. I survived High School Shakespear, so I can read the KJV.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Esword is the best translation, with KJV+, Greek ABP+, HOT+, KJV concordance, and with the dictionaries to verify the words.

In my opinion. :innocent:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The KJV is the most poetic and evocative of the translations but as I understand it not the most accurate. I'd love to see a KJV with inserted notes where better translations have been made.

Ellen Brown

The KJV is the most poetic and evocative of the translations but as I understand it not the most accurate. I'd love to see a KJV with inserted notes where better translations have been made.

I once saw an Annotated KJV that did that. This was back in the 70s and all sorts of things were available. I also saw a Bible that had 4 different versions side by side. It was heavy.

Matt 27:52-53 is not in all Bibles, and I especially want that in any version I read.

Thinking Homer

Understanding and challenging different worldviews
I once saw an Annotated KJV that did that. This was back in the 70s and all sorts of things were available. I also saw a Bible that had 4 different versions side by side. It was heavy.

Matt 27:52-53 is not in all Bibles, and I especially want that in any version I read.

I think as more manuscripts are being discovered and as more work is put into textual criticism, we are getting a better idea of which passages belonged in the original autographs, and which ones were added in later (Matt 27:52-53 would be such an example.) I think we shouldn't see it in a negative light that a few verses will disappear in the newer versions, as it would be even closer to what the Apostles originally wrote :grinning:

Skwim

Veteran Member

shopping

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
@Thinking Homer...as a JW I appreciate the accuracy and readability of the NWT, but it is by no means the only translation I use, especially here on these forums. I love to compare and resolve translation issues using Strongs Concordance. We have so many research tools available to us if we are genuine students of God's word. It is one harmonious story from Genesis to Revelation, which means that it does not contradict itself.

I like the ASV because it uses God's name as does the YLT. Holman uses God's name as well. It makes me angry when translations deliberately choose to eliminate the divine name from Jehovah's own guidebook. No human author would tolerate their name being removed from their own work.

I grew up with the KJV and studied it before becoming a JW. It was the only Bible I owned. I believe that the truth can be gleaned from any accurate translation because it is God who opens spiritual eyes to comprehend the truth of his word.

The rendering of John 1:1 is also more in keeping with the rest of scripture, since there is nothing in the Bible to suggest any equality between the Father and his son. Replacing the Father with the son as "God" (which I believe Christendom has done) is actually a breach of the first Commandment. (Exodus 20:3)

I have been an avid student of God's word for over 45 years. I just love it!

74x12

I use multiple different translations but tend to prefer the most literal ones.