• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Bible English translation do you prefer?

Which English translation do you use? (up to 2 choices)

• English Standard Version (ESV)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good News Bible (GNB/GNBDC/GNBDK)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I use Catholic translations. The NAB-RE and RSV-2nd Catholic Edition, mostly. Sometimes the Douay-Rheims is nice to look at but it's too confusing to really get into. I would like to get the versions of the Common Bible and the Third Millennium Bible that have the Apocrypha included. Someone needs to make decent translations of the Orthodox canons, too.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I look at different translations and compare.Once I learn Hebrew and greek I most definitely will be comparing it to the english translations.

12jtartar

Premium Member
I look at different translations and compare.Once I learn Hebrew and greek I most definitely will be comparing it to the english translations.

Ray Warren,
I have heard this before, but if you stop and think about, that really does not make sense. Why? Because the language that Hebrewsand Greeks spoke arecompletely different than Hebrew and Greek, today. Those languages were just like English, a living language, changing all the time. It would take you many years to learn those old languages, and there is really no reason for it. We all take people’s word for many things written, and do not question whether whatis written is accurate or not.
Do you believe that Abraham Lincoln lived??? Well, historians say that there is ore proof that Jesus lived, than there is that Abraham Lincoln lived. There has been much more written about Jesus than Lincoln.
There are many Bible translations that are accurate, so there is no reason to spend decades learning exactly what many Bibles already say. It is true that ALL Bibles have some mistakes in them. When you compare different translations, any inaccuracies are easily shown. I use over 50 Bibles, but it is to see exactly what words they use, because many Bibles say the same things, but some are a little more understandable to me than another. The true message that The Almighty God has inspired for us is in almost ALL Bibles, the mistakesare al ost always small things and do not distort the truth. Most errors are numbers and names. Memes also were numbers, and because there were several languages spoken in many places in the Bible, so names and places were sometimes written in different languages, usually the language they were born in.
I just noticed that there is a New, New International Bible,which seem to be very good, and it has notes to help the reader understand, the text without stopping to research something.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Ray Warren,
I have heard this before, but if you stop and think about, that really does not make sense. Why? Because the language that Hebrewsand Greeks spoke arecompletely different than Hebrew and Greek, today. Those languages were just like English, a living language, changing all the time. It would take you many years to learn those old languages, and there is really no reason for it. We all take people’s word for many things written, and do not question whether whatis written is accurate or not.
Do you believe that Abraham Lincoln lived??? Well, historians say that there is ore proof that Jesus lived, than there is that Abraham Lincoln lived. There has been much more written about Jesus than Lincoln.
There are many Bible translations that are accurate, so there is no reason to spend decades learning exactly what many Bibles already say. It is true that ALL Bibles have some mistakes in them. When you compare different translations, any inaccuracies are easily shown. I use over 50 Bibles, but it is to see exactly what words they use, because many Bibles say the same things, but some are a little more understandable to me than another. The true message that The Almighty God has inspired for us is in almost ALL Bibles, the mistakesare al ost always small things and do not distort the truth. Most errors are numbers and names. Memes also were numbers, and because there were several languages spoken in many places in the Bible, so names and places were sometimes written in different languages, usually the language they were born in.
I just noticed that there is a New, New International Bible,which seem to be very good, and it has notes to help the reader understand, the text without stopping to research something.

I do not believe that the meaning of the written language has changed that much. The spoken language in my limited knowledge I am less certain. From the Rosetta stone many other examples of translations through history we know a lot about the ancient languages.

VoidCat

Ray Warren,

I don't think the language it's in is too important but I do this to understand it more in depth.If you read the Bible in ancient Hebrew or greek it helps with in depth understanding.But I do believe the errors in english are not too significant so I agree with you on that.

VoidCat

I don't think the language it's in is too important but I do this to understand it more in depth.If you read the Bible in ancient Hebrew or greek it helps with in depth understanding.But I do believe the errors in english are not too significant so I agree with you on that.
I'll also add that I plan on becoming a religious scholar and teacher particularly in Christianity.So it would be great to know ancient greek and Hebrew for this reason.

12jtartar

Premium Member
I have a pretty strong preference for the Lexham English Bible.

masonlandry,
The truth of God’s word is in almost every Bible, the problem is now which Bible we use, the problem is; do we obey what we find that the Bible says we must do? The main difference in most Bibles is, just how much research must we do to fully understand what the Scriptures are saying. Some Bibles are easier to understand than others. Obeying what we learn is the main thing!!!

TheresOnlyNow

The Mind Is Everything. U R What U Think
I have a copy of "The Book" put out by Tyndale press years ago.
https://www.amazon.com/Book-NLT-Tyndale/dp/0842332847

I find it fascinating because it details the origins of the book of scripture one is about to read and details the author history.

What wasn't on your list also was the Mounce Interlinear Greek English translation. This is available at Biblegateway.com
It gives the Greek wording of the scripture, and you can click on a particular word to gain deeper understanding and other scripture wherein that particular word is used.
The NT was originally written in Koine Greek.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Most of the time while I was Christian, I used the NIV. As I became progressive, I changed to the New Revised Standard Version.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I use the King James Translation and as a backup the NIV.

I choose the King James, as this is the style of translation also chosen for the English translations of the Baha'i Writings by Shoghi Effendi.

He chose this style, as it better renders Arabic and Persian in a style more befitting of the original language to English readers.

Regards Tony