• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where is the line between self-interest and selfishness?

Nechestiv

NOT ACTIVE
This may as well be asking for opinions, since I've seen selfishness delved into extremely deeply and philosophically to the point of meaning what I consider to be just self-interest.

I've seen selfishness described (and I believe that dictionaries line up with this) as an attribute that regards what one can do for themselves and NOBODY else. I've also seen a few people try to take that farther and suggest that giving up a piece of your cake to a loved on (as an example) is selfish because YOU gain the benefit of seeing the loved one happy.

I tend to lean towards the former explanation and see the situation as a new term; "sacrificial self-interest" :p. I cannot equate selfishness to sacrifice, but would love to hear anyone who can. I can see where anyone saying that giving up the cake would be, in the loosest of terms, self-interest, but I see it more as selfless sacrifice done to see the result, which would be the happiness of the loved one.

In interest of giving this thread something else to actually post about, I propose this question: where do you draw the line between selfishness and self-interest?

Perhaps you could be selfless and nice to many people only to use that new-gained trust to destroy them, allowing you to gain power by becoming what they were before you got to them. Would that be describe as selflessness? Selfishness? Selflessness and then selfishness? Undercover selfishness? Selfishness with sprinkles on top?
Perhaps I'm putting to much thought into a seemingly trivial matter...I'll just wait and see what this food for thought causes.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Depending the way you conceptualize "selfishness" it doesn´t need to be contrary to "selflessness"

I don´t deem the word "selfish" to be pejorative when you extend it to anything that causes you pleasure because wel all do what we do because it causes us pleasure at at least some way.

I woud say somebody is selfless when he derives pleasure from other people´s happiness more than his own. If that is selfish too, okay, but it is definetely the optimal and most desirable moral ground on my book.

Nechestiv

NOT ACTIVE
I feel saddened that there isn't much to comment on there, as I feel similarly. I just found the conversation [that I had with my father about this very issue] to be interesting. I can also agree with your definition of selflessness there. Hopefully this post will be meox mix for someone else's brain also so we can get a thorough discussion going.

I feel saddened that there isn't much to comment on there, as I feel similarly. I just found the conversation [that I had with my father about this very issue] to be interesting. I can also agree with your definition of selflessness there. Hopefully this post will be meox mix for someone else's brain also so we can get a thorough discussion going.

1. selfisness: doing anything for anyone to be thought of as good, to gain something from the one they helped and or Family. It is having self gain in mind behind the scenes.

2. Selflessness: no expectations, behind the scenes, one does what one does because it is right and they love their neighbor as themselves w/o any strings tied to it
sunshineydays

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Self-Interest - The needs and desires of oneself

Selfishness - an exclusive concern with oneself or concern with one's own interests.

I think the bold part is the main difference

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The distinction is only relevant if you think that intentions matter in evaluating human behavior. Some schools of philosophical thought - the exact one escapes me at the moment - couldn't care less what someone's intentions are. Intention is the only significant distinction I can see between terms like "self-interest" and "selfishness." Personally, I often side on the philosophy of caring what the real-world impacts are of someone's behavior rather than guessing at someone's intentions. I don't care much if a behavior is attributed as selfish or selfless; it's the practical outcome that matters.

idav

Being
Premium Member
The line come from the difference between what we want and what we need especially in relation to the needs of others.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The line is wherever one cares to draw it.

Nah......too glib. This is better....

Self interest: When the fruit of your actions benefit me too.
Selfishness: You didn't share with me.

connermt

This may as well be asking for opinions, since I've seen selfishness delved into extremely deeply and philosophically to the point of meaning what I consider to be just self-interest.

I've seen selfishness described (and I believe that dictionaries line up with this) as an attribute that regards what one can do for themselves and NOBODY else. I've also seen a few people try to take that farther and suggest that giving up a piece of your cake to a loved on (as an example) is selfish because YOU gain the benefit of seeing the loved one happy.

I tend to lean towards the former explanation and see the situation as a new term; "sacrificial self-interest" :p. I cannot equate selfishness to sacrifice, but would love to hear anyone who can. I can see where anyone saying that giving up the cake would be, in the loosest of terms, self-interest, but I see it more as selfless sacrifice done to see the result, which would be the happiness of the loved one.

In interest of giving this thread something else to actually post about, I propose this question: where do you draw the line between selfishness and self-interest?

Perhaps you could be selfless and nice to many people only to use that new-gained trust to destroy them, allowing you to gain power by becoming what they were before you got to them. Would that be describe as selflessness? Selfishness? Selflessness and then selfishness? Undercover selfishness? Selfishness with sprinkles on top?
Perhaps I'm putting to much thought into a seemingly trivial matter...I'll just wait and see what this food for thought causes.

IMO, anything one does for themselves is considered selfish.
Likewise, anything one does for someone else, can also be considered selfish.
Anytime a person is involved, there is a certain amount of selfishness involved with said action:
I stole the bread to feed me. Selfish
I stole the bread to feed MY children. Selfish (since they're MY children)
I stole the bread to give to the homeless woman. Selfish (since I stole the bread to give to her, which made her feel good which made ME feel good).
Rather or not these are considered a good or bad thing depends on the person, situation and standards of that society.

cablescavenger

I do not see a distinction, perhaps it is just me, but is this not two words used to describe the same thing?

it is a bit like asking ..

where do you draw the line between selfless and sacrifice, or selfless and unselfish.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I think Skwim nailed it. Self-interest is about how our interest in ourselves impacts us. Selfishness is about how our interest in ourselves impacts other people.

blackout

Violet.
Anyone then who has more than they need
when others around them don't have what they need
are selfish.

The 'american dream' itself
is selfish.

When people seperate their wealth for themselves
instead of sharing it with others around them in need,
or even those who simply have less
this is selfish behavior,
according to the responses in this thread.

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
IMO it's a dumb moralism.

We all take care of ourSelves
and our offspring and families first, foremost
and almost exclusively.

This is selfish.
and so what.

The very system we live in
demands and encourages it.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I think Skwim nailed it. Self-interest is about how our interest in ourselves impacts us. Selfishness is about how our interest in ourselves impacts other people.
I agree however selfishness gets a broader definition when you bring in the views of others. There is a difference between not sharing some xbox game vs not sharing the last piece of bread. It is important to distinguish need and want when talking about self interest and selfishness.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Anyone then who has more than they need
when others around them don't have what they need
are selfish.

The 'american dream' itself
is selfish.

When people seperate their wealth for themselves
instead of sharing it with others around them in need,
or even simply have less
this is selfish behavior,
according to the responses in this thread.
Having stuff isn't bad in itself. It is when people insist it be shared that greed comes to be an issue.

blackout

Violet.
Having stuff isn't bad in itself. It is when people insist it be shared that greed comes to be an issue.

I'm not the one who said it's bad.

I was just going by the descriptions of selfish put forth in this thread.

Greed can come to be an issue in many scenarios.

idav

Being
Premium Member

I'm not the one who said it's bad.

I was just going by the descriptions of selfish put forth in this thread.

Greed can come to be an issue in many scenarios.
Remarking to the american dream being selfish. Something that would be selfish would be hogging up the fresh water supply making other countries pay top dollar. Some of our dependencies are retarded like our dependency on oil. Oil companies were some of the top profit makers this past year.