• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where is the soul?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
If you believe in auras, then that would be the soul: the totality of the physical and mental being.
I think the center of our soul rests in our chakras, and the soul extends out from there.

Do you believe in auras?
Do animals, trees or vegetation have auras?

Adam came to be a 'living soul' according to Gen 2v7.
That would include all of Adam's physical and mental being.
At death Adam would become a 'dead soul' which includes all of Adam's physical and mental being.

Since Adam did not become a living soul until Adam received the 'breath of life' then soul with breath is a center connection in the sense the soul can not live without the breath of life. Breathless soul is a dead soul.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
So in this case that 'reconnection' would imply a reconnection of the dead soul with the original generative source of its life in order for it to become once again a living soul. In the case of Judeo-Christian theology that would require a restoration of the relationship with God that Adam sacrificed when he joined Eve and the 'Original Serpent' in their rebellion against that very source of life. Thus the bulb that was dead may be revived with a 'more perfect filament' than the one that has been passed down to us at this time. Would that agree with your thoughts on the matter?

We all know when the electric goes off, the light bulb goes out.
The electric needs to go back on in order to bring the light bulb back to' life'.

Since Jesus is the resurrection and the life, [John 11v25;14v6] then Jesus is the one that can turn on, so to speak, our 'lights' meaning return our life again.

Jesus showed that resurrection power, or returning-to-life power, with his dead friend at John 11 vs11-14.

Daniel [12vs2,13] believed many of those 'asleep' in the dust of the ground will awaken. Not awaken right away, but awaken from death's long sleep on resurrection morning, or Jesus millennial-long day of reigning over earth.
-Acts 24v15.

In the meantime, what could be better than to have an accurate knowledge of what the Bible really teaches?

Morpheus

"And now concerning thy question regarding the soul of man and its survival after death. Know thou of a truth that the soul, after its separation from the body, will continue to progress until it attaineth the presence of God, in a state and condition which neither the revolution of ages and centuries, nor the changes and chances of this world, can alter. It will endure as long as the Kingdom of God, His sovereignty, His dominion and power will endure. It will manifest the signs of God and His attributes, and will reveal His loving kindness and bounty. The movement of My Pen is stilled when it attempteth to befittingly describe the loftiness and glory of so exalted a station."

"The nature of the soul after death can never be described, nor is it meet and permissible to reveal its whole character to the eyes of men."

"Thou hast asked Me concerning the nature of the soul. Know, verily, that the soul is a sign of God, a heavenly gem whose reality the most learned of men hath failed to grasp, and whose mystery no mind, however acute, can ever hope to unravel. It is the first among all created things to declare the excellence of its Creator, the first to recognize His glory, to cleave to His truth, and to bow down in adoration before Him. If it be faithful to God, it will reflect His light, and will, eventually, return unto Him. If it fail, however, in its allegiance to its Creator, it will become a victim to self and passion, and will, in the end, sink in their depths."

- Baha'u'llah.

atanu

Premium Member
Where is the soul! Would you probably mean what is the soul? The soul is a condition, and condition is an arbitrary emanation which occupies no place in matter or in space. Soul is the combination of body with the breath of life. That's what we call the living soul. It comes from the word nephesh in Hebrew. When here in Israel there is an accident or terrorist attack, the first question is, "How many nephashote were there at the scene?" The dead ones are no longer nephashote but guffote, which means dead bodies. Once one is dead, the soul is non-existent. The body goes back to the dust and the breath of life (or spirit) goes back to God Who gave it. Being this a metaphor for the wind or atmosphere. (Eccl. 12:7)

That implies to me that there is nothing true other than breath of God.

an answer..probably uncommon to these boards...ah shakespeare was a front man for the real writer BA CON
BUT NOT AS TO THE SOUL AND THE BOARDS AND SHAKESPEARE A

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages.

And in the bible in hebrew
there is one's soul waiting for the player
to learn repentance so that he can return to his true self
his glorified soul body
that awaits all humans eventually
and the sole reason for the creation and existence of this solar system
and all that will remain when its purpose is done
the redeemed souls of humanity......

St Giordano Bruno

I think ever since Descartes had it cornered in what he thought was the pineal gland in the brain it slipped away. And even today is seems to be no locality in particular, because in spite of the best efforts of neural scientists it just keeps evading them. IMHO that is because it is more analogous to a computation of the brain like it operating system rather than a computer component of the brain like its CPU.

