• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where is the soul?

idav

Being
Premium Member
The soul would be a different frequency or vibration of your being. You can exist in various forms just as it is entirely possible that we might be able to bring our thoughts and memories to a readable medium through machines. It is located in the brain. Though I do think it is possible to transfer this medium for extended life I get the feeling that our being dissipates when our brain cells die. This is seen when people receive brain trauma and forget how to do things and sometimes our ability to function is impaired. If our being were not tied to our brain cells we wouldn't lose who we are when we have severe brain trauma.

St Giordano Bruno

The soul would be a different frequency or vibration of your being. You can exist in various forms just as it is entirely possible that we might be able to bring our thoughts and memories to a readable medium through machines. It is located in the brain. Though I do think it is possible to transfer this medium for extended life I get the feeling that our being dissipates when our brain cells die. This is seen when people receive brain trauma and forget how to do things and sometimes our ability to function is impaired. If our being were not tied to our brain cells we wouldn't lose who we are when we have severe brain trauma.

I look on the brain as being initially a collective genetic program, which is why a human brain is so much larger than other primates. If it wasn't for the fact episodic memories are laid down by individual brains they would all think as one unit over spacio-temporal location on one particular location on a rather non-descript galaxy somewhere in the universe. I think that is how I initially got my "soul" started in the first place because I initially existed as a collective unified principle common to all more primitive brains just slavishly obeying a genetic program rather than just thinking. So if my parents had never met I would have just simply become somebody else instead. There happens to be trillions of times more ways of not existing than existing such as the atoms of my body being shut on some dark and cold dead planet or in sediments on the bottom of the ocean which are to be subducted down into the earth's mantle. But anthropic bias only favours the expressions of existence.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Where is the soul? A very interesting and abstract question. To me in my present understanding the soul or "psyche" (as it is often refered to in metaphysical philosophy) resides in that part of the human brain which gives humans that sense of self-awareness and the ability for abstract thought. However, for some of us, this sense of self can also be defined as the very essence of Being. For some, the soul is only an illusion. For others, such as myself as a Setian, it is a very real phenomenon which we consentrate upon and work towards its absolute actualization through a process which we call Initiation, i.e. Xeper and Remanifestation, or Self-Evolution.

View the film "2001 A Space Odyssey", from beginning to end and you will get a general idea of what I am talking about, and remember, look upon the black monolith as Set or the Lord of Darkness, which will give you a better translation of the film from a Setian point of view. And will also give you a general understanding of what we Setians refer to as the "Gift of Set" to that which has become humankind.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I don't even know if we have souls.

There is the pagan teaching of a mysterious immortal [death-proof] 'soul'.
And according to Gen [2v7] there is the teaching that man does Not have a soul or possess a soul, but rather that man is a soul.

So, Adam [man] became a living soul not came to have a soul.
Man came to be a soul. A living soul. At death then becomes a lifeless soul.

elmarna

while i can say a soul would be looked at in a energy & or vibration. Where in the body it eminates from would be more in the nervous system. This would be that while feeling is manufactured before thought in a fetus the best reasonable conclusion I could say. once the brain started to produce thoughts it would become a inturperter more than a manufacturer.

Felidae

I haven't read much of the rest of this post.. why? Because this is one of the topics that makes me doubt between atheist and agnosticism. I don't really believe in a "soul" as such, but do I believe in us just being a heap of meat, muscles and nerves, no. Does this ATP that transfers energy define us from the hunk of meat at the butchers? No. I believe there's something that defines each body beyond the fabric they're made of. I just don't know what this something is. ;)I don't believe this something is confined to one particular bit of the body though, if it's there, there's a little something in each cell.

ruhnafsoul

ruhnafsoul
... and wasn't Adam also 'here' when Adam became a living soul according to Gen 2v7 ?

At death didn't Adam become a dead soul or a lifeless soul ?

From non-existence back to non-existence ?

.. a soul is like a man in a mirror..
All of us are souls..
A soul has no age.. no death.. once created, then is forever.

Death is a re-birth..
A death of soul from his current envelope (his flesh body) is a re- birth of soul into the other form of existance. A death from this current world is a re-birth into the other world.

Therefore, as for the matters of ADAM, he is neither become a dead soul nor a lifeless soul at his death. Indeed He is alived and ever living souls in the other world, and so as the others whom life has been created and existed. Only that the different between all souls are the soul who knows HIS LORD and the soul who doesnt knows HIS LORD.

The one who knows HIS LORD are alive and the one who doesnt know HIS LORD are dead.

forgive me MY LORD..

