• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where would I *not* be considered a heretic?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I have the word "heretic" in my title for good reason! I'm wondering if there is any religion that wouldn't consider me an outsider and/or a heretic.

Here's what I'm looking for in a religion (short list)

Egalitarianism/Impartiality
  • Not tied to a specific culture, nation, or tribe
  • no caste system
  • no prescribed roles for men and women
  • equally accessible to those who want to marry and have families and those who wish to be reclusive celibates
  • not racist or sexist in any other manner

Since impartiality is a reasonable expectation for a religion, this is NON-NEGOTIABLE for me.

No Ritual Required
I'm not the least bit ritually inclined, but it is OK if others are. If ritual is expected of the members of the religion, it would probably drive me more towards reclusiveness in order to avoid it, if that would be acceptable to the religion in question.

This is negotiable.

Not Politicized
A politicized religion, especially one with a specific political agenda, would probably drive me more towards reclusiveness at best, and make me ill at worst.

Again, this is negotiable.

So, are there any religions left where I wouldn't be considered an outsider or a heretic?

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Certain forms of Buddhism and Taoism would fit, and possibly some forms of Hinduism. I can't really think of any others at the moment.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

• no caste system
  • equally accessible to those who want to marry and have families and those who wish to be reclusive celibates
Not an established religion, but you'd fit in fine with Just Me.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I feel that it comes down to how empowered you are to change the aims of the religion as a whole, since I don't see how a religion can ever be quite so completely devoid of rituals and political stances.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I think you should just be you.

I tried four years to find a religion and ultimately came up empty. I tried too hard to conform to various beliefs, but ended up sacrificing many things I believe in just to "fit in" with a particular group. There is no need to do such a thing.

It's only been a a little over a week since I've stopped searching, and already I have a better understanding of what I believe. When I view religion as an experience, rather than as an absolute, it makes more sense and also has more meaning to me. As I'm not tied to any particular belief, I can go to any service, puja, or meditation and feel a sense of contemplation and experience of what I consider to be "God".

Some food for thought?

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I think the best religion to follow, and it's more of a way of life than a religion, is Living. It's really simple and nothing is required except for; being alive and to run with the forces charging at you, not against them.

Philomath

Sadhaka
I have the word "heretic" in my title for good reason! I'm wondering if there is any religion that wouldn't consider me an outsider and/or a heretic.

• no caste system

Since impartiality is a reasonable expectation for a religion, this is NON-NEGOTIABLE for me.

No Ritual Required
I'm not the least bit ritually inclined, but it is OK if others are. If ritual is expected of the members of the religion, it would probably drive me more towards reclusiveness in order to avoid it, if that would be acceptable to the religion in question.

This is negotiable.

Not Politicized
A politicized religion, especially one with a specific political agenda, would probably drive me more towards reclusiveness at best, and make me ill at worst.

Again, this is negotiable.

So, are there any religions left where I wouldn't be considered an outsider or a heretic?

I don't think any religion meets all those qualifications, but you could start one.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Jediism, different types of neopaganism, new age-ish stuffs, etc.

Culture and sub-culture is the hard part. If it don't got any history or cultural characteristics....it will soon enough over time. I prefer way of life religion over dogma and truth-nuggets my self.

Everything else in life has a coloring, taste of my culture and ancestors' cultures so religion having such coloring or taste is natural and, for me, even preferred. It's in harmony with "non-religious" stuffs, whatever they are, that form of your experience, lessons, childhood, language, art, etc.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I've found that there's really only two universal religions, and by that I mean not relying on the culture they grew up in, or the culture they settled in, and that's Christianity and Buddhism. Hinduism and Islam are mostly universal, Hinduism moreso than Islam, but Christianity and Buddhism have very little to do with culture.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Understanding what you want a religion to not be is half the picture.
What do you want it to be?

For example, I could offer atheism. Not a religion, butkind fits. But if an afterlife or deity are considerations, it's not so hot.

crossfire

Premium Member
Thanks for all of the feedback.

I had figured these religions would fit the criteria: Buddhism, philosophical Taoism, Liberal Quakerism, some forms of liberal Christianity, and UU. I forgot about New Age.

Anything else I might be missing?

crossfire

Premium Member
I've found that there's really only two universal religions, and by that I mean not relying on the culture they grew up in, or the culture they settled in, and that's Christianity and Buddhism. Hinduism and Islam are mostly universal, Hinduism moreso than Islam, but Christianity and Buddhism have very little to do with culture.
Yeah, I've noticed that. Christianity and Buddhism are also available to those who don't want to get married and have families.

crossfire

Premium Member
Understanding what you want a religion to not be is half the picture.
What do you want it to be?

Egalitarian/impartial. :)

For example, I could offer atheism. Not a religion, butkind fits. But if an afterlife or deity are considerations, it's not so hot.
What sort of practice does atheism have to offer?

Last edited:

crossfire

Premium Member
Oh, maybe I should explain why I'm asking: I'm looking for a group in my area to meet with. I'm not having much success finding a suitable Buddhist group within my driving range, so I thought I'd expand my search to include other compatible religions. I looked for a Quaker group nearby a few years ago. So far the only one I've found in range requires a ferry trip. :eek: I'll keep looking, though. Thanks to all for your suggestions. :)

btw, I'm still open for more suggestions, if anyone has any more ideas.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Another alternative for a sort of spiritual community is look for groups who do hiking, camping, backpacking, etc. Rat race and urbanized lifestyle makes it very important for us I think, even if not a "nature worshipper"

Get lost out there from time to time where natural, organic foundations of religion, spirituality, philosophy all come from. Soaking up some clean air and becoming physically and mentally more healthy.

Go sit under a tree for an hour or next to a lake - listen to birds feel the tingle from the breeze, drink some water...

crossfire

Premium Member
Another alternative for a sort of spiritual community is look for groups who do hiking, camping, backpacking, etc. Rat race and urbanized lifestyle makes it very important for us I think, even if not a "nature worshipper"

Get lost out there from time to time where natural, organic foundations of religion, spirituality, philosophy all come from. Soaking up some clean air and becoming physically and mentally more healthy.

Go sit under a tree for an hour or next to a lake - listen to birds feel the tingle from the breeze, drink some water...
Yeah, you're prolly right. Back to reclusiveness for me! :D