hmmm not sure about the breath of god
but methoughts what god is
totally consistent
and along with this about the state of humanity in this solar system
with some qualifications maybe
from ecclesiastes 7
(CEV) I did learn one thing: We were completely honest when God created us, but now we have twisted minds.
and the great universal untwister ... jesus
earned the right with more than one incarnation
his last before jesus was probably..
THE JOSHUA IN THIS PASSAGE
Zec 3:1 And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.
Zec 3:2 And the LORD said unto Satan, The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?
Zec 3:3 Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments, and stood before the angel.
Zec 3:4 And he answered and spake unto those that stood before him, saying, Take away the filthy garments from him. And unto him he said, Behold, I have caused thine iniquity to pass from thee, and I will clothe thee with change of raiment.
Zec 3:5 And I said, Let them set a fair mitre upon his head. So they set a fair mitre upon his head, and clothed him with garments. And the angel of the LORD stood by.
Zec 3:6 And the angel of the LORD protested unto Joshua, saying,
Zec 3:7 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; If thou wilt walk in my ways, and if thou wilt keep my charge, then thou shalt also judge my house, and shalt also keep my courts, and I will give thee places to walk among these that stand by.
Zec 3:8 Hear now, O Joshua the high priest, thou, and thy fellows that sit before thee: for they are men wondered at: for, behold, I will bring forth my servant the BRANCH.
Zec 3:9 For behold the stone that I have laid before Joshua; upon one stone shall be seven eyes: behold, I will engrave the graving thereof, saith the LORD of hosts, and I will remove the iniquity of that land in one day.
Zec 3:10 In that day, saith the LORD of hosts, shall ye call every man his neighbour under the vine and under the fig tree.

Where is the soul! Would you probably mean what is the soul? The soul is a condition, and condition is an arbitrary emanation which occupies no place in matter or in space. Soul is the combination of body with the breath of life. That's what we call the living soul. It comes from the word nephesh in Hebrew. When here in Israel there is an accident or terrorist attack, the first question is, "How many nephashote were there at the scene?" The dead ones are no longer nephashote but guffote, which means dead bodies. Once one is dead, the soul is non-existent. The body goes back to the dust and the breath of life (or spirit) goes back to God Who gave it. Being this a metaphor for the wind or atmosphere. (Eccl. 12:7)

NOT SURE IF MEANT IS that the soul is no longer there
or totally ceases to have any existence...
to be consistent with what the living soul is
the nephesh
i think it would be that it has eternal indiviuduality
that on one level is always one with god
tho it can temporarily lose touch with its true eternal self
by way of seeking self glory
rather than giving all glory to THE CREATOR...
reincarntion plays in here as actually part of biblical salvation i think

giving glory to the creator methinks is by way of this...
Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
"And now concerning thy question regarding the soul of man and its survival after death. Know thou of a truth that the soul, after its separation from the body, will continue to progress until it attaineth the presence of God, in a state and condition which neither the revolution of ages and centuries, nor the changes and chances of this world, can alter. It will endure as long as the Kingdom of God, His sovereignty, His dominion and power will endure. It will manifest the signs of God and His attributes, and will reveal His loving kindness and bounty. The movement of My Pen is stilled when it attempteth to befittingly describe the loftiness and glory of so exalted a station."
"The nature of the soul after death can never be described, nor is it meet and permissible to reveal its whole character to the eyes of men."
"Thou hast asked Me concerning the nature of the soul. Know, verily, that the soul is a sign of God, a heavenly gem whose reality the most learned of men hath failed to grasp, and whose mystery no mind, however acute, can ever hope to unravel. It is the first among all created things to declare the excellence of its Creator, the first to recognize His glory, to cleave to His truth, and to bow down in adoration before Him. If it be faithful to God, it will reflect His light, and will, eventually, return unto Him. If it fail, however, in its allegiance to its Creator, it will become a victim to self and passion, and will, in the end, sink in their depths."
- Baha'u'llah.

According to Scripture the nature of the soul is found at Genesis 2v7.

Adam came to be a living soul.
At death Adam came to be a dead soul.

Death is the opposite of life. At death Adam no longer lived anywhere.

-Ezekiel 18vs4,20; Acts 3v23

InvestigateTruth

"The human spirit may be likened to the bounty of the sun shining on a mirror. The body of man, which is composed from the elements, is combined and mingled in the most perfect form; it is the most solid construction, the noblest combination, the most perfect existence. It grows and develops through the animal spirit. This perfected body can be compared to a mirror, and the human spirit to the sun. Nevertheless, if the mirror breaks, the bounty of the sun continues; and if the mirror is destroyed or ceases to exist, no harm will happen to the bounty of the sun, which is everlasting. This spirit has the power of discovery; it encompasses all things. All these wonderful signs, these scientific discoveries, great enterprises and important historical events which you know are due to it. From the realm of the invisible and hidden, through spiritual power, it brought them to the plane of the visible. So man is upon the earth, yet he makes discoveries in the heavens. From known realities—that is to say, from the things which are known and visible—he discovers unknown things. For example, man is in this hemisphere; but, like Columbus, through the power of his reason he discovers another hemisphere—that is, America—which was until then unknown. His body is heavy, but through the help of vehicles which he invents, he is able to fly. He is slow of movement, but by vehicles which he invents he travels to the East and West with extreme rapidity. Briefly, this power embraces all things. " Abdulbaha - Some Answered Questions

http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/ab/SAQ/saq-36.html.utf8

Last edited:

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I think ever since Descartes had it cornered in what he thought was the pineal gland in the brain it slipped away. And even today is seems to be no locality in particular, because in spite of the best efforts of neural scientists it just keeps evading them. IMHO that is because it is more analogous to a computation of the brain like it operating system rather than a computer component of the brain like its CPU.
It's like the system BIOS. It boots the operating system and has some very basic memory functionality, it is just a "firmware interface" and the OS and the various programs it picks up do most of the actual work.