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
I don't even know if we have souls.

That is the primary question, isn't it? To me as a Setian the very ability to even ask that question, or to ask; do I exist, do I have a soul, if so, what does it do, where does it reside? etc. The ability to ask such abstract questions and to seek after the answers is in itself, at least to me, proof that we do indeed possess a "soul" or psyche centric self-awareness. "I think, therefore, I Am."

Twig pentagram

High Priest
That is the primary question, isn't it? To me as a Setian the very ability to even ask that question, or to ask; do I exist, do I have a soul, if so, what does it do, where does it reside? etc. The ability to ask such abstract questions and to seek after the answers is in itself, at least to me, proof that we do indeed possess a "soul" or psyche centric self-awareness. "I think, therefore, I Am."
What if a soul is not something that we possess, but something that we are?

atanu

Premium Member
... and wasn't Adam also 'here' when Adam became a living soul according to Gen 2v7 ?
At death didn't Adam become a dead soul or a lifeless soul ?
From non-existence back to non-existence ?

I think you may not be fully correct in your thinking.
"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."
(Matt. 10:28 KJV)
I think, Body-Soul-Spirit are equivalent to Body-jivaAtma (living soul)-paramAtman (Indwelling Supreme Lord) as understood in Hinduism. A Soul cannot be killed by men or in this world. And Soul departs from the physical body, as shown below:
"And it came to pass, as her soul was in departing, (for she died) that she called his name Benoni: but his father called him Benjamin."
(Genesis 35:18 KJV).
To summarise, a person is Body-Soul-Spirit. It is equivalent of Body-jivAtman-paraAtman. The body perishes. The Soul transmigrates, until it is absorbed. Spirit is constant in every being but is evident more or less due to impurities of work-mind.

Last edited:

Acim

Revelation all the time
So, where is the soul, and what does it do?

Even though I kinda said differently in another thread not more than 10 minutes ago, I understand soul to be enveloping body. Indeed, I've felt it this way before, though if even for a nanosecond I attempt to (intellectually) quantify it, the shift in perception renders it imperceptible.

Meditation is best exercise, apart from Grace (experience) that I'm aware of for realizing soul at acute level. With Grace, soul within, around, and with 'others' becomes viable experience. I would even say obvious / natural. This also changes dynamic of sex significantly, where body joining is no longer needed, even a little bit, for energy exchange / joining to occur or actualize.

With idea that energy is exchanged / joining, it seems (on hindsight or intellectually speaking) that soul is doing something. But from within acute awareness experience, and basic intellectual understanding, I think it is clear soul is being. That is a verb, as in: be-ing. When intellect thinks about it with low attention span (impatience), I sometimes conceive of soul experience as boring, along lines of "that's all it 'does' is be?" But through meditation, to some degree through contemplation, and for sure through Grace, the be-ing experience makes 'best orgasmic experience ever' seem like taking a nap in a library on a rainy day.

From my recollection, I was left with distinct impression of welcoming every single moment / situation with enormous joy, gratitude and playful innocence. Grace that is. Meditation, not so much, but glimpses of that can be found. Perhaps another way to connect or understand soul experience is how consciousness responds to music. Body finds rhythm and melody (as result of lower consciousness being stimulated from vibrations), but higher consciousness grooves in way that is hard to describe, though I think all reading this have decent idea. Like being in a zone where combination of ebb and flow is harmonized.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I think you may not be fully correct in your thinking.
"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."
(Matt. 10:28 KJV)
I think, Body-Soul-Spirit are equivalent to Body-jivaAtma (living soul)-paramAtman (Indwelling Supreme Lord) as understood in Hinduism. A Soul cannot be killed by men or in this world. And Soul departs from the physical body, as shown below:
"And it came to pass, as her soul was in departing, (for she died) that she called his name Benoni: but his father called him Benjamin."
(Genesis 35:18 KJV).
To summarise, a person is Body-Soul-Spirit. It is equivalent of Body-jivAtman-paraAtman. The body perishes. The Soul transmigrates, until it is absorbed. Spirit is constant in every being but is evident more or less due to impurities of work-mind.

Isn't 'hell' an English word whether one is talking about the 'pagan hell' or the
'Bible hell'? [Hebrew: sheol; Greek: hades/haides]

Mt. [10v28]: 'Destroy' both body and soul in [KJV] hell [sheol/hades]......
First of all, please note, as with Acts [3v23], the 'soul' can be 'destroyed'.

The word translated into English at Matt [10v28] as 'hell' is not the word 'sheol' or hades' but another word: Gehenna.