I'm new and I don't know how to quote people, but I would if I could. :|
Anyway, I'm not a theist, but I believe in souls (its complicated, trust me). I don't think that there is a physical manifestation of the soul that we could see in our dimension. My opinion is that biological electrical impulses are the evidence of a soul. That would mean that all animals have souls as well.
I don't know if the science of bio-electricity stuff supports my theory, but since when did theists let science get in the way of their beliefs?

renoshanker

I believe a soul is that which animates the body, the spark that jump starts your heart. Distinguishes a living body from a dead one. It resides through your entire body. Man/woman is a living soul.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I believe a soul is that which animates the body, the spark that jump starts your heart. Distinguishes a living body from a dead one. It resides through your entire body. Man/woman is a living soul.

Genesis 2v7 agrees with you that man/woman is a living soul.

At death man/woman becomes a dead soul.

Ezekiel 18vs4,20; Acts 3v23

jonadab

Definition: In the Bible, “soul” is translated from the Hebrew ne′phesh and the Greek psy·khe′. Bible usage shows the soul to be a person or an animal or the life that a person or an animal enjoys. To many persons, however, “soul” means the immaterial or spirit part of a human being that survives the death of the physical body. Others understand it to be the principle of life. But these latter views are not Bible teachings.

What​
does the Bible say that helps us to understand what the soul is?

Gen. 2:7: “Jehovah God proceeded to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man came to be a living soul.” (Notice that this does not say that man was given a soul but that he became a soul, a living person.) (The part of the Hebrew word here rendered “soul” is ne′phesh. KJ, AS, and Dy agree with that rendering. RS, JB, NAB read “being.” NE says “creature.” Kx reads “person.”)
1 Cor. 15:45: “It is even so written: ‘The first man Adam became a living soul.’ The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.” (So the Christian Greek Scriptures agree with the Hebrew Scriptures as to what the soul is.) (The Greek word here translated “soul” is the accusative case of psy·khe′. KJ, AS, Dy, JB, NAB, and Kx also read “soul.” RS, NE, and TEV say “being.”)
1 Pet. 3:20: “In Noah’s days . . . a few people, that is, eight souls, were carried safely through the water.” (The Greek word here translated “souls” is psy·khai′, the plural form of psy·khe′. KJ, AS, Dy, and Kx also read “souls.” JB and TEV say “people”; RS, NE, and NAB use “persons.”)
Gen. 9:5: “Besides that, your blood of your souls [or, “lives”; Hebrew, from ne′phesh] shall I ask back.” (Here the soul is said to have blood.)
Josh. 11:11: “They went striking every soul [Hebrew, ne′phesh] that was in it with the edge of the sword.” (The soul is here shown to be something that can be touched by the sword, so these souls could not have been spirits.)​

atanu

Premium Member
Genesis 2v7 agrees with you that man/woman is a living soul.

At death man/woman becomes a dead soul.

Ezekiel 18vs4,20; Acts 3v23

But.

Ezekiel 18 9Hath walked in my statutes, and hath kept my judgments, to deal truly; he is just, he shall surely live, saith the Lord GOD.

Have we seen any man/woman to not die?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
But.
Ezekiel 18 9Hath walked in my statutes, and hath kept my judgments, to deal truly; he is just, he shall surely live, saith the Lord GOD.
Have we seen any man/woman to not die?

If we could stop sinning we would not die.
Because of Adam our leanings our toward imperfection.
Jesus covers our sinfulness inherited from Adam.
Except for those of Matthew 12v32; Hebrews 6vs4-6,
Romans 6vs7,23 says the dead are freed or acquitted from sins.
That does not mean innocent but just as a judge can pardon a person so the crime [sin] charges no longer stick.

However, since we can not resurrect oneself [surely live] or resurrect another, then we need someone that can resurrect us to either heaven or on earth. Jesus can and he will. So, the dead [he shall surely live] of Ezekiel's day by being resurrected. 'Surely live eternally' starting with Jesus millennial reign over earth. Notice how Abraham thought at Hebrews 11v19.
Jesus will fulfill the promise to Abraham that all families of the earth will be blessed, and all nations of the earth will be blessed. Blessed with healing or curing of the nations. Rev 22v2; Gen 22vs17,18

St Giordano Bruno

I don't believe the soul is anything that carries the baggage and burden of sin after one dies. It is nothing more than an observation principle which creates an illusion reality is centred around a certain point where one "feels" they are the centre of the known universe. But that can only be put down to anthropic bias as the universe exists at a critical level of complexity at a certain spacio- temporal locality 13.7 billion years after the Big Bang. I think if my parents never met then there is a natural and spontaneous tuning effect which would just cause me to be born somewhere else because it is not possible to be aware of any of the trillions of other failed attempts to exist. It is only the expressions of existence that you can possibly notice anything. So the soul exists nowhere in particular, it is just an emergent property of heightened complexity, period.