Gehenna was a garbage dump were things were destroyed not kept burning forever. So Gehenna [hell/hellfire] is just a fitting symbol for: destruction.
Destruction not by any human but destruction by God.

If you read Matt [10v28] without the word body the verse would read to be in fear of him that can kill the soul in the Gehenna garbage dump.

So, ones soul can depart in death. The dearly departed. Departed from life.
Gen [35v18] her soul [life] from the Hebrew: naphshah'; Greek: psykhen'.

Adam 'came to be' a soul, or Adam 'became' a soul. [Gen 2v7]
At death Adam was still a soul but Adam became a lifeless soul or dead soul.
-Ezekiel 18vs4,20

Isn't everything that is animated thus moves because it has spirit and energy?
We think of a high-spirited horse, or even a school pep rally used to create school spirit.

What would Not be fully correct about:
Acts [3v23] or James [5v20] or Psalm [78v50]?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
What if a soul is not something that we possess, but something that we are?

According to Scripture soul is Not something that we possess, but what we are.

According to Genesis [2v7] 'after' Adam received the breath of life, then Adam became a living soul. So, Adam did not possess a soul but Adam was a soul.

A breathless soul would be a dead soul.
Since no one can resurrect oneself or another we need someone to do that for us. Need someone that can resurrect us back to life either to heaven [Rev 20v6;5vs9,10], or to a resurrection on earth during Jesus 1000-year reign over earth.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
.. a soul is like a man in a mirror..
All of us are souls..
A soul has no age.. no death.. once created, then is forever.
Death is a re-birth..
A death of soul from his current envelope (his flesh body) is a re- birth of soul into the other form of existance. A death from this current world is a re-birth into the other world.
Therefore, as for the matters of ADAM, he is neither become a dead soul nor a lifeless soul at his death. Indeed He is alived and ever living souls in the other world, and so as the others whom life has been created and existed. Only that the different between all souls are the soul who knows HIS LORD and the soul who doesnt knows HIS LORD.
The one who knows HIS LORD are alive and the one who doesnt know HIS LORD are dead.
forgive me MY LORD..

But isn't a mirror a reflection, or an image, but not the real thing?

Wouldn't a soul have to have an age if created?
In order to have no age the soul would have to be un-created.

There is a difference in the teachings of the 'Bible hell' and the 'pagan hell'.
According to Psalm [16v10] God did not leave Jesus' soul in hell.
That is because God resurrected Jesus out of the Bible hell. [gravedom]
-Acts 2vs27,31,32.

Jesus believed the dead know nothing [Ecc 9v5] because Jesus taught the dead sleep the deep sleep of death until they are resurrected.
-John 11vs11-14.

Jesus would have learned about the sleeping state of the dead from the Psalms such as: Psalm 6v5; 13v3; 115v17; 146v4

If the soul was alive there would be no need for a resurrection anywhere to heaven or a resurrection back to life on earth.

atanu

Premium Member
Isn't 'hell' an English word whether one is talking about the 'pagan hell' or the
'Bible hell'? [Hebrew: sheol; Greek: hades/haides]

Mt. [10v28]: 'Destroy' both body and soul in [KJV] hell [sheol/hades]......
First of all, please note, as with Acts [3v23], the 'soul' can be 'destroyed'.

The word translated into English at Matt [10v28] as 'hell' is not the word 'sheol' or hades' but another word: Gehenna.

Gehenna was a garbage dump were things were destroyed not kept burning forever. So Gehenna [hell/hellfire] is just a fitting symbol for: destruction.
Destruction not by any human but destruction by God.

If you read Matt [10v28] without the word body the verse would read to be in fear of him that can kill the soul in the Gehenna garbage dump.

So, ones soul can depart in death. The dearly departed. Departed from life.
Gen [35v18] her soul [life] from the Hebrew: naphshah'; Greek: psykhen'.

Adam 'came to be' a soul, or Adam 'became' a soul. [Gen 2v7]
At death Adam was still a soul but Adam became a lifeless soul or dead soul.
-Ezekiel 18vs4,20

Isn't everything that is animated thus moves because it has spirit and energy?
We think of a high-spirited horse, or even a school pep rally used to create school spirit.

What would Not be fully correct about:
Acts [3v23] or James [5v20] or Psalm [78v50]?

VIP

I cannot argue or debate with you. It is an impossible thing.

The points that do not change:
  • The Soul departing, the body dies.
  • The Soul is not destroyable by killing but can be destroyed by Him.

atanu

Premium Member
And to some of us, the dissolution of Soul and re-absorption is not a bad thing at all.